Burn like my power...SINESTRO'S MIGHT!
To think that baldheaded fool
and that miserable clown
would have pages before me...
And now that I have one, beware...I will have my revenge.
Who am I, you may ask?
I am Sinestro.
Formerly Green Lantern
of the planet Korugar in space sector 1417 and arch nemesis of Earth's so-called premiere ring-bearer Hal Jordan. I was created by the likes of John Broome and Gil Kane - who incidentally, modeled me after a Terrestrial actor called David Niven - and made my debut in issue number 7 of the first series of Jordan's title in 1961.
I sought to use my ring to preserve order my way and had hoped to use my methods rather than those of the Guardians of the Universe to bring total peace to my planet, then my sector and finally the universe itself. I was known as the greatest Green Lantern and my sector was the safest in the universe. However, Jordan, that fool from that primitive planet Earth, didn't like the measures I took to make my sector safe
; he believed I was a dictator who ruled with an iron fist
and caused the Guardians to brand me a renegade and to send me to the Anti-Matter universe of Qward, where I was granted my own power ring, which was yellow in color. Of course that meant that the Green Lantern rings were powerless against it. Still, Jordan would manage to thwart my plans time and again, eventually resulting in my imprisonment inside the Central Battery of Oa while the Guardians went away with the Zamarons.
Eventually, the Guardians returned and called upon me to stop Jordan, who had gone mad due to the loss of his Terran hometown of Coast City and was seeking the power of the Central Battery. After an arduous fight, it appeared that Jordan had killed me prior to his entering the battery to become Parallax.
The truth was, that was a hard light duplicate created by the true Parallax and controlled by me. Once the Battery was destroyed, I was truly released and hid as I watched the Parallax-possessed Jordan become the very traitor that he despised me for being. What I did not count on was a surviving Guardian granting a power ring to a neophyte and dirty alley rat named Kyle Rayner. Soon enough, he had discovered the existence of Parallax. Of course, I made my presence known and was about to kill him and that miserable bowman
, when Jordan, who had previously sacrificed his life to reignite the Sun and become The Spectre
, came back to life, purged of any influence of Parallax. The two of us fought to a draw with Jordan damaging my ring, forcing me to escape to the Anti-Matter Universe.
Soon enough I encountered there the Anti-Monitor, who had engineered the Crisis on Infinite Earths
, and embraced the doctrine of spreading fear. In order to counteract Jordan and the reborn Green Lantern Corps (Whom I will admit have improved their rings to finally be able to directly affect the color yellow for at least their hardened troops), I decided to form my own army... the Sinestro Corps! I offered Rings like my own to the most fearsome warriors in the universe! Together we would spread fear and our own ways of policing the universe. Of course, the Green Lanterns had to be eliminated first.
Or at least, I had to make the Guardians change certain policies to truly make their corps a serious police force, ready to apply appropriate measures when necessary.
As it happened, I achieved that secondary goal and even my naive opponents like Jordan and Stewart grudgingly agreed with me in principle with this reform.
But that was only the beginning. Soon enough, more Ring Corps
emerged. The result... the Blackest Night
, followed by the so-called Brightest Day
After that fiasco, I was pulled into a hunt for the emotional entities. Then Krona reappeared and used the entity represented by my Corps, Parallax, to seize control of the Green Lantern Corps. With Parallax at his command, Krona overrode my ring and took it from me. After Jordan managed to kill him those idiotic Guardians expelled him from the Corps, resulting in his ring going to me, quite against my own objections.
I was captured by the Indigo Tribe at one point, and saved by Jordan. Finally, the Guardians finally proved
what I've always maintained: That they are evil and should be wiped out. Not long after, the so-called First Lantern
destroyed my home planet. I reclaimed the yellow light and vowed revenge, freeing my former Corps from their Sciencells on Oa, claiming Parallax for myself and aiding in the destruction of the First Lantern, followed by almost all of the Guardians themselves. With nothing left for me in this universe
, I left
to go on my own path.
But enough history.
I have been voiced by the likes of Vic Perrin and Don Messick
, Ted Levine
, John De Lancie
, Miguel Ferrer
, Xander Berkely
, Victor Garber
, Jason Isaacs
, Ron Perlman
and Troy Baker
. Mark Strong
portrays me in the film
. But I will never live down
the ...fact... that Charlie Callas played me as well.
Tropes associated with me:
- A Sinister Clue: Though "sinister" isn't the word I'd use, I am, in fact, left handed.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Of late with Jordan. You needn't read anything into it. It's just the most convenient posture since I extend my left arm to use my ring and he extends his right, nothing more.
- Badass: Green, Yellow, Indigo. Doesn't matter what color I wear, in the end I'm still one of, if not the, most powerful and skilled Lanterns in the universe.
- Badass Arm-Fold: Many times it isn't even worth it to raise a hand to my opponents. I can use my ring comfortably in such situations.
- Badass Creed: As the Green Lanterns have their oath, so do the members of my Corps. My oath, presented below, serves as the template:
In Blackest Day,
In Brightest Night,
Beware your fears made into light,
Let those who try to stop what's right,
Burn like my power... Sinestro's might!
- Of course, other members of the Corps have to say "his power".
