Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 03 E 26 The Adversary
The newly promoted Captain Sisko and crew head for the Tzenkethi system to quell possible violence from a coup. But things take a turn for the worse when a saboteur begins to interfere. And not just any saboteur. A Changeling.
- The Captain: Sisko officially becomes this after three seasons of Commanding Coolness.
- Captain's Log: Sisko's first entry as Captain.
- Let's You and Him Fight: The Founders' plan is to make the Federation and the Tzenkethi fight each other, weakening both of them.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Odo doesn't say it, but it's written all over his face when he kills the changeling.
- Paranoia Fuel: A quite unsettling In-Universe example. The end of episode quote sums it up.Odo: You are too late. We are everywhere.
- The Bolian is quite paranoid about whether or not Kira is the changeling.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Odo resisting the changeling's attempt to turn him against Starfleet: "I...don't...think...so!"
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: Sisko is willing to use it to keep the Founder-controlled Defiant from attacking the Tzenkethi. Fortunately, he aborts it just in time. Complete with a verbal version of a Two-Keyed Lock (voice authorizations from Sisko and Kira).
- Shout-Out: The paranoia plot and need for blood screenings comes from John Carpenter's The Thing (1982).
- Spot the Imposter: Subverted when O'Brien is faced with two Odos, but doesn't bother trying to figure out who's who. Instead, he has his assistant hold them both at gunpoint while he keeps working.
- Tempting Fate: Odo remarks about how no changeling has ever harmed another and how he's never had to kill anyone. Guess what happens during the climax.
- That's What I Would Do: Eddington encourages Odo to do this regarding the changeling. Unfortunately, Odo's understanding of his own people is too limited to be of much help.