"Your movie this week stars nobody and features nothing. I hope you gag on it."Track of the Moon Beast
is yet another transformation movie where radiation from a meteorite strike causes a professor to be turned into a murderous monster. This time the bland, uninteresting white scientist is some guy named Paul; beyond that, no one knows anything about him, including the screenwriter. There's also a bland, uninteresting Love Interest
dressed in terrycloth named Kathy. Their bland, uninteresting romance is hampered by Paul's refusal to just stop transmogrifying into a killer lizard, meaning the intrepid, stew-making shaman Johnny Longbow has to step in and move the plot along.
For the Mystery Science Theater 3000
version, please go to the episode recap page
Tropes present in this film:
- Artistic License - Biology: The picture of the T. Rex in the biologists office wouldn't convince a 4 year old.
- Artistic License - Nuclear Physics: Everything surrounding the "explanation" of the radiation from the meteor, mixed in with some Artistic License - Astronomy.
- Basement-Dweller: Paul lives with his mother at age 24, and Kathy feels he's a very lonely man, his clear friendship with Johnny Longbow notwithstanding.
- Better To Die Than To Be A Bipedal Lizardman
- Dawson Casting: Kathy's actress is probably about ten years older then her character, although the film is so washed out and faded it's hard to tell.
- Don't Explain the Joke: After Longbow and his students play a prank on Paul at the movie's start, Kathy goes on to explain the prank and how they came up with it in excruciating detail. She even starts describing his reaction to the prank.
- Dull Surprise: "Moon rock? Oh, wow." See also: every other line Kathy says.
- Also, the "prank." Drawn out into the open and brought down by multiple packs of hound/dingo crossbreeds with baseball bats by the long, convoluted and completely unnecessary apology because of his "reaction."
- Dumb Blonde: Kathy, in spades. This was probably not what they were going for at all.
- Failed a Spot Check: A pair of cops obligingly just keep staring in the exact opposite direction from where Paul is sneaking up on them.
- Fan Disservice: The movie for features a good look at the drunken bowler's asscheeks.
- Fanservice: Say what you want about Paul, but he's got a great body. He spends 1/3 of his screentime topless.
- Fashion Dissonance: Everything Kathy wears.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Paul would presumably have become one if not stopped in time.
- He Also Did: Writer William Finger? Co-creator of Batman. If you're wondering what he was doing writing lame movies, Bob Kane conned him out of the royalties for the character.
- I Love Nuclear Power: And radioactive meteorites.
- Imagine Spot: Paul has a fantasy of getting into the mountain lift and jumping out of it while it's in the air.
- Large Ham: Johnny is maybe slightly softer-spoken than your average ham, but he still has his occasional moments of Chewing the Scenery.
- PAUL ISN'T PAUL ANYMORE!!!
- Leitmotif: The stereotypical theme for Johnny Longbow.
- Lizard Folk: Johnny becomes one.
- Magical Native American: Johnny Longbow.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The prank and Johnny Longbow's stew, made with corn, chicken, green peppers, chilis, *sigh* onions... Hair... rattlesnake... Velveeta...
- Actually, try Johnny's recipe. It's delicious. The hair is best left out, but can be added to your tastes.
- Notable Original Music: "California Lady"
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: Were-lizardman!
- The Seventies: Make it stop.
- Sex Equals Love
- Shoot the Dog
"Moon rock? Oh, wow."