Season 4, Episode 9
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Ruby tells Sam and Dean that a powerful demon named Alastair is searching for an escaped mental patient named Anna Milton who can hear the angels' conversations. Dean still doesn't trust Ruby, and asks Sam to explain why he trusts her. Sam asks Dean what he remembers from hell. Neither will tell.
They find Anna's parents first, dead. They figure that Anna is religious and hiding from demons, and correctly guess she's hiding out in the church.
When they find her, all it takes is saying that they're Dean and Sam. She knows all about them. Turns out she tunes into the angel's conversations, and has heard all about the brothers. Sam isn't too popular upstairs. The first words she heard, clear as a bell, were "Dean Winchester has been saved."
Ruby arrives in a panic. Alastair is coming. A statue of an angel starts weeping blood, marking his arrival. He attacks the Winchester's as Ruby and Anna escape. The boys lose Ruby's knife in the ensuing fight, and only make it out by jumping through a church-window, and then only because Alastair wanted them to led him to Anna.
The boys were badly beaten, dislocated shoulders, self-administrated stitches, the works. Dean lashes out at Sam for trusting Ruby, believing that they were set up, that now she's gone and killed Anna. Sam reveals how she saved his life during Dean's imprisonment in Hell. She taught him how to use his powers, comforted him, hint hint, and saved his ass again and again.
Eventually the boys go to the cabin where Anna and Ruby are. The lights start flashing. They think they're done for, but it's just Castiel and Uriel, demanding to be taken to Anna, but not for the reason Dean hopes.
For this episode = 6 humans and 5 demons.
For the series so far = At least 275 humans (of which 5 were witches), 58 demons, 25 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, and 1 wendigo.
- After Action Patchup: In the motel.
- Anyone Can Die: Body count for this episode = six humans and five demons.
- At the Crossroads: Sam attempted to make a crossroads deal but fails because the demons want Dean in Hell.
- Brain Bleach: Dean did not need to hear about his brother doing it with a demon.
- Cassandra Truth: Anna tries to warn people of the upcoming Apocalypse. She's forcibly committed to a mental institution for her troubles.
Castiel: We're here for Anna.
Dean: Here for her like... here for her?
Uriel: Stop talking. Give her to us.
Sam: Are you gonna help her?
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Alastair vs. the Brothers Winchester, who are armed with Ruby's demon-killing knife. It does not end in Sam'n'Dean's favor: they end up having to jump through a window and run away to lick their wounds, and the only reason they even get away with that much is because Alastair lets them so they can lead him to Anna.
- Despair Event Horizon: Sam is revealed to have passed this in the aftermath of Dean's death.
- Drowning My Sorrows/The Alcoholic: Sam after Dean's death. Ruby makes him promise to stop if he wants her help in killing Lilith.
- Hearing Voices: Anna, which gets her locked up for schizophrenia when she's really just tuning in to "angel radio", as Dean oh so eloquently puts it.
- Light Is Not Good: The angels want Anna to be turned over to them, not to protect her, but to kill her.
- Mind over Matter: Anna uses her mind to shove a drawer into the possessed nurse hard enough that it knocks him out. His head hits the door so hard that it cracks the glass panel.
- No Sell: Neither Sam's powers nor Ruby's knife works on Alastair. Played with in Sam's case as his powers do work eventually, he's currently not powerful enough
- Prophet Eyes: When Sam tries to exorcise Alastair, it just makes the demon cough politely and his eyes turn white like Lilith's, instantly marking him as a huge threat.
- Psychic Powers: Anna is telepathic (she hears angels talking in her head) and telekinetic. Flashbacks reveal how Sam worked with Ruby on his own powers to get strong enough to psychically exorcise demons.
- Sassy Black Woman: The maid Ruby temporarily possesses to deliver a message to Sam and Dean. Hilarity Ensues.
- Seeking Sanctuary: With the demons chasing her, Anna hides in the attic of her father's church, not realizing that this show's demons can indeed enter hallowed ground.
- Separate Scene Storytelling: Sam sums up his experiences while Dean was in Hell via Flashbacks.
- Sex for Solace: The flashback of Sam and Ruby in the cabin. Sera Gamble says, "We were asking ourselves, 'Where's the lowest place Sam can go in a state of despair?' That's why calling it a love scene strikes me as hilarious. It's kind of like self-mutilating and calling it getting dressed for the prom."
- Stab the Scorpion: In flashbacks, Ruby has another demon grab Sam. She takes her knife back from Sam and, revealing that Lilith had let her out of Hell to kill him, holds it up to kill him before she uses it to kill the other demon instead.
- Super Window Jump: Sam and Dean jump out of a window in the attic of a church in order to escape Alastair.
- Tears of Blood: A statue in the church begins shedding these as Alastair is arriving.
- Too Much Information: Spoken word for word by Dean about Sam and Ruby's sex scene. Exactly how much detail did Sam go into?
- You Can See Me?
Anna: (terrified) Your face—What happened to your face?!