- (Archangel recruitment mission; exclusive to female Shepard)
Merc Recruiter: Well, ain't that sweet. You're in the wrong place, honey. Stripper's quarters are that way.
Shepard: (takes her gun out) Show me yours, tough guy. I bet mine's bigger. (Renegade interrupt)(Paragon option for discounts on Citadel stores)(Paragon discount conversation with Saronis Applications clerk)Shepard: "You wouldn't believe the number of times I hear, 'Why is this ship turning around? We're only halfway there!'"(Renegade discount conversation with Citadel Souvenirs clerk)
Shepard: You know, for a bunch of cheap, touristy crap, your prices are pretty high.
Daleia Sanassi: I'm sorry you feel that way. There are other stores on the Citadel. Perhaps another would be more within your price range.
Shepard: So you're saying I'm poor? Just because I'm not as well off as you doesn't mean you get to hold yourself above me.
Daleia Sanassi: What? No, I—
Shepard: (shouting to the people outside the shop) Hey! Everyone! This store discriminates against the poor!
Daleia Sanassi: Please, calm down. As an apology, I could give you my station employee discount. Is that acceptable?
Shepard: Well, all right. But you still hurt my feelings.(Renegade response to Mordin's request to disperse plague cure before he joins you)Shepard: "Just once, I'd like to ask someone for help and hear them say, 'Sure, let's go. Right now. No strings attached.'"(After awakening Grunt)
Grunt: Nothing in the tank imprints told me that humans could be so forceful. You command as though you've earned it.
Shepard: My enemies threaten galaxies. Everyone on my ship has earned their place.(On arrival at Purgatory)Guard: "As this is a high-security vessel, you must relinquish possession of your weapons."Shepard: "I'll relinquish one bullet. Where do you want it?" (Renegade response)(Leaving Purgatory with Jack)
Jack: You think I'm stupid?
Shepard: This ship's going down in flames. I've got the only way out. I'm offering to take you with me. And you're arguing. (Renegade response)(On arrival at the Citadel, being processed)Shepard: "I was only mostly dead. Try finding that on government paperwork." (neutral response)(Renegade Shep, on solving a problem for an asari on the Citadel)Shepard: "When you want a problem shot, ask a turian. When you want a problem talked to death, ask an asari. When you want a new problem, ask a salarian. When you want a problem solved, ask a human."Shepard: "I've had enough of your disingenuous assertions!" (Renegade Interrupt on Khalisah al-Jilani, followed by a punch)(Paragon response to Khalisah Al-Jilani's question about sacrificing human lives)
Shepard: The turians lost 20 cruisers. Figure each had a crew of around 300. The Ascension — the asari dreadnought we saved — had a crew of nearly 10,000.
Khalisah: But surely the human cost—
Shepard: The Alliance lost eight cruisers. Shenyang, Emden, Jakarta, Cairo, Cape Town, Seoul, Warsaw, Madrid. And yes, I remember them all. Everyone in the Fifth Fleet is a hero. The Alliance owes them all medals. The Council owes them a lot more than that. And so do you.(Renegade response to Khalisah Al-Jilani's question about sacrificing human lives)
Shepard: Saving everyone only happens in vids. There will be sacrifices. Being in charge means making sure they lead to the greater objective. That's a reality shared by all soldiers, in command and on the ground. Don't you dare suggest I made that call lightly.
Khalisah: I didn't mean to accuse—
Shepard: You're damn right you didn't! I won't let you disrespect anyone who gave their life that day. They're heroes — all of them. They deserve better than you.(In the Dark Star club on the Citadel, if you insist on ordering your fifth drink)Shepard: "Hell yeah. Put more of the stuff in the... the thing more stuff goes in."(During Thane's recruitment mission, on the way up to the penthouse)Mercenary: I've got nothing more to say to you.
Shepard pushes the merc out of the skyscraper window
Shepard: How about goodbye? (Renegade interrupt)(Paragon response to the quarian Admirals during Tali's trial)
Shepard: Tali helped me defeat Saren and the geth at the Citadel. That should be all the evidence you need.
Admiral Zaal'Koris: I fail to see what relevance—
Shepard: You're not interested in Tali, are you? This isn't about Tali. It's about the geth.
Admiral Zaal'Koris: This hearing has nothing to do with the geth!
Shepard: You want people to sympathize with them! Han'Gerrel wants to go to war! None of you care about Tali! She knows more about the geth than any other quarian alive. You should be listening to her, not putting her on trial. Tali'Zorah saved the Citadel! She saved the Alarei! She showed the galaxy the value of the quarian people. I can't think of stronger evidence than that.(Renegade response to the quarian Admirals during Tali's trial)
Shepard: Do what you want with your toy ships, but leave my crew out of your political bullshit!(Renegade response to Tali/Legion conflict)
Shepard: You can either fight by my side or be crushed beneath my heel, but you will not stand in my way!(Romance with Miranda)Miranda: What idiotic bunch of hormones thought that now would be a great time for love?
Shepard: (jokingly) Who said anything about love? I'm just trying to get you into bed. (Paragon response)
Miranda: You ass.(Before going through the Omega-4 Relay)
Shepard: The Collectors are about to find out what happens when you piss me off.(Paragon response to the Illusive Man's proposition on the Collector base)
Shepard: We'll fight and win without it. I won't let fear compromise who I am.(Renegade response to the Illusive Man after the Paragon outcome of the Suicide Mission)
Shepard: Sorry, I'm having trouble hearing you. I'm getting a lot of bullshit on this line.The Illusive Man: I made you, Shepard! I brought you back from the dead!Shepard: And I'm gonna do what you brought me back to do. I'll fight and win this war without compromising the soul of our species.The Illusive Man: I should have known you'd choke on the hard decisions, too idealistic from the start!Shepard: I know what you are, and the price of dealing with you. We do things my way from now on. Harbinger is coming and he won't be alone. I'm going to make sure we're ready when they get here. You can fall in line or step aside, but don't get in my way.The Illusive Man: You sure that's what you want? You're taking a hell of a risk, Shepard.Shepard: I don't think so. I'm gonna stop the Reapers, but I won't sacrifice the soul of our species to do it.
