The Doctor Blake Mysteries
is an Australian television series which premiered in 2013. The series stars Craig McLachlan in the lead role of Doctor Lucien Blake, who returns home to Ballarat in 1959
to take over his deceased father's general medical practice after an absence of 30 years. He also takes up his father's old position as police surgeon. Doctor Blake is a keeper of secrets and a solver of mysteries.
- Always Murder: Pretty much required, given the nature of the series.
- Animal Assassin: In "Death of a Travelling Salesman", the salesman is murdered by placing a venomous snake in his car.
- Bothering by the Book: Lucien uses the club's own rulebook to prove that he is allowed to hang a painting of a nude in the club's main lounge.
- Ditzy Genius: Simon is a mathematical whiz, brilliant engineer and all-round hyper-intelligent guy, who has absolutely no social skills or manners. He simply can't grasp the idea of why people have affairs, so emotionally ignorant is he.
- Foreshadowing: In the pilot, Blake warns Danny not to get in the habit of going behind his superior's backs. No points for guessing how he helps the Doctor out episode after episode...
- I Own This Town: Patrick Tyneman; which goes some way to explaining why Lawson hates him so much.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: "Brotherly Love" sees a policeman kicking a suspect who's just been arrested and wrestled to the ground, and having to be restrained. Somewhat justified in that he's apparently just brutally killed one of their number.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Lucien and Jean are mistaken for husband and wife on several occasions. They don't always bother to correct this.
- Like Father, Like Son: Blake alternates between this and I Am Not My Father. Somewhat unusual in that Dr Blake Snr is generally seen as a good guy, though it's implied he had some practices Lucien doesn't approve of; hence the oscillation.
- Mama Bear: Jean to Danny in particular, though Mattie and even Lucien can be this at times.
- Mysterious Past: Between his marriage, his addictive history, his military experience, his connection to the secret service; there's quite a lot that we don't know about Doctor Blake...
- Mystery of the Week
- Product Placement: In-universe - The eponymous "Game of Champions" is sponsored by Tyneman Electrics, as the titles and opening sequence and even prizes are keen to remind the audience.
- Race Against the Clock: In "Brotherly Love", Blake is trying to unravel a case before the suspect is hung...
- Smoky Gentlemen's Club: Lucien belongs to one and delights in pricking the pomposity of the other members.
- Suicide by Cop: A suspect attempts this at the start of "Brotherly Love". He charges towards the police, waving a gun and yelling that he has just killed a cop. When the police seem reluctant to shoot, he fires a shot into the air to provoke them. He is then shot by the police but survives.
- The Cast Showoff: In "Bedlam", we get a couple of long sequences of Blake playing the piano, with the camera circling to make sure we can tell it's Craig Lachlan himself playing...
- Trigger: The "Game of Champions" rigs the game against the reigning champion by using a phrase associated with his scarring childhood bullying.