Film watched: Track of the Moon Beast
"The scene in which Johnny names ingredients in his stew quickly became a running gag and one of the writers' favorite moments from the series. Writer Kevin Murphy stated that his world-weary sigh of "onions..." made Johnny Longbow one of the "best" characters they've ever encountered."
Can Paul be cured? Can Longbow save the day? Do we really care? No, yes, and no, respectively, but Mike, Servo and Crow
prove that the whole silly affair makes for great Snark Bait
. And don't miss a special performance from The Band That Played California Lady -featuring the talents of The Fish-Lipped Guy, The Eskimo and The Friendly-Looking Backup Singer- playing their #-1 hit "California Lady." Or do; whatever's cool.
Note that, rather improbably, this is actually the fourth
movie the show featured about a guy named Paul turning into a monster, preceded by The Crawling Hand
, The Projected Man
. Shares many odd similarities with Werewolf
, in fact - guy named Paul, Southwestern US, Native American folklore, ditzy girlfriend...
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: After Longbow's slideshow presentation of the lizard myth:
Longbow: I know what you're thinking...
Servo: I'm boring and my slideshow eats.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Mike adds "... hair" to Johnny's recipe.
- Servo precedes the list with "Velveeta, rattlesnake...."
- Cliché Storm: Mike's take on "The Band That Played California Lady." Every troubled rock band issue you can think of shows up.
- Deep-Fried Whatever: Crow and Servo order an onion blossomer, and proceed to blossom and deep-fry everything in sight, including a bowling ball, a caulking gun, and Mike's wallet. Crow and Mike then deep-fry Servo's head. Servo complains at first, but then finds that he tastes delicious.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?, Double Entendre: All of the allusions about Johnny Longbow.
- "She gets off the ground saying 'What happened?' a lot."
- Don't Explain the Joke: Following the lengthy explanation of the prank:
Kathy: Am I forgiven?
Crow: Only if you stop explaining it!
- Epic Fail: The prank in the movie was pretty pathetic, but here, Mike doesn't even really react. Crow, however, completely falls apart over what he perceives as a needlessly cruel prank (while Mike continues to sit there quietly).
Crow: I hate myself.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Mike spots Waldo in the crowd watching The Band That Played California Lady play "California Lady."
- Hoist by His Own Petard: "How do you light your own back on fire?"
- Mondegreen: The gang loves calling him "Longbone", with plenty of Double Entendre jokes.
- Running Gag: Johnny's Stew and "California Lady" both get mocked savagely throughout the movie.
- Sanity Slippage: After the prank (like in the movie) goes wrong.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: Mike gives us a complete summation of the meteoric rise and meteoric-er fall of The Band That Played California Lady in a sketch parodying VH-1's Behind the Music.
- Wunza Plot: "He's a cop. He's a rabbi. They're cops. Except for the rabbi."
"Moon rock? Oh wow."