A bombing at a Romulan-Federation peace conference confirms the worst: The Founders have infiltrated Earth. And the methods to protect the planet may send the Federation into jackbooted paranoia.
- The Big Easy: Still has such things as horse-drawn carriages and a Creole restaurant with non-replicated food.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: What Sisko's father fears the Federations "Protective measures" will bring about.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: President Jaresh-Inyo isn't a bad guy. He's a just a peacetime president in a bad situation.
- Orphaned Punchline: Courtesy of Quark.
Quark: Then the Andorian says "That's not my antenna!"
- To Absent Friends: Bashir and O'Brien toast their fallen holographic squadmate.
- You Look Familiar: You may recognize Commander Benteen as Leah Brahms from TNG's "Booby Trap" and "Galaxy's Child".
- And dear old dad Joe Sisko looks a lot like Admiral Cartwright.
- Robert Foxworth (Admiral Leyton) would later return on Star Trek: Enterprise as the Vulcan administrator V'Las, who was very much like Leyton.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Sisko's dad gives him a huge butt-chewing for thinking that he might be a changeling.