Film watched: Track of the Moon Beast
"The scene in which Johnny names ingredients in his stew quickly became a running gag and one of the writers' favorite moments from the series. Writer Kevin Murphy stated that his world-weary sigh of "onions..." made Johnny Longbow one of the "best" characters they've ever encountered."
Mike, Servo and Crow prove that the whole silly affair makes for great Snark Bait
. Note that, rather improbably, this is actually the fourth
movie the show featured about a guy named Paul turning into a monster, preceded by The Crawling Hand
, The Projected Man
. Shares many odd similarities with Werewolf
, in fact - guy named Paul, Southwestern US, Native American folklore, ditzy girlfriend...
- Acting Unnatural: When Mike discovers the 'bots peeping on him, Crow to advise acting natural. It takes 2 seconds for both 'bots to crack.
Servo: TAKE OFF YOUR ROBE!!!
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: After Longbow's slideshow presentation of the lizard myth:
Longbow: I know what you're thinking...
Servo: I'm boring and my slideshow eats.
- Big Stupid Doodoo Head: The only insult Bobo can manage while Observer calls him a "troglodyte" and "credit risk".
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Mike adds "... hair" to Johnny's recipe.
- Servo precedes the list with "Velveeta, rattlesnake...."
- Cliché Storm: Played with in-universe. Mike's take on "The Band That Played California Lady." Every troubled rock band issue you can think of shows up.
- Deep-Fried Whatever: Crow and Servo order an onion blossomer, and proceed to blossom and deep-fry everything in sight, including a bowling ball, a caulking gun, and Mike's wallet. Crow and Mike then deep-fry Servo's head. Servo complains at first, but then finds that he tastes delicious.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?, Double Entendre: Quite a few are made about Johnny Longbone.
- "She gets off the ground saying 'What happened?' a lot."
- Don't Explain the Joke: Following the lengthy explanation of the prank:
Kathy: Am I forgiven?
Crow: Only if you stop explaining it!
- Epic Fail: The prank in the movie was pretty pathetic, but here, Mike doesn't even really react. Crow, however, completely falls apart over what he perceives as a needlessly cruel prank (while Mike continues to sit there quietly).
Crow: I hate myself.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Mike spots Waldo in the crowd watching The Band That Played California Lady play "California Lady."
- Hoist by His Own Petard: "How do you light your own back on fire?"
- Mondegreen: The gang loves calling him "Longbone", with plenty of Double Entendre jokes.
- Running Gag: Johnny's stew and "California Lady" both get mocked savagely throughout the movie.
- Sanity Slippage: After the prank (like in the movie) goes wrong.
- Sex Equals Love
Crow: And they proceed to do it because they love each other!
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Mike gives us a complete summation of the meteoric rise and meteoric-er fall of The Band That Played California Lady in a sketch parodying VH-1's Legends (complete with Kris Kristofferson impression).
- Wunza Plot: "He's a cop. He's a rabbi. They're cops. Except for the rabbi."
"Moon rock? Oh wow."