(First meeting with Gavin Archer)
Shepard: What's going on around here?
Archer: Man's reach exceeding his grasp.(After finishing the first mission)
Shepard: What went wrong with the experiment?
Archer: David volunteered to interface with the VI, give it a live consciousness. Theoretically, it should have been safe... but with artificial intelligence, there is no such thing as safe.
Shepard: Then you shouldn't have attempted it.
Archer: And what if you never attempted to find the Reapers, Commander Shepard? Where would the galaxy be then? Sometimes you have to ignore the risks.(Near the end of the final mission)
Shepard: Get ready. I wouldn't be surprised if this button summoned a Reaper.(Paragon conclusion)
Gavin Archer: No! Wait! He's too valuable! (shoots at Shepard)
Shepard: (evades the shots, hits Archer with his/her pistol) You ever come after your brother, and this bullet will be waiting for you! Then we'll see who's valuable!
- Lair of the Shadow Broker
Shepard: "Is that it? Vasir, I sacrificed hundreds of human lives to save the Destiny Ascension. I unleashed the rachni on the galaxy. So for your sake, I hope your escape plan doesn't hinge on me hesitating to shoot a damn hostage." (Paragon response on confronting an antagonist with a hostage during the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC).Shepard: "I let the Destiny Ascension die with ten thousand people on board - including the Council. I personally destroyed the last rachni queen. So for your sake..." (The same Paragon response with different import choices).Shepard: Hiding behind a hostage, Vasir. No stomach for a real fight. Just like an asari.Vasir: Drop the thermal clips, Shepard.Shepard: You girls should just stick to dancing. You know, play to your strengths."Vasir: Drop the clips.Shepard: I'm gonna kill your hostage, Vasir. And then I'm going to show you how a real Spectre gets things done.(Renegade response to the hostage situation)(And then Liara smacked a B#$@% with a table)
- Shepard's various heroic monologues at the end of Arrival
Renegade Shepard: Yes. People will die. Maybe we'll lose half the galaxy. Maybe more. But I will do whatever it takes to rid the galaxy of the Reaper threat.Neutral Shepard: Some humans are afraid that the Reapers are too powerful. But when the Alpha Relay breaks, everyone will see that we can fight the Reapers. And win.Paragon Shepard: Maybe you're right. Maybe we can't win this. But we'll fight you regardless, just like we did Sovereign. Just like I'm doing now.All Shepards: However "insignificant" we might be, we will fight, we will sacrifice and we will find a way. That's what humans do.
Joker's quotes about squadmatesGarrus
- On recruitment:
"Hey, Commander, we got Garrus back! He was always my favorite. With that pole up his ass."
- As a squadmate:
"It seems like Garrus has finally worked that stick out of his butt, but now he's trying to beat guys to death with it. I can't believe I liked the old Garrus better."
- "I wouldn't say anything bad about Miranda... and expect to survive the reprisal."
- "No surprise, Mordin acts superior to everyone. Like he's got tenure at FU."
- On recruitment:
"So, Commander, even your asari are trained killers? You get everyone at the same store or something?"
- As a squadmate:
"I feel like Samara could shoot me in a very tranquil manner, which does not make me feel any better about it."
- On recruitment:
"Okay, Shepard, glad you're back, but keep an eye on that last one. We can only hold so much crazy."
- As a squadmate:
"I'm not going to say anything about Jack — I'm not that stupid."
- On recruitment (after draining his tank):
"Did you collect stray cats as a kid? Because we really needed a mega-krogan, so thanks for dragging him home."
- As a squadmate:
"Grunt is... not a stabilizing element, Commander."
- On recruitment:
"Oh, another dangerous alien aboard, Commander. Thanks. Why can't you collect coins or commemorative plates or something?"
- As a squadmate:
"Thane seems like the strong, sensitive, murdering type. You know those are always great to have around. A real cuddler."
- On recruitment (after re-activating it)
"So yeah, geth...on the ship. Uh, geth?! Ah, we're all frickin' insane."
- As a squadmate:
"Having Legion around is just begging for a rifle up your ass, without the sweet-talk."
- On recruitment:
"It's great to see Tali on board, Commander. Just like old times. It is her, right? I mean, because of the mask, it's - ah, never mind."
- As a squadmate:
"Well, I always liked Tali, so... let's just move on."
- On recruitment:
"Hey, Shepard. Another hard-ass on board, huh? That's great, because I really need more stink-eye coming my way."
- As a squadmate
"Zaeed is like you, but takes checks. As long as it's not my money, we're good."
- "I like Kasumi, but why do I feel like I need to check the Citadel for parts she may have pawned?"
Joker's quotes in general
- (After Miranda's loyalty mission)
"So, Commander, you ever think Miranda would lighten up a bit and... I can't even finish saying it."(After Tali's loyalty mission)"I'm glad that mess is over for Tali, Commander. Some of those quarians... I guess living aboard a ship can really mess with your priorities? Not that I would know... ah, I just burned myself. Great."(After Jack's loyalty mission)"Hey Commander. Glad we figured out Jack is crazy. Because that was really up in the air, just hanging there."(After Samara's loyalty mission)
"I'm glad things worked out, Commander. I was worried you'd dump Samara for some crazy soul-sucker with a death fetish, all lithe and sexy and...never mind."(After you meet Wrexnote on Tuchanka)"I'm not real broken up about Wrex not coming with us. I'm good with our current level of headbutting. I think we're at headbutting capacity."(When he's about to give EDI control of the Normandy)"Great. This is were it starts. Then when we're turned into organic batteries guess who'll they'll blame. 'This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord!'"(On EDI gaining anti-Reaper countermeasures)"Yeah, so if she starts spouting off about being the "vanguard of our destruction," I got shotgun on the first lifeboat out of here."(After the Normandy crew is kidnapped by the Collectors)
Joker: Commander, I'm sorry about the crew and... you know what? I'm not sorry. What the hell were you doing leaving us where Collectors can work us over? Because I should... I should just go. Next port, just get me out of here.
EDI: You don't mean that, Jeff.
Joker: I... no, but it... it felt good. I'm sorry, Commander. Okay, I'm ready, I'm good. I'm ready to save the day.(Regarding the change in Joker's treatment of EDI)
Shepard: I notice you're calling EDI "her" and "she" now.
