Recap / Cowboy Bebop Session 12 "Jupiter Jazz (Part 1)"
Faye suddenly leaves the Bebop without warning, taking the ship's money and disabling the controls. While trying to look for her on the net, they come across a private chat which uses Julia's name. Spike, knowing Vicious is the only person to use her name as a password, set out on his own to find him to Jet's anger who promptly throws him off the ship. Meanwhile on the nearby planet Jupiter and the men only city of Callisto, Faye finds herself meeting and becoming enthralled with a saxophone player named Gren.
- Berserk Button: Spike being mistaken for Vicious.
- Bowdlerization: The scene of Faye confronting Gren in the shower had all instances of his butt and breasts removed with tasteful cropping and reframing. This is very noteworthy because, at the time, the only way to remove nudity in an anime on Cartoon Network was either to cut the scene if the scene was just meaningless fanservice or put a Digital Bikini on the naked character if the scene had some plot relevance. This episode took a third option, and was all the better for it, as it still implied that there was something weird about Gren's nudity, because they kept in Faye muttering, "A woman?" then looking down, seeing that Gren had male genitals, and whimpering, "Which one are you?".
- Breaking the Fellowship: Faye leaves on her own, then Jet refuses to let Spike return when he goes off to find Vicious.
- Curb-Stomp Battle / One-Man Army: Spike vs the muggers
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Gren when Faye looks over the pictures of his travels and notices the "woman" in the picture and then there's her discovery when she confronts him in the shower.
- Gonk: The crossdressers Spike runs into.
- Our Hero Is Dead: Spike is seemingly "killed" at the end of the episode.