We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Recap: Buffy The Vampire Slayer S 6 E 1 Bargaining Part 1
Xander: This is deep stuff, Willow. We're talking about raising the dead.
Willow: It's time we stop talking. Tomorrow night, we're bringing Buffy back.
The Scoobies have been holding the fort with the help of the Buffy-bot but decide they need the real Buffy. Demon bikers crash into town. This was the first episode on the new network of the series
- Accidentally Broke the MacGuffin: Demons interrupt the spell, and the one-of-a-kind urn gets dropped and broken, but it turns out the resurrection was completed moments before that.
- Actually a Doombot
- And Starring: For most of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's run, Anthony Stewart Head was last in the titles, with an "and...as Giles", because he was by far the most accomplished and famous actor in the series at that point. When he dropped from regular cast member to recurring guest star, the "and" went to Alyson Hannigan, whose career had recently taken off thanks to the American Pie movies.
- All Bikers Are Hellsmouth Demons: The Hellions.
- Attack Hello / Between My Legs: Our introduction to the Buffybot.
- Armor-Piercing Question: The Buffybot to Giles. "Then why are you still here?"
- Bait and Switch: The Buffybot is introduced in the middle of the teaser fight, as if the real Buffy is somehow alive.
- Bambification: Averted when Willow kills a fawn for its blood.
- Black Magic
- Bond One-Liner: The Buffybot never quite gets it right.
Buffybot: That'll put marzipan on your pie plate, bingo!
I was trying to program in some new puns and I kind of ended up with Word Salad
- Brought Down to Normal: Dawn is no longer the Key, so she only has to worry about being eaten by some random Monster of the Week.
- Buried Alive: Joss Whedon has Sarah Michelle Gellar go through her greatest fear. Again.
- Call Back
- When persuading the Scoobies, Willow assures them that it's not like Dawn trying to raise Joyce from the dead in "Forever", and plays on their fear that Buffy might be trapped in a hell dimension like Angel was at the beginning of Season 3.
- Also evokes Buffy being buried alive in "Nightmares".
- The Between My Legs Bait and Switch was used previously in "Anne", Season 3's opening episode.
- Came Back Wrong: Averted when, among other things, Buffy's dessicated corpse is revived with no visible difference. Her mind/spirit, not so much.
- Cerebus Syndrome
Xander: We better get home. It's gonna get dark soon.
- Channel Hop: First episode of the UPN era.
- Comically Missing the Point: Anya does lots in this episode.
"I tried being patient but it took too long."
- The Confidant: Giles ends up discussing his feelings of guilt with the Buffybot.
Giles: I just can't help but wonder if ... she would have been better off without me. Buffy.
Buffybot: I don't think that's true. You were very helpful to her.
Giles: Right. Yes, I was a perfect Watcher. I did what any good Watcher would do. Got my Slayer killed in the line of duty.
- Convenience Store Gift Shopping: The Scoobies have to buy Giles' goodbye gifts at a gas station while they're racing to intercept him at the airport.
- Credits Gag: Homaged with Tara's finger monster. Grrr. Arrgh.
- Darker and Edgier: Sets the template for the whole season.
- Death Is Cheap: Willow can resurrect Buffy after she's been dead for months because she died a supernatural death.
- Defcon Five: Averted.
(Taking refuge at The Magic Box)
Xander: This place is NORAD when we're at Def Con 1.
(Tara, Willow and Anya stare back at him blankly)
Xander: Okay, I so need some male friends.
- Declaration of Protection: Spike is living up to his promise to Buffy to protect her little sister.
- Description Cut / Tempting Fate
- "Nothing can go wrong tonight." Cut to the Hellions roaring past a Welcome to Sunnydale sign.
- "You don't think they'll cause a lot of damage, do you?" Cut to the Hellions chucking Molotov cocktails about with abandon.
- Dissonant Serenity / Man on Fire: Spike appears to be unconcerned that Giles is being choked by a huge vampire.
Willow: What are you doing? Help him!
Spike: (calmly lighting a cigarette) I just did.
(The back of the vamp's shirt goes up in flame, followed by the rest of him)
- Don't Split Us Up: The Buffybot charade is being kept up not only to fool demons, but also so Dawn won't be taken away from her two mommies.
- Elephant in the Living Room: The reaction of the Scoobies when the Buffybot hugs her "sister".
- Everything Is Online: Including the Urn of Osiris — Anya bought it on eBay.
- Fantastic Racism: The leader of the Hellions kills a vampire who asks to ride with them by cutting off his head.
- Five Stages of Grief: Bargaining is the third stage of grief.
- Xander has been putting off announcing his engagement to Anya all summer, implying that he has second thoughts.
- The distortions moving over Willow's body when she's being 'tested' are the same as the malevolent spirit in "After Life".
- Willow killing a fawn shows this season is going to be Darker and Edgier, not to mention foreshadowing for Dark!Willow.
- Geographic Flexibility: Sunnydale has a regional airport with flights to Los Angeles. And apparently big enough to have airplanes large enough to fly to England, after refueling in L.A. (Giles' flight has continuing service to Heathrow.)
