"The scene in which Johnny names ingredients in his stew quickly became a running gag and one of the writers' favorite moments from the series. Writer Kevin Murphy stated that his world-weary sigh of "onions..." made Johnny Longbow one of the "best" characters they've ever encountered."Mike, Servo and Crow prove that the whole silly affair involving a one-dimensional scientist turning into a liazrd creature via a moon rock makes for great Snark Bait. Note that, rather improbably, this is actually the fourth movie the show featured about a guy named Paul turning into a monster, preceded by The Crawling Hand, The Projected Man and Werewolf. Shares many odd similarities with Werewolf, in fact - guy named Paul, Southwestern US, Native American folklore, ditzy girlfriend...
—Wikipedia on Track of the Moon Beast
Tropes present in this episode:
- Acting Unnatural: When Mike discovers the 'bots peeping on him, Crow to advise acting natural. It takes 2 seconds for both 'bots to crack.Servo: TAKE OFF YOUR ROBE!!!
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: After Longbow's slideshow presentation of the lizard myth:Longbow: I know what you're thinking...Servo: I'm boring and my slideshow eats.
- Big, Stupid Doodoo-Head: Bobo's end of the Volleying Insults with Observer in the final segment.Observer: You ignoramus!
Bobo: You stupid-head!
Bobo: You dodo-head!
Observer: Credit risk!
Bobo: Dummy... head!
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Mike adds "... hair" to Johnny's recipe.
- Servo precedes the list with "Velveeta, rattlesnake...." (Although rattlesnake meat is actually quite good).
- Cliché Storm: Played with in-universe. Mike's take on "The Band That Played California Lady." Every troubled rock band issue you can think of shows up.
- Deep-Fried Whatever: Crow and Servo order an onion blossomer, and proceed to blossom and deep-fry everything in sight, including a bowling ball, a caulking gun, and Mike's wallet. Crow and Mike then deep-fry Servo's head. Servo is alarmed at first (Mike: "Oh come on, you didn't even miss it!"), but then finds that he tastes delicious.
- Brick Joke: Pearl addresses the S.O.L. crew as: "Mike, Crow, snack."
- Does This Remind You of Anything?, Double Entendre: Quite a few are made about Johnny Longbone.
- "She gets off the ground saying 'What happened?' a lot."
- Don't Explain the Joke: Following the lengthy explanation of the prank:Kathy: Am I forgiven?
Crow: Only if you stop explaining it!
- Epic Fail: The prank in the movie was pretty pathetic, but here, Mike doesn't even really react. Crow, however, completely falls apart over what he perceives as a needlessly cruel prank (while Mike continues to sit there quietly).Crow: ...I hate myself.
- Native American Casino: The final riff of the film.Servo: (as Johnny Longbow) I see... a huge casino!Mike: Oh, come on...
- The gang loves calling him "Longbone", with plenty of Double Entendre jokes.
- They also hear Budd Keeler as "Butt Healer".
- Running Gag: Johnny's stew and "California Lady" both get mocked savagely throughout the movie.
- Sanity Slippage: After the prank (like in the movie) goes wrong.
- Sex Equals LoveCrow: And they proceed to do it because they love each other!
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Mike gives us a complete summation of the meteoric rise and meteoric-er fall of The Band That Played California Lady in a sketch parodying VH-1's Legends (complete with Kris Kristofferson impression).