Recap / The X-Files S07 E09 "Signs and Wonders"
Following a murder by snakebite, suspicion falls on Reverend Enoch O'Connor, pastor of a fringe church that uses snake-handling in its rituals.
- Continuity Nod: It's mentioned in "One Breath" that Scully is deathly afraid of snakes.
- Faux Affably Evil: The real Sinister Minister.
- Karma Houdini: Mackey escapes and starts a similar church in the Hamptons.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Both agents are on edge by the huge amount of snakes.
- The Reveal: Several.
- Gracie and Jared turn out to have left O'Connor's church to join Mackey's more tolerant beliefs.
- Then it turns out Enoch O'Connor is Gracie's father.
- Then it turns out that Gracie is pregnant but Jared was infertile and could not have been the father.
- So, it leads to O'Connor turning out to be the father of Gracie's baby.
- The final reveal is that O'Connor is not the father of the baby. In fact, Mackey is the father and he might not even be human. He is either the devil incarnate or a demon as evidenced by Gracie giving birth to snakes.
- Sinister Minister:
- Reverend Enoch O'Connor is a bible-thumping religious fanatic who keeps poisonous snakes with him. Ultimately subverted as he may be bible-thumping but he is on the side of right.
- Samuel Mackey pretends to be tolerant but is in fact extremely evil and might just be Satan himself.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: For Scully, literally. Though Mulder has different phobia and he's uneasy, too.