- Badass Mustache: Would it not feel desperately wrong if I were to shave?
- Berserk Button: During the War of the Green Lanterns, that traitorous wretch Lyssa Drak had the audacity to attempt to imprison me in my own memories of my time as a Green Lantern. Once I realized the deception, I tore through the Book of the Black in order to make her know true suffering, but my attempts were thwarted by none other than the rogue Guardian Krona.
- Big Bad: What Jordan and the Guardians insist I am.
- Evil Plan: Likewise for my ultimate goal of an orderly and peaceful universe.
- Blood Knight: If you understood the beauty of combat as I do, you'd never be content to sit in a computer chair again, Troper.
- Break the Badass: That fool Gardner rightfully ridicules Jordan for the quality of Jordan's enemies... but not once has he dared make those jokes about me.
- Crazy-Prepared: Did you really think that I would gather the most fearsome beings in the universe, given them the ultimate weapon, and not be able to shut them down when one tried to use it against me? Mongul learned this the hard way...
- My Corps also learned this when they enslaved my homeworld...
- Depending on the Artist: The fools can never seem to decide what color my skin is, whether or not my ears are pointed, or the size of my forehead.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: While, obviously, I am a complete and unique entity, I have noticed certain disturbing parallels between my life and that of one of your Earth spirits. Consider that I was once the best and brightest of a heavenly host, whose refusal to bow to the narrow-minded and short-sighted dictates of my so-called superiors led to me being cast out, and becoming their greatest enemy. Of course, I do not believe that I have lost any paradise.
- Dragon with an Agenda: To the Anti-Monitor during my Corps' war against the Green Lanterns. Of course, everyone working under the Anti-Monitor had their own agenda, but I was one of the few to succeed in mine...
- The Dreaded: Even that arrogant fool Guy Gardner knows not to mention my name.
- Enemy Mine: To survive the Blackest Night I have had to form a cease fire with the Green Lantern Corps and work together with them and the other Corps. The truce is still intact (at least until we decide what to do with the missing emotion Entities and the White Lantern Battery that we've found on Earth).
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Arin...that woman...she was nothing at all.
- I wasn't going to hurt Arsona. She could have acknowledged me after all these years...
- Evil Counterpart: To Jordan, of all people.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: I was once a mere archaeology student on Korugar. Obviously my greatness would tell.
- Good Is Not Nice: As you humans say, that is my story and I am sticking to it.
- Green Lantern Ring: I started out with a regulation Green ring before gaining the Yellow one on Qward. Then I gained a White Lantern ring while playing host to the Anthropomorphic Personification of life itself, which was... interesting. I took my Yellow ring back, despite trying to prove once and for all that I was the greatest Lantern. Then I got a green ring back (quite against my own objections). Somewhere in the middle I was captured by the Indigo Tribe and used one of their rings. After being saved by Jordan, I switched back to green until after the Third Army crisis, where I have now regained my yellow ring.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: Due to the chances I might be without the aid of my power ring in this recent decade, I have revealed that I have excellent hand-to-hand combat capabilities.
- Human Aliens: How dare you slander my race by comparing us to such primitive creatures as Earthmen?! Indeed, you are Korugarian Aliens, bereft of our rich magenta hue.
- Legion of Doom: Yes, I have been a part of this particular group. So?
- Light Is Not Good: I am good and I do what is necessary to preserve order. My lantern's ability to instill fear aids the process. Do you not realize that some people should be afraid?
- Man of Kryptonite: At first, my ring was the very antithesis to those of my former colleagues in the Green Lantern Corps.
- Meaningful Name: So my name happens to sound like something evil in the Earthmen's language. It's probably what biased Jordan against me.
- Has it never occurred to those pathetic sub-species to think at all that in the dead Earth language they know as Latin, the word "sinestra" means "left hand", and that I happened to be left-handed?
- Real Men Wear Pink: Nay, real men are pink.
- Retcon: I was not raised from death in the 1990s by one of the Spectre's foes. I was alive and well at the time. That was a mind-trick played on the Spectre's host, the hated Hal Jordan, by Parallax.
- Soranik I am Your Father
- Utopia Justifies the Means: Of course, my methods seem harsh, but imagine how orderly and peaceful the universe would be with me in charge!
- Villainous Widow's Peak
- Was It Really Worth It?: I have sacrificed much to bring order to Korugar. My wife dead, my daughter raised by strangers, and betrayed by one of only two people in the Corps I considered a friend. And how does Korugar thank me? By declaring me as its greatest villain. That is my place in her history. But much more must be sacrificed if order is to be brought to the universe! And that abomination that took my wife's corpse had the audacity to ask me, "has it been worth it?" I...I don't...
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Once again, I deplore use of words such as "extremist", but I must use such tactics if order is to be kept in place.
- Willing Channeler: Parallax may have possessed his past hosts, but he has learned that I am the one who controls fear.
- Xanatos Gambit: The Sinestro Corps War wasn't merely an attempt to overthrow the Green Lantern Corps. It was a way to force the Guardians to do what was necessary to strengthen the Corps. Now that they can kill, the universe will fear the Green Lanterns. And the universe will be better for it.