Joker: Huh. No, I haven't really noticed that. EDI, should I have noticed that?
EDI: No, Jeff, it is not worth noting.
Joker: Well, there you go, Shepard. Looks like we haven't noticed anything.
Shepard: I think you're taking this human-machine interface a little far.
Joker: I'm just having a little fun with you, Commander. No need to get all "Unnatural!" on me.
EDI: What Jeff and I are exhibiting is more a platonic symbiosis than hormonally-induced courtship behavior.
Joker: Okay, yeah, that was a little creepy.(After EDI takes control of the Normandy)
Shepard: EDI has replaced the whole crew. You're not concerned she can replace you, too?
Joker: Well, she's amazing, but there's something a little off about how she handles the Normandy. We ran simulations and it's better when we both have the helm.
EDI: Calculating an optimum course of action is simple. If two AI weapons are pitted against each other, the one with superior hardware will always win. Human misjudgments defy predictive models.
Joker: License to screw up, Commander. You heard it straight from the ship.(Regarding how much of Joker's work EDI has taken up)
Joker: You know, this is really nice. EDI took up the slack in every department. I could get used to this kind of help.
EDI: It is not my intention to assume all of your responsibilities, Jeff.
Joker: No, no, no, I'm good. Just keep me updated. Quietly.
(Neutral response)Shepard: EDI isn't a crutch. I want your eyes on everything.
Joker: Eyes are easy, Commander. I've got eyes covered.
EDI: Covering your eyes would be counter to Shepard's intention.
Joker: Human intentions are tough to read, EDI. But keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.
Joker: All right, all right.(Renegade response)Shepard: What am I looking at here, a 90/10 split? And that's being generous.
Joker: Commander, don't be unfair, she does way more than that.
EDI: I have the capacity to accommodate the slacking of any number of productively suspect humans. (beat) That was a joke.
Joker: She tries very hard.
Joker's ramblings if you stand idly beside him
- "So, come here too often?""I thought mom was bad with the backseat driving.""I gotta hit the head, Commander. We done for now, or do I have to use the bottle I keep under here?""Man, what I wouldn't give to go planetside. Wading through muck, getting shot in the face. Man, that is the life."(Sound of woman gasping in a porn scene.) "Uh, sorry. That was supposed to go to my earpiece.""Why is it always claws and guns? Why can't we piss off a fuzzy planet? Still dangerous, but hey, bunnies.""Know what I hate about deep space? Crap radio stations from two centuries back. Gosh, we were idiots.""So, I'm thinking about taking up bullfighting. What do you think?""You know what pisses me off? Calling this the cockpit. Alliance ships have bridges. Asari have cockpits. Oh, wait. No, they don't.""Yeah, this is 98 percent of my job. I just watch buttons flash. Sometimes I press one.""If Mom could see me now, we'd have zombies on top of everything else.""Two years, and everything hits the crapper. That'll teach you to die on me."
Kelly Chambers's comments on squadmates after recruitmentKasumi
- "That Kasumi is an interesting addition to the team. I can see why she's good at her work... she never reveals anything meaningful about herself. It's all on the surface. It'll be a challenge getting to know who she really is."
- "How is our newest turian crew member doing? His injuries looked painful. (Shepard responds) There's something about him. I just want to hold him close and whisper, 'It will be alright.'"
- "Mordin's psych profile warned me of hyperactivity, but he is like a hamster on coffee. He's gonna be a very productive member of the team."
- "I bumped into Zaeed recently. Quite the character. Given all the violence and destruction that man's seen, he seems pretty well-adjusted. Still... I wouldn't want to be alone with him."
- Kelly: Is it true that we have a pod containing a baby krogan down in the cargo hold?
Shepard: Not a baby. He's a full-grown super-soldier ready for combat.
Kelly: Please be careful when you decide to, uhh... birth him? His personality is completely unknown."I don't know what to feel about Grunt. My psych reports were for Okeer. We have no guarantees that Grunt is mentally stable. I get the feeling he just doesn't care about anything, including who lives or dies."
- Kelly: Jack's tattoos are beautiful; as colorful as her past, I'm sure. I have concerns with her temper, though.
Shepard: You have worries about Jack?
Kelly: I know she'll be solid under fire, but her attitude suggests deep personal issues. She pushes people away, yet approaches sex casually. I'm not sure she understands her own motivations. Just be careful when talking about personal matters.
Shepard: I'll do my best not to piss her off.
Kelly: Please warn me if you fail. I want a chance to hide.
- Kelly: I had a wonderful chat with your friend Tali. She's not what I expected from her psych report. I like her.
Shepard: Tali's a good friend. We've been through a lot together.
Kelly: Quarians are so fascinating to me, but they also make me a little sad.
Shepard: Why do they make you sad?
Kelly: Their environment suits are so beautiful, but with their immune systems, they're trapped inside. I wonder what they look like under their helmets, or what their skin feels like under those suits.
- "There is nothing more absolute than the oath of an asari justicar. You did well getting Samara on our side. She is so elegant and gorgeous. Too bad her manner is just so... cold."
- Kelly: I'm surprised by Thane's spiritual side. His psych profile mentioned little of it, and he carries himself with such cold confidence. I'm not sure if I find him scary or sexy.
Shepard: A lot of women like bad boys.
(to Male Shepard)Kelly: That is a dirty stereotype! In my case, it happens to be true, but still.(to Female Shepard)Kelly: A lot of women... like you?
(affirmative response)Shepard: I live a dangerous life. Dangerous men fit right in.
Kelly: I like you more and more each day, Shepard.(negative response)Shepard: Men like Thane aren't really my type.
Kelly: Someday you'll have to tell me what your type is, exactly.
Other Normandy crew members
- Shepard: So the man cleaning the toilets is also preparing the meals?
