Series: Hangin' with Mr. Cooper
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper is an American sitcom that aired on ABC from 1992-1997. For most of its run, it was on the TGIF Friday lineup.The series centered on former NBA player turned Cool Teacher Mark Cooper, along with his roommates, childhood friend Robin (who was later replaced by Mark's cousin from Georgia, Geneva, and her daughter, Nicole), and Vanessa. Mark's next-door-neighbor, Tyler, was also a cast member.
This series provides examples of:
- Away in a Manger
- Bratty Half-Pint: Nicole at times.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Some episodes have bits where Mark and other characters direct address the audience.
- Celebrity Is Overrated
- Cool Teacher: Mark.
- Couch Gag: During the first season.
- Country Mouse: Geneva.
- Crossover: With Full House.
- And on a much more...surreal note, ABC once aired a special advertising its Saturday Morning Cartoons at the time, hosted by the cast of Hangin' With Mr. Cooper. During the special, Megabyte (Yes, THAT Megabyte) shows up and attempts a Hostile Show Takeover.
- This was actually pretty common back in the day when ABC still had the Saturday Morning Cartoon as it was a way to showcase upcoming shows on it TGIF block. Fellow shows Family Matters, Step by Step and Sabrina the Teenage Witch did it as well.
- The Danza
- Drop-In Character: Tyler.
- Enormous Engagement Ring: Double Subverted when one of the two girls accepts a proposal from a supposedly rich suitor. The other woman comments on its size ("I can see where the Titanic hit it!"), but Mr. Cooper calls it a cubic zirconium. She refuses to believe that it's a fake until the stone in the ring breaks in some accident. It ends with the suitor having a real diamond as well, but he was going to switch it due to resizing or resetting issues.
- Gold Digger: Vanessa was this before she started dating Mark.
- Homage: The bully in the episode "My Bodyguard" was named after Scut Farkus from A Christmas Story
- Jaded Washout: Mark skirted pro basketball after college and played with them with a ten day contract for a story arc in the first season. It's a source of bitterness that he got cut, but knows few people get even the chance he did.
- Mama Bear: Geneva.
- Only Sane Woman: Geneva.
- Real Song Theme Tune: "Soul Man" during Season 2.
- Relationship Upgrade: Mark and Vanessa in the fourth season.
- Re Tool: The show originally started as a black version of Three's Company (three single people living together, one guy and two girls) but the show was re-worked after one season. Robin was replaced by Mark's cousin Geneva, two kid characters were added, and there was a bigger emphasis on Mark's job with the addition of Nell Carter as the principal and Geneva also getting a job as a teacher.
- Retroactive Recognition: There was a character played by a young Dante Basco.
- Sexy Santa Dress
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Geneva, after Robin's actress left the show.
- Vandalism Backfire: Tyler tries to stand up to a bully who is forcing Nicole to do his homework. Tyler grabs the paper and rips it to shreds, only for Nicole to inform him that he just ripped up her homework.
- X Meets Y: The series could be boiled down to Three's Company meets Coach. The show became more of a Work Com as it continued by focusing on Mark's job as a high school coach and a Romantic Comedy with Mark dating Vanessa and the other roommate switched out for his cousin.