Recap: The New Batman Adventures E8 "Growing Pains"
Robin befriends Annie, an amnesiac girl with a dark secret.
- Animesque: A little more so than TMS's other episodes, with the look and feel of it in particular more closely resembling that of Studio Ghibli.note
- Anti-Villain: Clayface, but to a lesser extent than in "Feat of Clay" and "Mudslide". Considering he didn't think Annie was real, he logically wouldn't see anything wrong with reabsorbing her.
- Big "OMG!": When Batman discovers what the mud was.
- Break the Cutie: Happens to Tim Drake after Clayface absorbs Annie, causing Tim to brutally attack Clayface.
- Downer Ending:Batman: Sometimes, there are no happy endings.
- German Expressionism
- GPS Evidence: A little more justifiable here: Batman still took a random mud sample, but rather than discovering an obscure location from which it came, he instead discovered that it was part of Clayface... and he's unique.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Annie let herself be absorbed to save Robin.
- Hidden Eyes: Annie has them as soon as she realizes she's a part of Clayface.
- Line-of-Sight Name: Robin names Annie after seeing a girl holding a Brand X version of a Raggedy Ann doll.
- MacGuffin Girl: Annie, an amnesiac whom Robin falls for. It's revealed that she is merely a portion of Clayface, who later "murders" her by re-absorbing her. Tim is barely able to restrain himself from returning the favor.
- Shout-Out: Annie looks like a young Natalie Portman in The Professional.