Radar: Digimon Adventure
- In Episode 36, we are treated to a scene of Phantomon strangling Matt with his chain. You can even hear Matt choking, and yes, this was in the ENGLISH DUB! Bare in mind that death by strangulation was something even the fricken' Harry Potter movies considered to graphic and that was a PG-13 series. This was shown on a Y7 program!!
- In one of the episodes the girls were having a bath and were rudely interrupted by Gomamon. Eww.
- There's the famous slap fight between Angewomon and Ladydevimon who were calling each other "witches" all through the battle.
Izzy: "I know I shouldn't watch this, but for some reason I can't take my eyes off."
- It's OK Izzy, puberty is beginning to set in, we understand.
- They also left in a lot of the bath scenes that surprisingly (mostly) didn't get censored out. For example, Gomamon being on the girls side, they freak-naturally. Tai and Izzy walking in on Mimi (their faces are hilarious). And let's not forget that giant cockatrice Digimon chasing after Mimi and Sora who are in nothing but towels after turning the boys to stone.
- Then there's the dialogue when Joe walks in the bath in Ep 8.
Matt: "Come on in, so far we haven't found any sharks in the water." Tai: "No big ones!"
- let that sink in for a moment (Tai's facial expression does not help at all).
- Let's not forget the literal crap that got past censors when Koromon couldn't wait.
- Puppetmon's gun in the original, which was censored for the dub but made it into the manga.
- The Evil vs. Evil fight against MetalEtemon. There's also MetalEtemon's Fartillery attack.
- Similar to the Kirby and One Piece examples, there is a mention of steroids here. More specifically, when Matt sees Myotismon's One-Winged Angel formnote . Hard to believe this is from 1999, huh? Then again, considering the latter of the two characters is the bad guy, it has a bit of an implication.
- They also left in the English dub, the "666" reference in the same episode... you know, as in THE ANTI-CHRIST?! Hard to believe this got through the air back in the 90's.
- Not just a reference, it was a whole plot point that they had until "the hour of the beast" (6:06:06) This makes Myotismon practically Satan, at least until the fallen angel Lucemon (something that DISNEY didn't even attempt to censor) comes along in Season Four.
- There's a whole bunch of demon-based Digimon who don't get censored. Devimon, Demi Devimon, Devidramon, Lady Devimon, Marine Devimon, Ice Devimon, Daemon, Skull Satamon... the list goes on. The earliest toys replace Devi- with Dark- in most of those names, but the show and the later merchandise don't. What class of Digimon are they? "Fallen Angel Digimon." Of course, nearly all are the Evil Counterpart of an Angel Digimon. How nobody complained is a huge mystery. (Strangely, they've got a bigger problem with Norse Mythology. Ragnamon becomes Galacticmon, though he keeps his Ragnarok Cannon. Also, Zudomon's "Thor's Hammer" becomes "Vulcan's Hammer".)
- During the fight against Apocalymon, after Angewomon is hit by MetalSeadramon's River of Power (providing a Male Gaze shot in the process), the viewers are treated to a shot of Kari screaming... and Angewomon's cleavage.
- The dub did this beautifully, to the point where one must wonder how it was even broadcast.
- Izzy's parents actually imply that his mother had a miscarriage or a stillborn shortly before they adopted him.
- In one example literally. For the most part the dub avoided poop jokes by changing it to sludge (ex: the Numemon threw numesludge at the kids, not poop as in the original). However, in one episode when Koromon poops in a guy's car, the dub doesn't hide the fact that he did.
- In another possible example of Getting Crap Past the Radar, the dub doesn't change a plot-critical reference to the Number of the Beast.
- They don't hide the concept of death like most 90s dubs did either.
- Of course this only applies if resurrection follows. The scene where Wizardmon kicks the bucket is deleted in the dub.
- They were still explicitly clear that Wizardmon was killed though. However the final episode tries to lighten it up by suggesting that he will be reborn, of course next season we find out that it wasn't the case. (Whether the specific reference was in the original or not, it is an aspect of the original that dead Digimon are 'reconfigured' to start over; it's why Patamon spent most of the Etemon arc as Poyomon/Tokomon after his Heroic Sacrifice as Angemon. Why Wizardmon didn't get better is a good question. The only change to his situation for the dub is the exact moment where his eyes close is omitted... but we do see it in later flashbacks.)
- I'm sure they were just sent to the dungeon.
- Somehow, Matt even made a drugs joke, suggesting that Myotismon evolution to VenomMyotismon involved him being on steroids.
- The dub got away with the fact that Matt's father smoked like they normally wouldn't do.
- The dub didn't cut an instance where Izzy and Tai walk in on Mimi bathing.
- One of the programs Genai sends Koushiro is "Pafu Pafu".