The New Adventures of Beans Baxter
is an adventure/comedy television series that originally ran between 1987 and 1988 on the Fox television network.
The show revolves around the spy activities of Benjamin "Beans" Baxter Jr., a Kansas teenager who just moved with his parents and younger brother to Washington, D.C., as part of his father's reassignment as (Beans assumed) an employee of the US Postal Service. Beans witnesses his father's (presumed) assassination via a bomb placed in his postal vehicle, then gets hired by the mysterious "Number Two", an agent/second-in-command of The Network, a secret spy agency.
The main nemesis of The Network is the evil organization UGLI (the Underground Government Liberation Intergroup), headed by the equally evil Mr Sue (played by Kurtwood Smith).
Beans has many adventures while his mother remains completely oblivious. Beans' ultimate goal is to find his kidnapped father who is being held by enemy agents.
The New Adventures of Beans Baxter contains examples of:
- Batman in My Basement: In "There's No Place Like Omsk," Beans hides a Russian defector, who happens to look exactly like Miss Universe Shawn Weatherly.
- California Doubling: The series was shot in California and British Columbia, but is set in Washington, D.C.
- Embarrassing Last Name: The Big Bad was the unfortunately named Mr. Sue.
- Fun with Acronyms: U.G.L.I. (Underground Government Liberation Intergroup)
- Magic Plastic Surgery: The reason why in "There's No Place Like Omsk," the Russian defector looks exactly like Miss Universe Shawn Weatherly.
- Mind Control Music: The first episode had the villain using a singer's music to control the minds of teenagers.
- Science Fair: In "Beans' Under the Weather", Scooter invents weather-making machine for a science fair, and UGLI attempts to use it for their own ends.
- Shower of Awkward: The opening scene of "There's No Place Like Omsk" has Beans catching Soviet defector Svetlana (played by Miss Universe Shawn Weatherly) in the shower.
- Signed Up for the Dental: One of the henchmen says he joined UGLI for their dental plan.
- Teen Superspy
- Trigger Phrase: Beans is given the task of babysitting a robot, which becomes an unstoppable killing machine when it hears its trigger phrase. The phrase was designed to be the least likely thing for a person to say ("M. I. N. D. Mood"), but Beans had a dental appointment earlier and his mouth was numbed-up. When his girlfriend asked him if he was in the mood to make out, his slurred answer (of course) just happened to match the robot's trigger phrase.