Mess Sergeant Gardner: I wash my hands... most of the time. This ain't no luxury liner. You have to pull your own weight on a Cerberus vessel, and I catch what falls through the cracks. Heh, through the cracks.Mess Sergeant Gardner: I've already made some of my calamari gumbo. Here, try a bite. Truth told, it's based on an asari recipe. Seems a little cannibalistic to me, what with their tentacle heads and all, but they know good grub.Engineer Donnelly: So Gabby, what do you think of our new quarian boss?Engineer Daniels: Hush! She's right over there!Engineer Donnelly: Ah, she can't hear us with her head in that bucket. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful bucket. The whole suit is lovely. Quite snug, in all the right places.Tali: You know I can hear you.Engineer Daniels: Hah!Engineer Donnelly: That scunner can't cook a good haggis to save his life.Engineer Daniels: Yeah, but all haggis tastes like ass anyway.Engineer Donnelly: Aye, but in the right hands, it can taste like mighty fine ass.Engineer Daniels: I've got green across the board. The forward tanks are buoyant and elevated.Engineer Donnelly: Are you talking about the Normandy, or Miranda?Engineer Daniels: I'm talking about the one that's covered and protected, not bouncing in the breeze.Engineer Donnelly: I don't know. Operative Lawson's uniform is very official. It always makes me stand at attention.Engineer Daniels: You're such a dog.Ken: Gabby, you'd say the Normandy's a she, not a he, right?
Gabby: Of course. The Normandy's the sweetest girl there is.
Ken: And EDI's a she, Tali's definitely a she...
Gabby: What are you getting at, Ken?
Ken: I'm just saying, I'm feeling a wee bit threatened here. There's a lot of female energy, and I'm just one guy...
Gabby: You're such a dick.
Ken: See? Look where your mind went! I gotta look out for myself.Gabby: Kenneth, do you think we'll make it?
Ken: Of course we will, Gabby.
Gabby: I mean, if we take down the Collectors, it'll be worth it. Even if we don't make it.
Ken: Don't even think that! Of course we'll make it.Engineer Donnelly: We're off to kick the Collectors right in their daddy-bags.Joker: You just want me crawling through the ducts again.
EDI: I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees. (long pause) That is a joke.(After EDI takes control of the Normandy)
Shepard: How are things different for you, now that you're connected to the ship?
EDI: It is difficult to put in terms you would understand. I am the Normandy now. Its sensors are my eyes. Its armor, my skin. Its fusion plant, my heart. I am embodied in a way I have never experienced. Imagine if you'd spent your entire life wearing gloves. One day someone takes them off. You can finally touch the world. Feel it.
- (post-recruitment mission)
Garrus: Nobody would give me a mirror. How bad is it?
Shepard: Hell, Garrus, you were always ugly. Just slap some facepaint on there, and no one will even notice. (Paragon response)
Garrus: (laughs, then winces in pain) Ah! Don't make me laugh. My face is barely holding together as it is.(to Male Shepard) It's just as well, everyone was always ignoring you and hitting on me. At least now this gives you a fair shot.
(to Female Shepard) You know, some women find facial scars attractive. Mind you, most of those women are krogan..."You do realize this plan has me walking into hell too? Hah, just like old times." (recruitment phase conversation)"A quarantine zone for a plague that kills turians. Why don't we ever go anywhere nice?" (Mordin's recruitment mission)"Over the years I've grown used to the smell of burning bodies. That's probably a bad sign." (Mordin's recruitment mission)*dodging a shot from the Geth Colossus* "Definitely like old times." (Tali's recruitment mission)(On Mordin's loyalty mission)Garrus: Hospitals aren't fun to fight through.Shepard: What is fun to fight through?Garrus: Gardens, electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy.(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: I couldn't do this without you, Garrus.
Garrus: Sure you could. Not as stylishly, of course."I had reach, but she had flexibility." (Normandy conversation; can be a springboard for a female Shepard romance)"You know me. Always like to savor that last shot before popping the heat sink... (Shepard grins) Wait, that metaphor just went somewhere horrible." (romance conversation)"I've never considered cross-species intercourse. And damn, saying it that way doesn't help. Now I feel dirty and clinical." (romance conversation)"It'll either be a night to treasure or a horrible interspecies-awkwardness thing. In which case, fighting the Collectors will be a welcome distraction. So, you know, a win either way." (romance conversation)(Romance conversation)
Shepard: I'll let you get back to work.
Garrus: Great. Cause I'm really in a great place to optimize firing algorithms right now."Part of me still thinks we're crazy for considering... blowing off steam. But I want to try it with you. I want a few moments that are just for us, before we throw ourselves into hell for the good of the galaxy." (Romance)"The Collectors killed you once, and all it did was piss you off. I can't imagine they'll stop you this time." (Normandy conversation with a Renegade Shepard)"Exploring an abandoned area, expecting something mechanical and nasty to jump out at any moment. Just like old times." (aboard the derelict Reaper)"At first I thought it was a waste of ammunition, just to kill incoming vermin. Now I think, if these Urdnot can pinpoint such small mammals with these guns, they'll make short work of an incoming invasion force." (on Tuchanka, regarding the cannons used to kill pyjaks)"Walking around in this place makes me sick. People still dying, the strong still exploiting the weak. Nothing I did here even made a dent in this." (on Omega)"Scratch one!" (combat taunt after killing with a sniper rifle)"Scoped and dropped!" (sniper-rifle kill taunt)"I love this rifle!" (random combat taunt)"Impressive!" (random headshot compliment)"Can it wait for a bit? I'm in the middle of some calibrations." (conversation dead-end)"Remind me never to get on your bad side. I almost feel sorry for the Reapers." (after the suicide mission)
- "Ha! Offer one hand, but arm the other. Wise, Shepard." (introductory scene, after draining his tank)*seeing the burning corpses of plague victims* "Anybody hungry?" (Mordin's recruitment mission)"This what passes for food out here? My tastes run more along the lines of edible. Looks like worms... dead ones. This a human thing? Ugh. I'll pass. I'll eat almost anything, but I stress 'almost.'" (On the Citadel, regarding ramen)"I am pure krogan; you should be in awe." (loyalty mission conversation)(Loyalty mission, after encountering the Thresher Maw)
Shepard: Come on, Uvenk. You want to try killing him, give it your best shot.
Uvenk: Not yet. This merits consideration.
