"The scene in which Johnny names ingredients in his stew quickly became a running gag and one of the writers' favorite moments from the series. Writer Kevin Murphy stated that his world-weary sigh of "onions..." made Johnny Longbow one of the "best" characters they've ever encountered."Mike, Servo and Crow prove that the whole silly affair involving a one-dimensional scientist turning into a liazrd creature via a moon rock makes for great Snark Bait. Note that, rather improbably, this is actually the fourth movie the show featured about a guy named Paul turning into a monster, preceded by The Crawling Hand, The Projected Man and Werewolf. Shares many odd similarities with Werewolf, in fact - guy named Paul, Southwestern US, Native American folklore, ditzy girlfriend...
—Wikipedia on Track of the Moon Beast
Tropes present in this episode:
- Acting Unnatural: When Mike discovers the 'bots peeping on him, Crow to advise acting natural. It takes 2 seconds for both 'bots to crack.Servo: TAKE OFF YOUR ROBE!!!
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: After Longbow's slideshow presentation of the lizard myth:Longbow: I know what you're thinking...Servo: I'm boring and my slideshow eats.
- Big, Stupid Doodoo-Head: Bobo's end of the Volleying Insults with Observer in the final segment.Observer: You ignoramus!
Bobo: You stupid-head!
Bobo: You dodo-head!
Observer: Credit risk!
Bobo: Dummy... head!
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Mike adds "... hair" to Johnny's recipe.
- Servo precedes the list with "Velveeta, rattlesnake...." (Although rattlesnake meat is actually quite good).
- Cliché Storm: Played with in-universe. Mike's take on "The Band That Played California Lady." Every troubled rock band issue you can think of shows up.
- Crying Indian: From the archery scene...Crow: (snickering) I swiped these from that Indian when he was crying about the garbage!
- Deep-Fried Whatever: Crow and Servo order an onion blossomer, and proceed to blossom and deep-fry everything in sight, including a bowling ball, a caulking gun, and Mike's wallet. Crow and Mike then deep-fry Servo's head. Servo is alarmed at first (Mike: "Oh come on, you didn't even miss it!"), but then finds that he tastes delicious.
- Brick Joke: Pearl addresses the S.O.L. crew as: "Mike, Crow, snack."
- Does This Remind You of Anything?, Double Entendre: Quite a few are made about Johnny Longbone.
Kathy: Oh, no, don't touch it. Let me do that.Crow: Words every guy wants to hear.
- "She gets off the ground saying 'What happened?' a lot."
- After Paul gets a cut on his head from the meteorite:
- Don't Explain the Joke: Following the lengthy explanation of the prank:Kathy: Am I forgiven?
Crow: Only if you stop explaining it!
- Epic Fail: The prank in the movie was pretty pathetic, but in the host segment parodying it, Mike doesn't even really react at all. Crow, however, completely falls apart over what he perceives as a needlessly cruel prank (while Mike continues to sit there quietly).Crow: ...I hate myself.
- Native American Casino: The final riff of the film.Servo: (as Johnny Longbow) I see... a huge casino!Mike: Oh, come on...
- The gang loves calling him "Longbone", with plenty of Double Entendre jokes.
- They also hear Budd Keeler as "Butt Healer".
- Roadrunner Vs Coyote: One of the crew's gags when Johnny's telling a legend after dinner.
- Running Gag: Johnny's stew and "California Lady" both get mocked savagely throughout the movie.
- Sanity Slippage: After the prank (like in the movie) goes wrong.
- Sex Equals LoveCrow: And they proceed to do it because they love each other!
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Mike gives us a complete summation of the meteoric rise and meteoric-er fall of The Band That Played California Lady in a sketch parodying VH-1's Legends (complete with Kris Kristofferson impression).