Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 4 E 6 Grudge Match
Kluh, Mikey's opponent form the Battle Nexus Tournament, is back and wants revenge for being humiliated and defeated in the final. While the Daimyo grants a rematch, Kluh and his father Ammag are not satisfied with the rules of the Battle Nexus, and turn the fight into a battle to the death...
This episode provides examples of
- Berserk Button:
- Kluh vows to finish off the other Turtles and Splinter once he's done with Mikey. This engages Mikey so much he turns the tables on Kluh.
- Mikey saying he's Battle Nexus champion is this for Raph. Gets worse when Raph says he only won through dumb luck. Mikey reminds him who beat who in their match.
- Big Brother Instinct: Don and Raph enjoy the prospect of Mikey getting smacked around by Kluh, but when told the combat has become a Duel to the Death, they're ready to jump in to help.
- Brick Joke: When Raph says it's a wonder that Mikey doesn't wear his trophy around his neck, Mikey admits he tried and that the chain kept breaking. At the end of the episode, the Daimyo awards Mikey a medal that he will be able to wear around his neck. The other Turtles are less than pleased.
- Bring It: Mikey to Kluh when he's had enough.
"All right, if this is what you want, come on then!"
- Call It Karma: Mikey's been boasting about his Battle Nexus Championship for so long that his brothers and even Master Splinter are fed up with him. In addition, he believes he doesn't have to train because he's the champion. So when Kluh is granted a rematch and Mikey suddenly finds himself needing to train for the battle, Raph, Don and even Splinter enjoy the change in situation, and Splinter remarks that it is 'karma' for his behavior.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass / Hidden Depths: Michelangelo proves that when he pushed and/or focusing, he can be a very competent fighter.
- Duel to the Death: The Levram warriors change the rematch into a battle to the death, much to everyone else's dismay.
- Get It Over With: At the end of the fight:
Do it. Finish me! Michelangelo: [lowering his weapons] I don't think so.
My father taught me better than that. Besides, you're already finished.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Ammag saw to it that the laws of the Battle Nexus were magically altered so that Kluh could kill Mikey in the ring. In the end, though, the tables are turned.
Daimyo: Gaze what you have done, Ammag. Now, your son's life hangs in the balance. I will let Michelangelo decide your fate and the fate of your son.
- Humble Hero: In contrast to his earlier boasting, Mikey accepts his victory in stride and thanks Leo for helping him.
- It's Personal: For Kluh. By threatening the other Turtles and Splinter, he also makes it personal for Mikey.
- Let's Get Dangerous: Mikey during the fight.
- Man Hug: Mikey gives Leo one when he offers to train him.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: If Kluh and Ammag hadn't tampered with the battle, Kluh would have won, but by forcing Michelangelo to fight for his life, Kluh gave him the time and the incentive to pull out a win—and not by a technicality this time.
- No-One Could Survive That: When Leonardo reappears after being cornered by multiple Levram warriors, Ammag exclaims that "No one could defeat three Levram warriors! Impossible!" Obviously, Leo did.
- Not So Above It All: Splinter joins in when Don and Raph jokingly refuse to help Mikey train.
- The Power of Love: While getting beaten during the fight, Mikey recalls what he was told earlier:
Leonardo: In this life, we only have each other. If one of us goes down, we all go down, so focus.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming/ Sdrawkcab Name: Kluh and Ammag from the planet Levram.
- Sore Loser: Although Kluh has a point about only losing on a technicality, it eventually becomes clear that he doesn't really give a damn about the Battle Nexus Championship or its rules.
- This Cannot Be!: Ammag's reaction to Leo beating three Levram warriors by himself.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Played for laughs when Mikey is awarded a medal.
Don: And I thought the trophy was bad.
Raph: We're never gonna hear the end of this. I'm gonna have to move out.
- Unexplained Recovery: The Battle Nexus Gyoji gots sucked into the vortex created by the Daimyo's warstaff in "The Big Brawl, Part 4", but is seen alive and well in this episode, with no explanation as to how he recovered.