Recap / Family Guy S 5 E 1 Stewie Loves Lois
Stewie becomes attached to Lois after she saves and repairs his beloved teddy bear, Rupert. Meanwhile, Peter and his friends sue Dr. Hartman for allegedly molesting them (when really he was giving them a prostate exam).
Tropes related to the episode:
- Attempted Rape: This is what Peter thinks Dr. Hartman did to him.
- Brick Joke: Mr. Sulu appears in a cutaway gag as "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Sulu," giving a passer-by a flirtatious "E-helloooooo!" Later, in a Star Trek spoof, he passes by and check out Peter's butt while giving him the same flirtatious "E-helloooooo!" She shows up one more time as the blockage in Peter's prostate.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Peter sues Doctor Hartman for giving him a prostate exam. A dog also steals Stewie's teddy bear, Rupert, just for telling him to get lost.
- Double Standard: Rape, Male on Male: Lois's first reaction to Peter claiming to have been raped? Laugh hysterically in disbelief. To be fair, the says it in way that's pretty hard to take seriously at first.
- Fake Memories: You'd think a judge would be able to convince Peter that a prostate exam does not equal a sexual assault (if done right and by a professional), and even notes that it was uneventful. Not after Peter merely suggests that he "try to remember" what "actually" happened, which is all that it takes to trigger thoughts of him being molested by Dr. Hartman. The judge immediately revokes Hartman's medical license.
- Fan Disservice: Peter whining and walking home with his pants around his ankles after he was allegedly raped. Lampshaded by Adam West, who takes one look at Peter and says, "Ugh, get a tan!"
- Fat Idiot: Peter
- Foreign-Language Tirade: In one scene, Stewie accuses Brian of lusting after Lois and the two start shouting over each other. At one point in the shouting match, Stewie starts speaking Spanish. Brian is confused, so Stewie explains that he fell asleep watching Sabado Gigante last night.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Stewie grew to love Lois for saving Rupert, but goes back to hating her again after she apologizes for ignoring him like Brian suggested she do when she grew sick of Stewie's newfound admiration for her.
- Humiliation Conga/Deus Angst Machina: A rather cruel one at that: Peter thinks that he's been sexually assaulted, his wife laughs in his face when he tells her and he slowly goes more and more crazy, eventually culminating in a full mental breakdown whenever he sees pointing gestures (TV, Chris, and Evil Monkey [which he mistakes for Meg]). Then his friends make it worse by telling him that they went through the same "horrors" and convince him to take action against Dr Hartman, only to turn to him because his prostate is heavily infected.
- Idiot Ball:
- Yes Judge, listen to the guy who is (technically speaking) mentally retarded, ran across the streets naked wailing, and would abuse his family over minor things such as to avoid being yelled at.
- Peter, Quagmire, and Cleveland thinking Dr. Hartman "violated" them is enough, but Joe should know that a prostate exam is a legitimate medical exam. And then the Judge (see above).
- Laser-Guided Karma: Ironically, something Peter did for a (mostly) selfless reason, he pays for it anyway (see Yank the Dog's Chain below).
- Mama Bear: Lois goes out of her way to fight a dog for Rupert, then stitches him back to normal.
- Not What It Looks Like: It takes Peter the entire episode to realize that a doctor sticking his finger up a patient's anal canal during what the doctor says is a prostrate exam...is a legitimate part of a prostrate exam.
- Overly Long Gag: Stewie repeatedly saying "Mom" (and variants thereof) to Lois. Anyone who's been around a child over the age of three will know that this is 100% Truth in Television.
- Precision F-Strike: After Peter tells Lois he was "raped" and runs out of the room crying, Lois flatly says, "Fucking idiot."
- Sanity Slippage: Peter, who cuts off pieces of his hair while looking at himself in a mirror while calling himself a "whore".
- Finger-related references, in the scene when Peter is watching TV, including E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Freddy Got Fingered and the Yellow Pages.
- All in the Family: The closing credits use the iconic 1970s TV series' closing, plus nearly identical typeface for the credits, scenes of Quahog patterned much after Queens (where the Bunkers lived) and Peter saying, ""Family Guy was videotaped in front of a live studio audience," referencing the use of a laugh track in the final scene. There's even a jump cut copied directly from said credits.
- Peter tries to get a prostate exam from McCoy. True to his character, he tells Peter that he's "a doctor, not a patsy." Enter Spock, who had been in a cutaway gag a few minute earlier, walking by to check out Peter's bare butt and give a flirtatious "E-heloooooo!"
- Too Dumb to Live: Peter
- Ungrateful Bastard: Lois comes over to her baby and lovingly kisses him over and over again after he injures his arm, and then Stewie retaliates by berating her and threaten to testify against her.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Peter and his friends celebrate getting Hartman sued...and then Peter all of a sudden has early signs of prostate cancer, which is bad news because no other doctor is willing to examine Peter because they're afraid that he'll sue them like he did Dr. Hartman.
- Your Television Hates You: Shortly after returning home, a shaken Peter tries to get his mind (or is that his imagination) off his visit to Dr. Hartman's office by watching television ... only to scan through channels showing the movies E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and Freddie Got Fingered, and a commercial for Yellow Pages ("Let your fingers do the walking"), all of them having to do with — naturally — fingers. Peter snaps and rushes upstairs to his room.