Recap: Transformers Prime S 2 E 24 Patch
Starscream asks to return to the Decepticon fold in return for the 4 Omega Keys. Unfortunately for him, Megatron will not be played for a fool, and has Knock-Out freed from his wall, in order to use the cordical psychic patch to determine whether Starscream is really worth bringing back into the fold. What follows is essentially a character piece on who Starscream is, and how he has changed over the whole series, and how he hasn't. It even drudges up long gone plot points significant for other Decepticons on board, and nothing will be the same afterwards.
Tropes present in the episode
- Absentee Actor: Only Knock-Out, Dreadwing, Starscream and Megatron have speaking parts despite many events that happened with others around being in the memories. Probably to ensure that the actors and actresses don't have to be paid, which would include a couple who haven't been in an episode in months.
- Breather Episode: After a couple of hard episodes (for the protagonists, anyway) and before the big season finale, we have a quasi-clip show about Megatron and Starscream's relationship. And let's face it, people will always remember Starscream's dance above everything else from this episode.
- Cerebus Retcon: Inverted. When Starscream assumed leadership of the Decepticons, the scene was played entirely seriously. When the event is revisited here, Starscream is shown to have performed a comical victory dance immediately after the original scene ended.
- Chekhov's Boomerang: The cortical-psychic patch.
- Clip Show: Contains mostly footage of past episodes.
- Divided We Fall: Megatron gets smart about this in "Patch". He takes Starscream back despite his self-serving behavior and allows Knock-Out full return to duty despite his track record, since he cannot afford to have the Decepticons fighting among themselves if he is to revive Cybertron. In fact, that's pretty much what doomed it to begin with. Too bad one Decepticon didn't even stay to hear that. Though Megatron tells him this in the next episode, but that doesn't stop him from attempting to kill Starscream.
- Even Evil Has Standards: When Starscream complains that he went through much trouble to kill Cliffjumper, Megatron cuts him off:
- Megatron: Trouble would have been facing him as a gladiator!
- Gollum Made Me Do It: When Megatron sees Starscream's memory of cloning, Starscream tries to blame his traitorous desires on the clones. Megatron, naturally, doesn't buy it.
- Hanging Judge: Megatron takes on this role in deciding whether to welcome back Starscream or scrap him permanently.
- Humiliation Conga: Effectively a giant 20-minute one to Starscream, and by extension, Knock-Out.
- Oh Crap!: Starscream when Megatron tells him that he is entering his mind to see the truth of his loyalty.
- Knock-Out when Megatron views the memories of Starscream's deal with him during "Sick Mind". He actually contemplates killing him before Dreadwing stops him.
- Photographic Memory: Being Cybertronians, Megatron can jack directly into Starscream's mind and view his memories without distortion or concealment.
- Skyward Scream: Dreadwing does one upon hearing of his brother's fate.
- Status Quo Is God: Starscream is eventually welcomed back to the Decepticons after being rogue for the entire season.
- Title Drop: "Megatron sure knows how to patch things up."