Season 4, Episode 10
Heaven And Hell
Castiel and Uriel are all ready to fight their way through the Winchesters to get to Anna when, poof, they disappear. Anna smeared her blood on a mirror, making a very effective angel-vanishing rune thing.
The boys take her to Pamela. Remember her? Castiel burned her eyes out? She's still on the ball however, and helps Anna get her to remember what's really happening. Turns out Anna was an angel who fell from heaven. To do so, she had to cut out her grace, which seemingly is like cutting out your liver with a blunt knife.
Ruby, Sam, Dean and Anna go look for the grace, because that will turn her back into an angel. The demons are still after them so they can use Anna to hear angel talk, and the angels are after her to kill her for disobeying orders. The only safe option is to go back to being an angel, though she doesn't want to. Dean comforts her in the backseat of the Impala.
Ruby tries to cut a deal with Alastiar, saying she'll give him Anna if he leaves her and the boys alone. He decides to torture her instead.Uriel tells Dean if he doesn't give up Anna, they'll kill Sam. Anna understands, and faces it bravely, but kisses Dean first. Castiel, who we find out, "likes Dean", looks grumpy about this. She's about to be killed when the demons show up, and a bloodied Ruby with them.
It all ends when the demons and angels have a showdown, the angels win, Anna steals her grace back and Alastair disappears with her.
Dean finally tells Sam about hell. It's not pretty.
For this episode = 3 demons.
For the series so far = At least 275 humans (of which 5 were witches), 61 demons, 25 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, and 1 wendigo.
- Anyone Can Die
- Body count for this episode = three demons.
- Auto Erotica: Dean, Anna, and the Impala.
- The Bechdel Test: Passed, thanks to Ruby, Anna, and Pamela.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: Anna slits her wrists and uses her own blood to draw a symbol on the mirror that forces Castiel and Uriel away.
- Averted, the sigils she used always require blood when drawn.
- Deal with the Devil: When she learns that Anna can't protect them without her missing grace, Ruby tries to make one with Alastair: Anna for the safety of herself and the Winchesters. It backfires on her when Alastair decides to just capture her and torture the info out of her instead. Which actually was their plan all along.
- Gory Discretion Shot: When Alastair is carving Ruby up, all you see is blood dripping into a sink.
- Heavenly Blue: When Anna gets her grace back.
- I Have Your Wife: Uriel manages to strong-arm Dean into giving Anna up by threatening to kill Sam.
- Must Not Die a Virgin: Played with. Anna isn't going to die but she won't be human anymore and, apparently, angels can't have sex.
- Our Angels Are Different: How different is expounded on a little bit here; they become human(-ish) if they lose their grace, which Anna describes as "pure creation" (it even made a centuries-old oak tree within months of landing on Earth).
- Scar Survey: Anna puts her hand over the scar handprint on Dean's arm.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: Pamela's reaction to Anna revealing she's actually an angel. Of course, it's justified, seeing as how the last angel Pamela came into contact with burned her eyes out of her sockets.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: Sam came up with the idea of Dean and Ruby giving away Anna's location to angels and demons so that the two sides would be too busy fighting each other to zero in on them. Of course, since the audience didn't see him telling them that, it just looks like they both betrayed Anna up until aforementioned plan is actually brought up on-screen.
- Summon Bigger Fish: Sam's entire plan. He pits Alistair and the angels against each other. At one point, he even calls it Godzilla fighting Mothra
- Unusual Euphemism: "You cut yourself a slice of angel food cake."