Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 04 E 12 Paradise Lost
As Starfleet enforces sweeping security reforms on Earth, Sisko investigates the threat of Changelings and the Dominion. But mounting evidence indicates the entire situation could be an inside job.
- Bavarian Fire Drill: Sisko hauls in a Red Squad cadet for a chewing out, making the cadet beleive Sisko's in league with Leyton. Sisko then demands the cadet walk him through the plan to sabotage the planetary power grid to explain their "damn sloppy work".
- Frame-Up: Leyton fakes a blood screening to make Sisko look like a Changeling infiltrator, thus getting him out of the way.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Admiral Leyton's methods to "Strengthen Earth" wind up shifting into violent zealotry. He's basically trying to establish a burgeoning dictatorship.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Insane Admiral Leyton sets the Lakota against the Defiant by convincing Captain Benteen that the latter ship is full of changelings.
- Not Me This Time: Yes, Changelings have infiltrated Earth. But they're innocent in this particular instance.
- Paranoia Gambit: Changeling!O'Brien elaborates on this to Sisko. There are only four changelings on Earth, but just the mere thought of infiltration has sent the planet into panic.
- Sheathe Your Sword: The Defiant has the Lakota on the ropes, but doesn't deliver the killing blow. This convinces Benteen to disobey her orders and turn on Leyton.
- That's an Order: When Nog is reluctant to provide Sisko with the names of Red Squad, Sisko points out that it wasn't a request. He wants a name, he wants it now, and that is an order!
- Villainous Breakdown: Leyton seems to start one as his plans go south, but ultimately reigns it in and resigns quietly.