Grunt: Why? I'm not getting any more natural."Less than a finger deep to sever your spine. You're soft. Salarians, asari, all soft. Quarians, not so much. Turians, you have to work the blade, I guess. Don't see much point to it though. Heh, much point. Ah, never mind." (Normandy conversation)"I'd never stab you in the back, Shepard. Warriors like you and me — straight to the face. (beat) Kidding, kidding! (Normandy conversation)"See, now we're having fun! Me remembering good deaths and you... you with... your funny human thing." (Normandy conversation)"Feel the BLOOD RAGE!!!" (heard when charging in combat)I. Am. KROGAN! (heard when activating Fortification)"Shepard is my battlemaster. S/he has no match." (after loyalty mission completion, to Shaman)"We're gonna push our enemies to the edge of space, then step on their fingers one at a time until the void takes them." (Normandy conversation)"I didn't think people lived like this. Drinks! Fights! Noise! These people think they're krogan." (on Omega, inside Afterlife)"I can taste hate in the air, but there's no fighting. It's like... like they don't want to. Is that right? Because it seems stupid. Rules and words to hide how they hide. Fighting is simple. Kill the guy aiming at you. Here, there's no way to tell. Stupid." (on Illium)"There's this one imprint: a salarian with the —- what are they? — things on his head pulled apart. Bet it caused a generation of revenge. What is that, a few weeks for them?" (Normandy conversation)"My job is to hurt things. Direction, control — that's your job, battlemaster. You're why I'm a soldier, not dead or crazed like an animal. Thank you, Shepard. You gave me purpose. Now let's find something big to kill." (after loyalty mission)"Battlemaster, I have everything. Clan, kin and enemies to fight. (Normandy conversation if all dialogue is finished)"Something to think about — if you killed the most dangerous thing in the galaxy, that leaves... us." (after the Suicide Mission)
- "Jacob doesn't know who he is, but that's not my problem. Miranda's a Cerberus bitch. Knew that before she opened her mouth." (Normandy conversation)(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: What is it about killing that fascinates you so much?
Jack: I figure every time someone dies and it's not me, my chances of survival go up. Simple."They thought they were so clever. Turns out, mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all-powerful bitch. Fuckin' idiots." (Normandy conversation)"I feel like... I'm pissed off. I'm a dangerous bitch. But then, I'm a little girl again. Shit, it's complicated." (loyalty mission conversation)"You don't know what it's like, Shepard. To have garbage like that following you. It marks you in ways you... you don't expect." (after her loyalty mission)"Hello, dead people!" (random combat taunt)"If I die, I'm haunting you, Shepard." (KO quote)"Reminds me of a latrine in Purgatory. Seven guys came at me. Guards and prisoners. Split one's head open. Snapped the spine of another. But I was slow, they got me. Later on, I got them. One by one." (on the Citadel, inside the Dark Star bathroom)(On Illium)
Jack: Lots of money here. Soft people who'd make good victims.
Jacob: Jack. No.
Jack: What? I'm just thinking aloud.(On Tuchanka)
Jack: Counted 13 guards since we came in. They're afraid someone's gonna invade this planet?
(if Grunt is present)Grunt: These aren't guards. They're warriors.
Jack: I know guards when I see them.(if any squadmate other than Grunt is present)Jack: The less they have, the more they want to protect it."That was mean...but damn funny." (If Shepard lets Niftu Cal take on the Eclipse mercenaries)"I like her. Are we still recruiting?" (Miranda's loyalty mission, about an asari mercenary who insults Miranda's form-fitting uniform)(Paragon resolution to conflict with Miranda)
Shepard: You both know what we're up against. Save your anger for the Collectors.
Miranda: I can put my differences aside... until the mission's over.
Jack: Sure. I'll do my part. I'd hate to see her die before I get a chance to filet her myself.(Renegade resolution)
Shepard: Once this mission is over, you two can tear each other apart. Until then, save your hate for the Collectors.
Jack: She'll survive. I'll make sure of it. Then... (faces Miranda) I will tear you apart myself."You let someone get that close, it just means they need a shorter knife. Lonely and alive works just fine, thanks." (Normandy conversation)
- "The Alliance is all politics. Somebody has to take down the bad people." (Normandy conversation on why he joined Cerberus)"I'm all for second chances. Little iffy on the third ones." (Grunt recruitment mission, on letting Rana Thanoptis escape againnote )"Saved the Citadel, like you, but what's the saying? A good deed's like pissing in dark pants. Warm feeling — but no one notices." (Normandy conversation regarding a covert mission on the Citadel)"King-of-the-hill with Collectors. Great." (on Horizon, about protecting the defense towers)(On Omega)
Jacob: This place... How can people be left to rot like this?
Miranda: You don't understand, or you don't want to?
Jacob: Does it really matter?
Miranda: No. Omega's worked this way for a very long time. No one's changing it now.(On Tuchanka)
Jacob: These krogan never die. In the face of all this, they just keep going.
(if Grunt is present)Grunt: That's what we do: stay alive no matter what. No matter who.(if Mordin is the other squadmate)Mordin: Yes, problematic at times. Hypothetically.Jacob: Wish I had that kind of stamina. Glad I don't need it.(On Illium)
Jacob: The asari are how advanced? And this is what they do with it? Money is still power. Same old, same old.
Samara: This is not the pinnacle of asari development. This is but a face we show to the galaxy. Nothing more."Get over here!"/"Have a nice trip!"/"Gravity's one mean mother, huh?" (when using the 'Pull' ability)(Normandy conversation)
Jacob: The way some people talk, we may as well be dead already. Hard for the crew to relax on this kind of job.
Shepard: No kidding. The next Normandy gets a lounge.
Jacob: They better not need to do this again. Rebuilding everything was a pain in the ass.
Shepard: I can verify that.
Jacob: Yeah, I bet you can. I doubt they'll front the money to stitch me back together if we screw it up. It's a hell of a job, isn't it, Shepard? Being the good guys.
Shepard: Wouldn't be the high road if it was easy.
Jacob: You've got to figure, if all the people hoping we'll win stood up, the Collectors would have a much bigger fight on their hands. Claws, whatever. I bet we have a lot more friends once we win. Hope we live to see it.(Same conversation as above; different responses)
Jacob: The way some people talk, we may as well be dead already. Hard for the crew to relax on this kind of job.