- Grievous Bottley Harm: A vampire damages the Buffybot when he hits it in the head with a bottle.
- Half Truth: "Wine of the mother" (the fawn's blood)
- Heroic BSOD: Anya goes into a minor one when she realizes, just after getting the Magic Shop, the Hellions are damaging stores in Sunnydale.
- Hide Your Gays: Averted — Joss Whedon celebrates the new freedom of UPN by having Willow and Tara kiss casually and on the lips.
- Ironic Hell
Anya: "You know, I used to punish people like this when I was a demon. I made them double-check spreadsheets for all eternity."
- Knock Knock Joke
Willow: I got her head back on, didn't I? And I got her off those knock-knock jokes.
Buffybot: Ooh, who's there?
Xander: You know, if we want her to be exactly—
Spike: She'll never be exactly.
Xander: I know.
Tara: The only really real Buffy is really Buffy.
Giles: And she's gone.
Buffybot: "If we want her to be exactly she'll never be exactly I know the only really real Buffy is really Buffy and she's gone" who?
- Literal-Minded: The Buffybot making mega-sandwiches.
Tara: Oops, um ... she wanted to help, and I got her started, but then I forgot to un-start.
- Malaproper: The Urn of Cirrhosis...Osiris.
- Man Hug: Between Xander and Giles.
- Mood Whiplash: Dawn is trying to talk Spike out of babysitting her when he suddenly slams a pack of cards down on the table.
No. I'm not leaving you ... to get hurt. (softly) Not again.
- My Life Flashed Before My Eyes: Spike after Giles nearly gets throttled by a vampire.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: The Hellions knock the Buffybot to the ground and proceed to kick and stomp the shit out of it.
- Not So Dire: "Buffybot is about to face her most dangerous challenge ever." Cut to a banner proclaiming "Welcome to Parent Teacher Day."
- Only a Model: Buffybot admires a model "City of the Future" at a science fair, but notes that she's never seen people that small.
- Our Zombies Are Different: When Xander worries that they might be raising a brain-eating Buffy, Anya reassures him that it's a myth — zombies only eat brains if they're instructed to by the person who raised them.
- Out of Character: Willow has to collect the last item, blood from an innocent deer. Pretty dark stuff for her, until later.
- Previously On: An extended version summarizing all previous seasons for the benefit of UPN viewers who had never seen the show before.
- Promoted To Parent / Has Two Mommies: Willow and Tara now sleep in Joyce's room and act as Dawn's parents.
- Pun: A sticker in the Magic Shop says "Life's a witch and then you fly." After the Buffybot malfunctions and keeps running into the furniture, Spike decides not to let it out as there's already enough Things That Go Bump in the Night.
- Replacement Goldfish: Dawn curls up in bed next to the recharging Buffybot. Giles finds himself teaching the bot Eastern martial arts philosophy until Anya calls him on it. Averted with Spike who refuses even to look at it.
- Rise from Your Grave
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Willow vomits up a live snake during the ceremony, shocking the Scoobies who are unaware just how dark the magic she's using is.
- Robotic Reveal:
Vampire: "You're... you're a machine!"
- Inverted when Buffy shows up just when The Hellions tear the Buffybot apart.
Razor: Another one!
- Seemingly Profound Fool
Buffybot: "School is where you learn." Preach it, sister.
- Spanner in the Works: The Buffybot is programmed to return to Willow if damaged. As a result it leads the Hellions directly to the Scoobies in the midst of their raising ceremony.
- Stiff Upper Lippy: The Scoobies try to avoid tears while saying farewell to Giles.
Xander: My face was getting sore from all that faux smiling.
- Talk About That Thing: The Scoobies discussing their plan around Giles, Spike or Dawn.
Willow: Oh. I, uh, had to get that thing.
Xander: Giles isn't around, you can dump the cryptic.
- Telepathy: Willow uses this to direct the Scoobies in the teaser where they run down a vampire.
- That Came Out Wrong
Xander: House o' chicks, relax. I'm a man and I have a tool! (sees Dawn) Tools. Lots of plural tools. In my toolbox.
- There Can Be Only One: The Scoobies are trying to keep the underworld from knowing that Buffy is dead because, since Faith is around, another Slayer won't be called until Faith dies.
- Tragic Bromance: Willow has always been eager to test her abilities earlier than Giles or Tara would like, but with Buffy's death all bets are off. Her "success" will further convince her that magic really can solve all her problems, until she learns otherwise the hard way.
- Two-Part Episode
- Weirdness Censor: The Buffybot is regarded as an example for all parents.
Tara: She did great; she impressed all the teachers.
- Wimp Fight: Giles and Anya get into a slapfight.
Xander: Okay — when I'm marveling at the immaturity...be scared.
- You Are in Command Now / Rhetorical Question Blunder
Xander: Who made you boss the boss of us?
Willow: You did. You said I could be boss.
Anya: You said to take a vote and it was unanimous.
Tara: You made a plaque that said "You're the boss of us!" with little sparkles on it.