Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 4 E 22 Tale Of Master Yoshi
The power goes out in the Turtles' new lair, so Master Splinter suggests they tell stories to pass the time. Leo then starts to tell a story the Ancient One told him: the story of Hamato Yoshi
This is the 100th episode of the series, though the following episode was advertised as such during its' initial broadcast due to "Insane in the Membrane
" not being aired on 4Kids.
This episode provides examples of
- Adapted Out: As in the other adaptations, Oroku Nagi is nowhere to be found.
- Always Someone Better: Even as children, Yoshi always outdid Mashimi.
- Big "NO!": Yoshi when he discovers Tang Shen's body.
- Bittersweet Ending: This episode depicts Yoshi murdering his friend and adoptive brother Yukio Mashimi out of revenge for murdering Tang Shen and for telling the Foot where the Utroms were hiding. In the end, Yoshi has to leave Japan and move to North America to continue serving the Utroms. What's more, the audience already knows that Yoshi dies soon after at the hands of The Shredder.
- Cain and Abel: Hamato Yoshi and Yukio Mashimi.
- Childhood Friend Romance: The Hamato Yoshi / Tang Shen / Yukio Mashimi triangle features both types. Yoshi and Shen are Victorious Childhood Friends, leaving Mashimi as the unlucky one.
- Foreshadowing: At the end of the episode, the Ancient One approaches four shadowy figures who have decided to judge the Turtles.
- Friend to All Living Things: As Leo says, Tang Shen sees the rat in her kitchen as just a hungry creature and adopts him as a pet.
- Meaningful Name: Yoshi names his pet rat "Splinter" after The Ancient One warns him:
The Ancient One: Vengeance is like a splinter: it gets under your skin and can poison your life.
Hamato Yoshi: [Later, to his pet rat] ...I will name you 'Splinter', to remind me of what I have done, and what I have failed to do. And together we will remind each other of Tang Shen.
- My Greatest Failure: As noted above, Yoshi is aware of how he has failed and gives Splinter his name so that he'll never forget what happened.
- Narrator: Leo, for the opening, and for the story.
- Opposites Attract Revenge: Yoshi's love triangle with Mashimi over Tang Shen would help to set up a Cycle of Revenge.
- Origins Episode: For Yoshi and Splinter specifically. After Leo finishes the story, Splinter and Donny muse how they never would've mutated if not for these events.
- Posthumous Character: All three characters in the Hamato Yoshi/Yukio Mashimi/Tang Shen love triangle.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: The episodes blends material established on the show with elements of Yoshi's background from the Mirage comics.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Mashimi is the Red Oni, Yoshi is the Blue. Their outfits are even color-coded accordingly (except for Yoshi's yellow jumpsuit).
- The Resenter: Mashimi to Yoshi, as Yoshi keeps getting promotions in the Guardians and Tang Shen's affections.
- Revenge: A central theme. Mashimi wants revenge against Yoshi for upstaging him at every turn, while Yoshi seeks to avenge Tang Shen.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Yoshi to Mashimi.
- Shadow Archetype: Mashimi to Yoshi.
- Shout-Out: Two of Yoshi's outfits are an homage to Bruce Lee, the yellow jumpsuit from Game of Death, and the black uniform from Enter the Dragon.
- Single-Stroke Battle: Occurs between Hamato Yoshi and Yukio Mashimi.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Mashimi. Had he not revealed the Utrom base to the Shredder, the Utroms never would've relocated to New York—meaning Yoshi never would've been killed there, Splinter never would've found the Turtles, and the five of them never would've mutated.
- Sound-Only Death: Tang Shen.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Mashimi takes Oroku Nagi's role in the Love Triangle.
- Unknown Rival: Yoshi had no idea how much Mashimi had grown to resent him.
- Whole Episode Flashback: To tell Hamato Yoshi's story.
- You Have Failed Me: Given a twist after the Utroms and Guardians escape in their pods. The Shredder is most displeased with Mashimi for this, but he doesn't kill him on the spot for this. When Yoshi storms Foot headquarters, Shredder decides that Mashimi will be only be spared if he defeats his old friend in one-on-one combat. Mashimi loses and is killed.