Recap: Family Guy S 5 E 1 Stewie Loves Lois
Stewie becomes attached to Lois after she saves and repairs his teddy bear, Rupert. Meanwhile, Peter and his friends sue Dr. Hartman for allegedly molesting them (when really he was giving them a prostate exam).
Tropes related to the episode:
- Attempted Rape: This is what Peter thinks Dr. Hartman did to him.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Peter sues Doctor Hartman for giving him a prostate exam. A dog also steals Stewie's teddy bear, Rupert, just for telling him to get lost.
- Face-Heel Turn: Stewie grew to love Lois for saving Rupert.
- Fake Memories: You'd think a judge would be able to convince Peter that a prostate exam does not equal a sexual assault (if done right and by a professional), and even notes that it was uneventful. Not after Peter merely suggests that he "try to remember" what "actually" happened, which is all that it takes to trigger thoughts of him being molested by Dr. Hartman. The judge immediately revokes Hartman's medical license.
- Fan Disservice: Peter whining and walking home with his pants around his ankles after he was allegedly raped. Lampshaded by Adam West, who takes one look at Peter and says, "Ugh, get a tan!"
- Fat Idiot: Peter
- Humiliation Conga/Deus Angst Machina: A rather cruel one at that, considering that Peter was at the brink of mental breakdown and was recently traumatized.
- To put this into perspective: Peter was stripped naked, supposedly have been sexually assaulted, he returns home only to find his wife largely unsupportive of the situation he's in (as she tried to explain to him that it wasn't sexual assault; it was a prostate exam), went through seeing pointing gestures everywhere he goes (TV, Chris, and Evil Monkey [which he mistakes for Meg]), making him worse, his friends also went through the exam, traumatizing them as well, and he finally got revenge towards Dr Hartman only to turn to him because his prostate is heavily infected. Peter must've felt ashamed and humiliated, which why he becomes a bigger asshole later on...
- Idiot Ball:
- Yes Judge, listen to the guy who is mentally retarded, ran across the streets naked wailing, and would abuse his family over minor things such as to avoid being yelled at.
- Peter, Quagmire, and Cleveland thinking Dr. Hartman "violated" them is enough, but Joe should know that a prostate exam is a legitimate medical exam. And then the Judge (see above).
- Laser-Guided Karma: Ironically, something Peter did for a (mostly) selfless reason, he pays for it anyway (see Yank the Dog's Chain below).
- Not What It Looks Like: It takes Peter the entire episode to realize that a doctor sticking his finger up a patient's anal canal during what the doctor says is a prostrate exam ... is a legitimate part of a prostrate exam.
- Sanity Slippage: Peter, who cuts off pieces of his hair while looking at himself in a mirror while calling himself a "whore".
- Finger-related references, in the scene when Peter is watching TV, including E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Freddy Got Fingered and the Yellow Pages.
- All in the Family: The closing credits use the iconic 1970s TV series' closing, plus nearly identical typeface for the credits, scenes of Quahog patterned much after Queens (where the Bunkers lived) and Peter saying, ""Family Guy was videotaped in front of a live studio audience," referencing the use of a laugh track in the final scene.
- Sound Effect Bleep: Subverted, Lois actually gets away with calling Peter a "fucking idiot" without a sound effect.
- Double subverted, as she was bleeped out with a regular bleep sound on the TV version, but not the DVD.
- Too Dumb to Live: Peter
- Ungrateful Bastard: Lois comes over to her baby and lovingly kisses him over and over again after he injures his arm, and then Stewie retaliates by berating her and threaten to testify against her.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: Peter and his friends celebrate getting Hartman sued... and then Peter all of a sudden has early signs of prostate cancer, which is bad news because no Doctor would examine Peter 'cause they're afraid he'll sue them as well.
- Your Television Hates You: Shortly after returning home, a shaken Peter tries to get his mind (or is that his imagination) off his visit to Dr. Hartman's office by watching television ... only to scan through channels showing the movies E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and Freddie Got Fingered, and a commercial for Yellow Pages ("Let your fingers do the walking"), all of them having to do with — naturally — fingers. Peter snaps and rushes upstairs to his room.