Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 4 E 14 The Ancient One
Master Splinter sends Leonardo to Japan to train with The Ancient One. Along the way Leo encounters many challenges, and a strange old man...First appearance of the The Ancient One
This episode provides examples of:
- Actually, I Am Him: The plot of this episode.
- Armor-Piercing Question: "If you did everything you could, then why are you still torturing yourself?"
- Flashback: Four brief ones interspersed throughout Leo's final fight. They're set during "Exodus Part 2" when the Shredder is locked outside the core room.
- Foreshadowing: The Ancient One offers to tell Leonardo a story about Master Yoshi.
- Gass Hole: Leonardo's traveling companion, in this episode at least
- Heel Realization: The entire point of this episode is for Leonardo to see what he's become and to heal. The final fight (where he realizes he's fighting his own rage and guilt) is the moment where it finally dawns on him.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Leonardo has an example of this when he loses control and injures Master Splinter. Although he doesn't actually say the line, the look on his face after it happens and his subsequent remorse show he was clearly shocked, and deeply regretted his actions.
- The Only One: Played for Drama. Flashbacks show the others (reeling from fighting with Shredder) barraging Leo with pleas for help and to come up with a plan.Donatello: Help me. I'm hurt.
Michelangelo: We're not gonna make it. Leo, help me!
Raphael: Leo, the Shredder's comin' for us! You gotta do somethin'!
Splinter: Save us, Leonardo! We are all counting on you, my son.
- Scenery Porn: The Hidden Land, whose background features an art shift, to boot.
- Sheathe Your Sword
- Trickster Mentor: The Ancient One, initially.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Raph calls Leo out for injuring Master Splinter when Leo loses control in a fit of rage.Raphael: Leo, what the shell is your problem?!
- You Did Everything You Could: The key realization that shakes Leo from his season long funk.