Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 04 E 14 Return To Grace
Dukat (busted down to hauling freight after "Indiscretion") and Kira go after a Klingon Bird of Prey that destroyed a diplomatic outpost, but are hampered by their rinky-dink ship and lackluster weaponry.
- Asskicking Equals AuthorityK'Temang: I'm confiscating your ship and its cargo.Dukat: On whose authority?K'Temang: (Slasher Smile) On the authority of the Klingon Empire, and the disruptors I have pointed at your vessel.
- Boarding Party
- Blood Knight: Dukat only gets close to convincing Kira to join him when he offers her a long fight against impossible odds, instead of her padd-punching job on Deep Space Nine.
- Boring but Practical: Major Kira explains why the Bajoran Resistance wasn't interested in Federation-made phaser rifles, instead opting for the Cardassian disruptor rifle. While the phaser rifle has all kinds of cool, neat gadgets and add-on features, in the field (when you don't have proper maintenance facilities and spare parts and the like) that's just more things to go wrong with it. A Cardasian disruptor only has stun and kill settings, but you can lean it against a tree and leave it for ten years and it'll still work without trouble.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Damar, who will pay an important role in later seasons, is introduced.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Dukat never blames Ziyal for his fall from grace, and openly treats her as his daughter.
- Dukat says his disgrace is temporary. This seems like his usual arrogance to Kira but you can't help wondering if he had feelers out to the Dominion even then.
- Dukat asks Kira to stay as his adviser on guerrilla tactics. In Season 7 Kira acts in this role to the dissident Cardassian military officers fighting the Dominion.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Dukat is now captain of a military supply freighter. His mother has disowned him and his wife has left him — this is Serious Business given the Cardassian emphasis on family.
- Improvised Weapon: Kira tells Dukat he's got to start thinking more flexibly. "When you need a hammer and you don't have one, use a pipe!" So they install a ground-based disruptor cannon from the destroyed outpost in the cargo bay. The cargo ship's systems really can't handle firing it either.
- Indy Ploy: "I think it's time to improvise!"
- Manipulative Bastard: Kira says that Shakaar took her out to dinner and gave her a massage before asking her to volunteer for the liaison meeting with the Cardassians. Dukat in turn enjoys dropping tales of Shakaar's reputation as The Casanova in an attempt to turn Kira against her current beau.
- No, Mr. Bond, I Expect You to Dine: It's Cardassian tradition for The Captain to entertain his guests, so Dukat invites Kira to dinner. Kira doesn't want to refuse in front of Ziyal, so agrees.
- Not So Different: Dukat tries arguing this, which Kira refuses to accept.
- Not So Dire: Dukat has his freighter crew doing weapons drills on asteroids.
- Not Worth Killing: Dukat gets depressed when the Bird of Prey just flies off after being fired upon, not even bothering to destroy them.
- Power Is Sexy: Dukat suggests that Kira, having dated both Vedek Bareil and now First Minister Shakaar, is attracted to powerful men, and this might be a good incentive to get his own rank back. Kira just laughs.
- Shock and Awe: Kira kicks a Klingon into a sparking instrument panel.
- Take No Prisoners: After beaming the Klingons to his own vessel, Dukat blows it up.Kira: Was that necessary?Dukat: You're the terrorist. You tell me.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Dukat delivers one on his own species when the Detapa Council opts for a diplomatic solution.Dukat: There was a time when the mere mention of my race inspired fear. And now... we're a beaten people. Afraid to fight back because we're afraid to lose what little is left.Kira: That's not the Cardassians I know.Dukat: What Cardassians? Don't you see, Major? They're paralyzed. They're beaten and defeated. I am the only Cardassian left, and if no one else will stand against the Klingons, I will.
- This Is Unforgivable!Kira: What your father wants is forgiveness. And that's one thing I can never give him.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Dukat can't help making some snide comments about Shakaar, but Kira doesn't let him get to her.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: After Dr Bashir injects Kira with a vaccine.
- Well Done Daughter Girl: Ziyal
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: Kira is understandably not psyched about all the praise she gets from Dukat.
- You Remind Me of X: Kira takes Ziyal with her back to Deep Space Nine, because she reminds Kira of herself at that age, and Kira doesn't want her to go through what she did.