Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 07 E 03 Afterimage
The first of several Ezri episodes in the 7th season. Ezri Dax, the newest host of the legendary Dax symbiont, struggles to adjust to Jadzia's memories aboard Deep Space 9. While most of the crew is supportive of her efforts, Worf, still reeling from Jadzia's death, shuns the newest Dax. And when Ezri attempts to diagnose the cause of Garak's claustrophobia, it turns out to be much more than she bargained for.
This episode contains the following tropes:
- Break the Cutie: Garak's soul-crushing speech to Ezri.
- The Cobbler's Children Have No Shoes: Ezri is assigned to counsel Garak, but Ezri needs some counseling herself, particularly after Garak's "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Continuity Nod: Ezri mentions that Tobin (host #2) could never discipline his children. Based on what we've seen of him, that's entirely believable.
- Cruel to Be Kind: Sisko gives Ezri a second tongue-lashing after Garak's to help her get her head on straight.
- Jerkass Has a Point: All those people at Quark's were positively sitting on Garak's shoulder.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Garak knows that because of his codebreaking, millions of his people will die in the war.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: Worf's reaction to O'Brien showing up with another bottle of bloodwine. O'Brien offers to skip the drinking and gets straight to the important stuff.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Garak tears into Ezri with quite a venomous talking to.
Garak: Spare me your insipid psychobabble. I'm not some quivering neurotic who feels sorry for himself because his daddy wasn't nice. You couldn't begin to understand me! I want someone to help me get back to work. And you, my dear, are not up to this task. I mean, look at you. You're pathetic – a confused child trying to live up to a legacy left by her predecessors. You're not worthy of the name "Dax." I knew Jadzia. She was vital, alive. She owned herself, and you... you don't even know who you are. How dare you presume to help me? You can't even help yourself. Now, get out of here before I say something unkind.
- Testosterone Poisoning: Sisko can't help roaring with laughter when Ezri lets slip that he intimidates Worf. He then tries to cover his reaction, but Ezri points out that she's been a man and so knows why Sisko is getting off on this.
- You Do Not Want To Know: Bashir doesn't want to know what a "tympanic tickle" is while treating Quark.