- Combat Stilettos: Lampshaded, when the actress portraying Scully in the movie asks her how it's possible to run in heels that high. Scully then proceeds to teach her how.
- Face Palm:
- Mulder and Scully are in the theatre, watching a film based on one of their cases. Actors portray both Mulder and Scully. The audience chuckles, the actors look interested and pleased, Skinner looks happy. Scully watches the film in horror, but her shock and surprise is smaller than Mulder's, who just drops his head into his hands and hides his face completely.
- When Skinner tells Mulder that his friend from college, now a writer/producer, will shadow Mulder and Scully on their case, Mulder just rubs his forehead and asks if he pissed off Skinner more than usual.
- Funny Background Event: Scully teaching Tea Leoni how to run in high heels, while Mulder chats with Gary Shandling in the foreground.
- Saw "Star Wars" 27 Times: Mulder reveals that he's seen Plan 9 from Outer Space forty-two times. He claims that the sheer badness of the film numbs his brain, allowing him to make intuitive leaps and solve problems that have him stumped.Scully: You've seen this movie 42 times?
Scully: Doesn't that make you sad? It makes me sad.
- The Show Goes Hollywood
- Split-Screen Phone Call: Mulder, Scully, and Skinner in the hotel.
- Tag-Along Actor: A variation with a movie producer instead of actors following Mulder and Scully on an investigation.