Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 7 E 21 End Of Days
Thank God we're hot chicks with superpowers.
With Faith injured, Buffy returns with a new weapon.
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer
- Achilles in His Tent: Buffy getting deposed by her own pupils, who install Faith as their new leader. One bomb explosion later, and everyone goes crawling back to blondie.
- Well, she did have a Big Damn Hero moment and dust three uber-vamps within 15 seconds.
- The Ageless: The Guardian, one of those who helped to forge the Scythe used to kill the last pure demon on Earth.
Buffy: Are you a ghost?
Guardian: I'm as real as you are. Just...well... let me put it this way: I look good for my age.
- All There in the Manual: The Scythe isn't quite as much a blatant Deus ex Machina if you read the Fray comic first.
- Ancient Conspiracy
Guardian: We forged [the Scythe] in secrecy and kept it hidden from the Shadow Men, who—
Buffy: Yeah. Met those guys. Didn't really care too much for 'em.
Guardian: Ahh, yes. Then you know. And they became the Watchers. And the Watchers watched the Slayers. But we were watching them.
Buffy: Oh! So you're like... what are you?
Guardian: Guardians. Women who want to help and protect you.
- Assimilation Plot
Buffy!First: When this is over — when our armies spring forth and our will sweeps the world — I'll be able to enter every man, woman and child on the face of this Earth.
- Beautiful Dreamer: Spike says that just holding Buffy and watching her sleep was the best night of his life. D'awww...
- Beware the Nice Ones: Dawnie tasering Xander.
- Big Damn Heroes: A scythe-wielding Buffy arrives to save the Potentials from the ubervamps.
- Big Damn Kiss: Angel turns up and Buffy's first response is to snog him...much to a watching Spike's chagrin.
- Bilingual Bonus: When Willow researches the scythe, one name comes up: "M question-mark." Giles points out that the "question mark" (ʔ) is actually a glottal stop in the International Phonetic Alphabet. What does "mʔ" sound like? The closest English example would be "gulp."
- Black Eyes of Evil / Evil Sounds Deep: Caleb after the First shares his essence with him.
- Blessed with Suck: Inverted — after a discussion on the burdens of Slayerdom, Buffy and Faith conclude that being hot chicks with superpowers does take the edge off.
- Brutal Honesty: Anya is not exactly Nurse Bedside Manner, especially when she's half pissed.
(Andrew is ripping up bedsheets. Anya is using them to bandage a Potential.)
Andrew: I liked the real bandages better. These bed sheets are awfully festive. Ecch!
Anya: Yeah. They're gonna look like mortally wounded Easter baskets.
Wounded Potential: (groggily) What?
Anya: Aw. (shrugs, swigs from a bottle of Scotch)
Andrew: Hmm. Good point. (takes a swig from the bottle)
Anya: Giles knows his single malt antiseptics.
Andrew: Blech. (shakes his head) Everything's horrible.
Anya: Yup. Many of these girls will die. Slaughterhouse is what it is.
Wounded Potential: (alarmed) What?
Anya: (tenderly) Oh...trying to talk will just kill you sooner.
(Andrew suggests raiding the hospital for supplies.)
Anya: OK. I'll get Kennedy to watch the girls. She's tough. Imminent death won't bother her.
(sits up) What?!
- Buffy Speak: Spoofed when Buffy complains about Spike's use of the Brit slang word "shirty", claiming that "It's not even a word!"
- The Chains of Commanding: Faith talks to Buffy about how she was always jealous of her friends and authority; it was only when Faith took on the role of leader that she realised it's Lonely at the Top. As seen in the previous episode, Buffy realises that Faith's self-imposed isolation is not pleasant either.
- Can Not Spit It Out: When Spike asks what it means that the two of them could spend the best night of their lives together without having sex, Buffy backs off from the implications. "Does it have to mean anything?"
- Continuity Nod: Xander brought Buffy back to life (with CPR) in "Prophecy Girl", and (along with the other Scoobies) with the resurrection spell in "Bargaining, Part I".
- Conveniently Timed Attack From Behind / The Cavalry: Angel gives Caleb a "Hey, You!" Haymaker just as he's about to kill Buffy with her own Scythe.
Buffy: You look timely.
- Defictionalization: You, too can own Buffy's scythe!
- Delicious Distraction: Giles snaffles the jaffa cakes.
- Geeky Turn-On: While looting the hospital, Anya says that the oxygen tanks would only be useful for reenacting the climatic scene of Jaws. Andrew stares at her and says, "You are the perfect woman." Anya of course replies that she's often thought so.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: As the First is channeling Buffy, 'she' naturally makes a point of lampshading the sexual implications of "merging" with Caleb, much to his annoyance. "This is a sacred experience for me."
- Faith saying that her relationships never lasted long, then coyly adding that Robin Wood is an exception. "Boy's got stamina."
- Spike says he's done things with Buffy that he can't spell.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Spike's Death Glare at the Bangel kiss, with First!Buffy whispering in his ear about what a bitch she is.
- Instant Sedation
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Anya and Andrew help themselves to Giles' single malt antiseptic.
