- Call Back: Kira asks Odo why he doesn't wear a belt anymore. He wore one for the first six episodes of Season 3.
- I Feel Angry: Well, lovestruck and jealous. Two things Odo isn't accustomed to.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Odo gets so distracted by his jealousy that he fails to authenticate a (faked) message from Worf, which nearly gets Shakaar killed. Afterwards, Sisko says it's completely unlike the Constable to make such a mistake.Sisko: They say to err is human but you're not human, Odo. You're not even humanoid.
- Stalker with a Crush: Odo spends most of the episode shadowing Shakaar and Kira. He insists it's for security, but it's painfully obvious he's there as a deliberate Third Wheel.
- Tsundere: Of a non-romantic variety. Quark checked on Odo only cause his mood was interfering with his business. And Odo wasn't getting his floor soundproofed for Quark. There just happened to be soundproofing in it.