This episode provides examples of
- Foreshadowing: There are four members of the Ninja Tribunal, but five chairs. They also wear variations of the Shredder's armor.
- Genre Savvy: Chikara goads the assembled warriors into fighting by noting who will suffer should the coming evil prevail."Like your aunt in Kumamoto, Joy. Or your brother in Miami, Adam. Or the rat that you four call your father."
- Honor Before Reason: The Ninja Tribunals' wooden warriors are supposed to bring in their targets, but in a fair fight. When Leo loses his sword, the warrior he's fighting gives it back before continuing fighting.
- Let's You and Him Fight: The Ninja Tribunal try to make the Turtles and the warriors fight each other. They all refuse.
- No Name Given: The members of the Ninja Tribunal. They won't reveal their names (or faces) until the next episode.
- Oh Crap!: The Turtles when they see the Ninja Tribunal wears Shredder armor.
- Secret Test of Character: The Ninja Tribunal's first test.