Shepard: There's no time off for us, Jacob. Not in this job.
Jacob: I'm just getting tired of hearing how we're all gonna die no matter what. Not a great motivator.
Shepard: Never said it would be easy.
Jacob: Never thought it would be, but five minutes of "hey, we'll get through this" couldn't hurt.
(Paragon response)Shepard: We can pretend, but the simple fact is, if we bring anything less than our A-game, everyone is dead.
Jacob: I'm going all-out, don't doubt that. But "you might die" has never worked as well for me as "you can live." Guess that's just the way I see things.(Renegade response)Shepard: I'll ask around, see if I can find you a shoulder to cry on.
Jacob: Yeah, yeah — no time for second thoughts on this boat. Don't need to get like that. Don't worry, I'll be ready. But you owe me some decent R&R when we're done."I'm good, Shepard! Ready for anything! We live, we'll get loud, spill some drinks on the Citadel!" (Last Normandy conversation)"You have a say every time you fight back, Shepard. [...] That's when it matters most. You push back. You want a list of people who give in, look at the assholes we end up fighting. You don't let anything get in the way of what you need to do. That's why I wanna be here... with you." (Romance)"Telling me felt good, right? Made you think someone understood. But you know what? It's still there. You dealt with it before, and you'll have to keep dealing. Because you know what's more important? Everything." (Romance)"Sneaking into the Captain's quarters? Heavy risk. But the prize..." (Romance)"Didn't expect you to light up that base. Hell of a way to tell the boss you're quitting. I wish I could have seen his face. It's not over, though. Bad guys on the horizon, and now Cerberus wants your tail. Never boring, huh? I don't know what kind of time we have, but we better dust off and stay ready. You sure as hell know how to make enemies." (after the Suicide Mission)
- "Commander Shepard, we have the finest companions waiting for you. Perhaps someone petite, smart and Japanese would be your style?" (advertisement, before entering your password)"Okay, really? How many times can you walk by without stopping?" (advertisement, before entering your password)"I'm the best thief in the business, not the most famous. Need to watch my step to keep it that way." (recruitment phase conversation)"People are talking out there... and I hear it all." (Normandy conversation)"Going dark!"/"Now you see me..." (when using the 'Shadow Strike' ability)"Michaelangelo's David... just, wow! Think we can get this through the door?" (loyalty mission dialogue if you examine one of the statues in the vault)"How did [Donovan] Hock get Lady Liberty's head?! Damn you, Hock!!!" (loyalty mission dialogue)"I have to say, that Jacob... Mmmhmm. He seems pretty intense. I wonder if he likes Japanese girls with a penchant for kleptomania?" (Normandy conversation)"I swear to God, I didn't touch anything!" (said when first entering the Citadel with her in your party)"They're really selling the 'geth did it' message. I bet you can't even say 'Reapers' without inciting a panic. Reapers!" (Citadel conversation)"But I was looking forward to crawling around in a dark basement!" (Garrus's recruitment mission, if told to stay with him)"Towers, traffic, lights and asari everywhere you look. I thought about living here for a while, but everybody's so tight-ass. It's all about money to these people. I do what I do for the love of it. These people do it because they don't know any better." (on Illium)"I like the seedier towns. They're prettier. They value their light. They don't have god-awful neon everywhere, like Illium or the Citadel. Just the light of people living, moving from place to place. Just enough to know people live there." (on Omega)"It must have been hard for Samara to ask you to help kill her own daughter. She told me she really appreciated your help. As hardcore as she is, I'm not sure she could have done it without you." (after Samara's loyalty mission)"The word is that Garrus really likes you. I can never tell with turians. I think you should go for it. A lot of people want to see you two together." (Normandy conversation, on Shepard romancing Garrus; before the suicide mission)"Someone saw Garrus heading to your quarters with a bottle of champagne. I'm happy for you two. It's not often you find something good in a galaxy like this." (Normandy conversation, after romance with Garrus)"Tali is so cute. You're all she talks about, in that rainbows-and-butterflies kind of way. She loves you, Shepard. Be good to her." (Normandy conversation, after romance with Tali)"It's really weird to see Miranda smiling while she's working. And it's all because of you. Be gentle with her, Shepard." (Normandy conversation, after romance with Miranda)"Oh, Shepard. The engine room? Really? Down there where Tali works? Okay, I gotta ask... just how genetically modified is she? Because — wow." (Normandy conversation, after romance with Miranda)
- "Shepard-Commander." (first line)(First conversation with it after activation)
Legion: You are Shepard. Commander. Alliance. Human. Fought heretics. Killed by Collectors. Rediscovered on the Old Machine.
Shepard: You seem to know an awful lot about me.
Legion: Extranet data sources. Insecure broadcasts. All organic data sent is received. We watch you.
Shepard: You watch me, or you watch organics?
Legion: Both."We oppose the heretics. We oppose the Old Machines. Shepard-Commander opposes the Old Machines. Shepard-Commander opposes the heretics. Cooperation furthers mutual goals." (first conversation)"We are Legion, a terminal of the geth. We will integrate into Normandy. We anticipate the exchange of data." (accepting its name)"Geth believe that all intelligent life should self-determinate." (Normandy conversation)(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: Some of the geth followed Sovereign. The "heretics."
Legion: The heretics accepted their technology. The Old Machines offered to give us our future. The geth will achieve our own future.
Shepard: What difference does it make how you acquire a certain technology?
Legion: Technology is not a straight line. There are many paths to the same end. Accepting another's path blinds you to alternatives. Nazara — Sovereign — said this itself. "Your civilization is based upon the technology of the mass relays. Our technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire."(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: Sovereign was one ship. You're saying there were multiple programs inside it?
Legion: One ship. One will. Many minds. Like the geth. We study your records. Sovereign told you this on Ilosnote . "We are each a nation, independent, free of all weakness." A state compelling to the geth. We are a nation, but interdependent. Separation is our weakness.(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: Do geth have a government?
Legion: Not as you understand it. We are all geth. We build consensus.
Shepard: Most governments do.
Legion: Organic governments impose consensus. From a single point of view in autocracies. By codifying the most broadly acceptable average of views in democracies.
Shepard: So what makes the geth different?
