This episode provides examples of
- Berserk Button: Kluh vows to finish off the other Turtles and Splinter once he's done with Mikey. This engages Mikey so much he turns the tables on Kluh.
- Big Brother Instinct: Don and Raph enjoy the prospect of Mikey getting smacked around by Kluh, but when told the combat has become a Duel to the Death, they're ready to jump in to help.
- Call It Karma: Mikey's been boasting about his Battle Nexus Championship for so long that his brothers and even Master Splinter are fed up with him. In addition, he believes he doesn't have to train because he's the champion. So when Kluh is granted a rematch and Mikey suddenly finds himself needing to train for the battle, Raph, Don and even Splinter enjoy the change in situation, and Splinter remarks that it is 'karma' for his behavior.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass / Hidden Depths: Michelangelo proves that when he pushed and/or focusing, he can be a very competent fighter.
- Duel to the Death: The Levram warriors change the rematch into a battle to the death, much to everyone else's dismay.
- Get It Over With: At the end of the fight:Kluh: Do it. Finish me!
Michelangelo: [lowering his weapons] I don't think so. My father taught me better than that. Besides, you're already finished.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: If Kluh and Ammag hadn't tampered with the battle, Kluh would have won, but by forcing Michelangelo to fight for his life, Kluh gave him the time and the incentive to pull out a win—and not by a technicality this time.
- No-One Could Survive That: When Leonardo reappears after being cornered by multiple Levram warriors, Ammag exclaims that "No one could defeat three Levram warriors! Impossible!" Obviously, Leo did.
- Not So Above It All: Splinter joins in when Don and Raph jokingly refuse to help Mikey train
- The Power of Love: While getting beaten during the fight, Mikey recalls what he was told earlier:Leonardo: In this life, we only have each other. If one of us goes down, we all go down, so focus.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming/ Sdrawkcab Name: Kluh and Ammag from the planet Levram.
- Sore Loser: Although Kluh has a point about only losing on a technicality, it eventually becomes clear that he doesn't really give a damn about the Battle Nexus Championship or its rules.
- Unexplained Recovery: The Battle Nexus Gyoji gots sucked into the vortex created by the Daimyo's warstaff in "The Big Brawl, Part 4", but is seen alive and well in this episode, with no explanation as to how he recovered.