Vicki: Doctor? Will he really see Jerusalem?
The Doctor: Only from afar. He won't be able to capture it. Even now, his armies are marching on a campaign that he can never win.
Vicki: That's terrible. Can't we tell him?
The Doctor: I'm afraid not, my dear. No. History must take its course.
And we're back to history once again, as the TARDIS arrives in 12th century Palestine. Barbara is once again kidnapped, this time by Saracens, and the king grants Ian the right to ride off and find her - knighting him "Sir Ian of Jaffa" for the purpose.
Meanwhile the Doctor and Vicki stay behind and try unsuccesfully not to get caught up in courtly intrigues, eventually making an enemy of the Earl of Leicester and having to flee the court.
Meanwhile, Ian rescues Barbara and they all meet up back at the TARDIS and narrowly escape the Earl of Leicester's men, hot on the Doctor's heels.Watch episodes one and three here.
- Blackface: Most of the Saracens.
- Distressed Damsel: Played with, since Barbara is anything but passive in captivity.
- The Dog Bites Back: Haroun kills El Akir.
- Fair for Its Day: There really was a concerted effort to faithfully portray Saladin and his culture without racism, the story wasn't shown in any Middle Eastern countries. However, it was the practice of using actors in blackface that was found offensive, not the subject matter or the potrayal of characters.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: El Akir has a scar on the left side of his face.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: This serial marks the first appearance on Who of Julian Glover, as Richard the Lionhearted. Jean Marsh makes the first of her three Doctor Who appearances as well, playing Richard's sister Joanna.
- Historical-Domain Character: Richard The Lion Heart, Leicester, Saladin, ...
- Knight Fever: Sir Ian.
- Mercy Kill: Haroun instructs Barbara to do this to Safiya if worst comes to worst. Barbara has no intention of doing so.
- The Middle Ages
- Missing Episode: Episodes two and four.
- Smug Snake: El Akir.
- Worthy Opponents: Richard and Saladin.