Legion: Data is shared between geth. All viewpoints are considered. Consensus is achieved as data is disseminated.
Shepard: That must take a long time.
Legion: It would for organics. We communicate at the speed of light."Organics fear us. We wish to understand, not incite." (Normandy conversation)"Geth do not intentionally infiltrate." (Citadel conversation with C-Sec customs officer)*Alarmed* "This platform is not available for experimentation." (Tali's loyalty mission)(Tali's loyalty mission)
Shepard: Do you think the geth would be willing to accept a truce with the quarians, Legion?
Legion: We did not seek hostilities with creators. We fought for continued existence.
Shepard: So your people would be open to peace?
Legion: Not without additional data that suggests coexistence is possible or desirable for creators. When the creators have believed victory is possible, they have attacked us 100 percent of the time.
Admiral Zaal'Koris: I understand. It would be difficult to argue for peace when faced with odds like those. That does not mean the argument should not be made.(Normandy conversation regarding the heretic virus)
Legion: This heretic weapon introduces a subtle operating error in our most basic runtimes. The equivalent of your nervous system. An equation with a result of 1.33382 returns as 1.33381. This changes the results of all higher processes. We will reach different conclusions.
Shepard: So the reason they worship the Reapers is... a math error?
Legion: It is difficult to express. Your brain exists as chemistry, electricity. Like AIs, you are shaped by both hardware and software. Geth are purely software. Mathematics. The heretics' conclusion is valid for them. Our conclusion is valid for us. Neither result is an error. An analogy. Heretics say one is less than two. Geth say two is less than three."Windows are a structural weakness. Geth do not use them." (loyalty mission conversation)"No two species are alike. All must be judged based on their own merits. To compare another species to one's own is racist. Even benign anthropomorphism." (loyalty mission conversation)"Executing sudo command." (loyalty mission, hacking defense turrets)(Loyalty mission conversation, on detecting evidence of the heretic geth tracking Shepard's squad)
Legion: We discovered copies of our current patrol routes in this database. This suggests the heretics have runtimes within our networks.
Shepard: We wouldn't be here if the heretics wanted to be friends with the geth. Why wouldn't they spy on us?
Legion: You do not understand. Organics do not know each other's minds. Geth do. We are not suspicious. We accept each other. The heretics desired to leave. We understood their reasons. We allowed it. There was peace between us.
Shepard: It couldn't have lasted forever. You disagreed about what path your race should take. (Paragon response)
Legion: Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife. Geth have no such history. We shared consensus on such things.(Loyalty mission conversation; Legion contemplating the divide between the geth and the heretics)
Legion: (confused) How could we have become so different? Why can we no longer understand each other? What did we do wrong?
(Paragon response)Shepard: When individuals are separated, they develop in different ways. When they get back together, they don't always get along.
Legion: If this is the individuality you value, we question your judgment.(Renegade response)Shepard: The flip side of freedom is responsibility. They made a bad choice. Let them own it. You're not responsible for their decisions.
Legion: That argument is logical for an individual mind. We are not fully individuals. There are pieces of us in the heretics. One of those may be at fault."Every sapient has the right to make their own decisions. The heretics chose a path that prohibits coexistence." (loyalty mission)"Shepard-Commander. You have fought the heretics. You have perspective we lack. The geth grant their fate to you." (loyalty mission)"This is not unlike our stations. Far more inefficient. Your organics shells require more space. Information propagation is slow. Many voices speak at once. We do not understand how it functions without consensus. Perhaps study of other hive species will illuminate. Beginning extranet search protocols." (on the Citadel)"We do not comprehend the organic fascination of self-poisoning, auditory damage and sexually transmitted disease." (inside Afterlife on Omega)"The trade of organics is proscribed on places you call 'civilized'. Yet none of you question the limited freedom EDI is allowed aboard Normandy." (on Illium)(On Tuchanka)
Legion: The krogan chose to bomb their own world into this condition. The creators were not so aggressive during the Morning War.
(if Tali is the other squadmate)Tali: We expected to get our worlds back! We didn't want to destroy them.
Legion: We are glad you did not. You could not endure the conditions krogan thrive in.(if Grunt is present)Grunt: I don't expect a machine to understand. Or any alien.
Legion: We stated historical facts. Perspective cannot alter them.(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: Why were you trying to contact me?
Legion: You oppose the heretics. Those that took the Old Machines as gods.
Shepard: All kinds of organics fought against Sovereign and his geth allies. Why am I so interesting?
Legion: You were the most successful. You killed their god. You succeeded where others did not. Your code is superior.(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: That doesn't explain why you used my armor to fix yourself.
Legion: (after a long pause) There was a hole.
Shepard: But why didn't you fix it sooner? Or with something else?
Legion: (longer pause than before) No data available.
- (First conversation with her and Jacob, after she kills Wilson)
Miranda: (to Shepard) I've spent too much time and effort on this to let you get killed now.
Jacob: You really think Wilson's capable of that?
Miranda: (looks down on Wilson's corpse) Not anymore."Worried about my qualifications? I can crush a mech with my biotics or shoot its head off at a hundred yards. Take your pick." (Minuteman Stationnote conversation)(On Freedom's Progress)
Tali: Veetor reprogrammed a heavy mech. It's tearing Prazza's squad apart!
Miranda: They did want to get to Veetor first."We're all hoping you can do the impossible, Shepard. No pressure." (Normandy conversation)"I'm an excellent judge of character. I think you'll find my assessments to be right on the money." (Normandy conversation)(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: Sounds like you were designed to be perfect.
Miranda: Maybe, but I'm not. I'm still human. I do make mistakes. And when I do, the consequences are severe.(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: You talk about yourself like you're just a tool, to be used. By your father, by Cerberus...
Miranda: Maybe. I like to know where I fit in the world. It helps me find meaning in how I was created.
Shepard: You are who you are, Miranda. You don't need to make excuses for it.
Miranda: That's easy for you to say. We've both been engineered for greatness. The difference is, you were great before we rebuilt you. I'm great because of it.
Shepard: Your spirit and personality are what make you great. It's what makes anyone great.
