Recap: Cowboy Bebop Session 11 Toys In The Attic
With no bounties to go after, the crew are left to their devices. However when Jet is attacked by an unknown entity and falls sick from the bite it gives him. The crew find themselves hunting it before it claims them too.
- Affectionate Parody/Whole Plot Reference: Of Alien.
- Alternate Aesop Interpretation: Each of the crew give one during the episode: Jet's is about having to relearn lessons through our lifetimes. Faye's is essentially "survival of the fittest". Ed is a nonsensical bit about following strangers. and Spike's? See Spoof Aesop
- Blob Monster
- Bottle Episode: The entire episode is set on board the Bebop, with the show's five main characters (and the "blob") being the only characters to appear in it.
- Cassandra Truth: While trying to find out with the bacteria is. Spike comes up with a theory that it may be a rat who mutated and is secreting the toxin. Faye chides him over it, though after she get bitten, she admits before she passes out that it could be possible.
- Drama Queen: Faye after she gets bitten.
- Downer Ending: The creature is defeated, but it has infected everyone on the Bebop, except Ed, and they are presumingly dying from the infection while the Bebop is apparently floating out of control without any gravity. Somehow, however, everyone makes it out alive and are fine by the next episode, but it is ever explained how.
- Jet mentions at the start of the episode that they're out of everything, including food, and have to spend the next two days on approach to civilization. The implication is that they were picked up eventually and saved.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Ein detects and barks at the blob but is ignored.
- It Came from the Fridge: The blob is revealed to be a side effect of a lobster that Spike had unwittingly let go bad when he forgot it about it. It's essentially a sentient version of food poisoning.
- Lock and Load Montage: Spike when he prepares to take on the blob monster.
- Nothing IS Scarier: The whole episode.
- Kill It with Fire: How Spike manages to subdue the blob monster at first
- Sinking Ship Scenario
- Shout-Out: To Alien obviously
- Spoof Aesop: "Don't leave your food in the fridge"
- Technicolor Toxin: The blob "bites" leave a discolored mark on the victim's skin.