- It Meant Something to Me: Spike tries to dismiss their night together as no big deal, assuming Buffy will want to back off from their relationship as per usual.
Buffy: Do you see this? (holds up the Scythe) This may actually help me fight my war. This might be the key to everything. And the reason I'm holding it is because of you. Because of the strength that you gave me last night. Look, I am tired of defensiveness and weird, mixed signals. You know, I have Faith for that. Let's just get to the truth here, OK? I don't know how you felt about last night, but I will not—
Buffy: Of what?
Spike: (lets out a slow sigh) Last night was... (looks up) God, I'm such a jerk. I can't do this.
Spike: It was the best night of my life. (angrily) If you poke fun at me, you bloody well better use that, 'cause I couldn't bear it. It may not mean that much to you, but—
Buffy: (quietly) I just told you it did.
- It's What I Do
I never said you were gonna die! I implied that you were gonna die
. It's totally different. Buffy:
Yeah, OK. Sure... Xander:
Besides, if you die, I'll just bring you back to life. That's what I do.
- Just Friends: Buffy re Wood. "Or mortal enemies, depending on what day of the week it is."
- Lame Pun Reaction
Buffy: I think it's some kind of scythe. It's clearly important.
Willow: So it's true. Scythe matters.
Giles: I'm ignoring that.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Amanda thinks the bomb was fate punishing them for tossing Buffy out.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Buffy swings the scythe at Caleb, slicing his stomach. He stumbles back, gives an Evil Laugh, wags his finger at her...then collapses to the floor with his eyes open and staring.
Xander: Well, you know, it's like, uh... when a cow gets old and loses an eye, or its ability to be milked, the farmer takes it and puts it in a different pasture so it won't have to... fight...with the priest.
- Mood Whiplash: Several of these.
- Obligatory Joke: Lampshaded when Xander complains about all the eye jokes he'll have to put up with now.
- Oh Crap: Caleb is sneering that Buffy won't be able to pry the Scythe from solid rock before he comes over and— Buffy casually yanks the scythe out of the rock.
Caleb: (smiles nervously) You don't even know what you got there.
Buffy: I know you're backing away.
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: The Guardians, apparently the feminine counterpart to the Watchers Council.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: Buffy "King Arthured" the scythe from the stone.
- Open Says Me: Buffy kicks the door to the crypt right down the stairs.
- Pair the Spares: Faith and Wood, continuing the tradition of Buffy losing people (Angel, the Potentials, Giles) to her.
- Patrick Stewart Speech: Anya explaining why she's going to stick around this time; for the sake of all humans; not just Xander as in "The Gift".
- Plunder: The Scoobies help themselves to junk food and medical supplies.
- Screw the War, We're Partying: Andrew and Anya have a wheelchair fight in the Abandoned Hospital.
- Scythe In The Stone
- She's Back
Caridad: So are you... are you, like, back?
Buffy: I don't know. I guess I'm not leaving.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: Averted; Andrew and Anya decide to stay and fight. Buffy's attempt to pack off Xander and Dawn doesn't work.
- Sorry Xander, But You Only Have One Eye: Buffy asks Xander take Dawn away from Sunnydale, despite his desire to be with Buffy at the very end.
Buffy: I trust you with my life. That's why I need you to do this for me.
Xander: (choked up) OK...
Buffy: (casually) Also, you can't shoot a bow and arrow anymore, and every time you pick up a sword, I worry that you're gonna break one of our good lamps.
Buffy: Don't look at me. You're the one who said I'm gonna die.
- Stealth Insult: Giles says he's never heard of the Slayer Scythe. Buffy replies that the good guys "aren't traditionally known for their communication skills."
- Swiss-Army Weapon: The Scythe is not actually a scythe, but a combination of axe, spear, and mace.
Buffy: Kills strong bodies three ways.
- Tantrum Throwing: Caleb smashes a cask of wine, angry over how the First refused to let him fight a scythe-wielding Buffy.
First!Buffy: Not that I care personally, but you are wasting a lot of robust, full-bodied merlot.
- Tempting Fate: Kennedy saying there's only one ubervamp, just before another one attacks them from behind.
- The Guardian says the end is truly near and immediately after gets Neck Snapped by Caleb.
- There Can Be Only One
Faith: There's only supposed to be one. Maybe that's why you and I can never get along. We're not supposed to exist together.
Buffy: Also, you went evil and were killing people.
Faith: Good point. Also a factor.
- This Is Something She's Got to Do Herself: Buffy going to find out about the origins of the Scythe.
- Verbal Backspace: Xander says he expected to be with Buffy, "at the end", then hastens to say that he wasn't implying they'll all be killed, of course.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: When Buffy first picks up the Scythe, it throws a cross-like reflection on her throat where she'd normally wear her cross-necklace.
- What Happened To The Cat?: It's implied that Willow and Tara's cat (last seen in Season 5) met its demise in a tragic crossbow accident.
- Wheel Chair Antics
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?
Guardian: I'm sorry. What's your name?
Guardian: No, really. (Buffy shrugs)
- Who Watches the Watcher's Council?: Turns out the Guardians do.