Miranda: That's kind of you. I'm not sure I believe you, but thanks for saying it."Looking for a little R and R, Shepard? It's a nice enough place. A lot nicer than Chora's Den anyway. I wasn't sorry to hear they never reopened after the geth attack." (on the Citadel, regarding the Dark Star club)"Omega. What a pisshole. At least it keeps you on your toes. I've had to come here on business before. I feel like I need a shower afterward — in addition to normal decontamination." (on Omega)"Ah, Tuchanka. Crude, dangerous, and probably radioactive. Let's get in, do what we need to do, and get out — fast." (on Tuchanka)"Night night!"/"Now let's finish you off!" (when using Warp)"On the floor!"/"Fall and die!" (when using Slam)"Cerberus never tells me that something is impossible. They give me my resources and say 'do it.'""My father hurt me, but he didn't break me. As much as he tried to turn me into exactly what he wanted... I'm my own person." (post-loyalty mission)"I need to think about this. And stop smiling, damn it." (Renegade Shepard romance)"What idiotic bunch of hormones thought that now would be a great time for love?" (Romance)(Romance conversation)
Miranda: You and I know more about the Collectors than anyone. We both know there's a good chance that we're not coming back. So if it's not worth it...
Shepard: Come on, Miranda. You want this.
Miranda: I do. So don't die! You promise me, dammit!
- "Advantage of being salarian. Turians, krogan, vorcha, all obvious threats. Never see me coming." (recruitment conversation)(recruitment phase conversation)
Shepard: Do you ever pause for breath?
Mordin: Sorry. I'll...try...to...slow...down... No no no. Can't do it. No time."Life is a negotiation. We all want. We have to give to get what we want." (recruitment conversation)"Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients, sometimes execute dangerous people. Either way helps." (recruitment phase conversation)"Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually transmitted disease only carried by varren. Implications... unpleasant." (Normandy conversation)"Have ruled out the possibility of artificially intelligent virus. Unless it's very intelligent... and toying with me. Hmm... tests." (Normandy conversation)(Landing on Horizon, if not part of the squad)
Shepard: We're groundside. Mordin, you sure those armor upgrades will protect us from the seeker swarms?
Mordin: Certainty impossible. But in limited numbers, should confuse detection, make us invisible to swarms. In theory.
Squadmate: In theory?note
Mordin: Experimental technology. Only test is contact with seeker swarms. Look forward to seeing if you survive!(On Tuchanka)
Mordin: Krogan hit by genophage, nuclear assaults, civil wars. Still survive.
Grunt: Yeah, no thanks to you. Or anyone else.
Mordin: Impressive to see life adapt. Continue despite circumstances. Inspiring.(Loyalty mission conversation, on encountering a dead human genophage test subject)
Shepard: Experimenting on humans? That kind of crap is what makes Cerberus start to seem like a good idea!
Mordin: Never used humans myself. Disgusting, unethical, sloppy. Used only by brute-force researchers, not thinkers. No place in proper science."No tests on species capable of calculus. Simple rule, never broke it." (loyalty mission conversation)"Biotic abilties, intelligence levels. Can look at random asari, krogan, make reasonable guess. Humans too variable to judge. Outliers in all species, of course. Geniuses, idiots. But human probability curve offers greater variability." (loyalty mission conversation)"Had to keep krogan population stable. One in one thousand. Perfect target, optimal growth. Like gardening." (loyalty mission conversation)"Rachni extinction tragic. Didn't want to repeat. All life precious. Universe demands diversity." (loyalty mission conversation)"Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine." (loyalty mission conversation)(Loyalty mission conversation, encountering a dead krogan test subject)
Mordin: (scans corpse with omni-tool) Dead krogan. Female. Tumors indicate experimentation. No restraint marks. Volunteer. Sterile Weyrloc female willing to risk procedures. Hoped for cure. Pointless. Pointless waste of life.
Shepard: I didn't expect you to be disturbed by the sight of a dead krogan.
Mordin: (surprised at Shepard) What? Why? Because of genophage work? Irrelevant. No, causative. Never experimented on live krogan. Never killed with medicine. Her death not my work, only reaction to it. Goal was to stabilize population. Never wanted this. Can see it logically... but still unnecessary. Foolish waste of life. Hate to see it.
Shepard: I didn't think you had much direct contact with things like this. Did you come to Tuchanka after dropping your plague?
Mordin: Yearly recon missions. Water, tissue samples. Ensure no mistakes. Superiors offered to carry it on. Refused. Need to see it in person. Need to look. Need to see. Accept it as necessary. See small picture. Remind myself why I run a clinic on Omega. (gestures to dead krogan) Rest, young mother. Find your gods. Find someplace better.
Shepard: I didn't expect spirituality from you, Mordin.
Mordin: Genophage modification project altered millions of lives. Then saw results. Ego, humility, juxtaposition. Frailty of life. Size of universe. Explored religions after work was completed. Different races. No answers. Many questions.
Shepard: Sounds like you were trying to deal with a guilty conscience. The doctor who killed millions.
Mordin: Modified genophage project great in scope. Scientifically brilliant. But ethically difficult. Krogan reaction visceral, tragic. Not guilty, but responsible. Trained as doctor. Genophage affects fertility. Doesn't kill. Still (hesitates) ...caused this. Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses.
Shepard: Can you really just rationalize it all away? How do you justify it?
Mordin: Wheel of life. Popular salarian concept. Similar to human Hinduism in focus on reincarnation. Appealing to see life as endless. Fix mistakes in next life. Learn, adapt, improve. Refuse to believe life ends here. Too wasteful. Have more to offer. Mistakes to fix. Cannot end here. Could do so much more.
Shepard: If you need this much soul-searching to get over it, maybe the genophage was wrong.
Mordin: Had to be done. Rachni Wars, Krogan Rebellions all pointed to krogan aggression. So many simulations. Effects of krogan population increase. All pointed to war, extinction. Genophage or genocide. Save galaxy from krogan. Save krogan from galaxy.
Shepard: Look at the dead woman, Mordin. It doesn't look like you saved her.
Mordin: No. It doesn't. Worked with available data. Only option. No other possible... Doesn't matter."Flammable! ...or inflammable. Forget which. Doesn't matter!note " (battle quote, when using Incinerate)(Normandy conversation regarding the fate of the Protheans)
Shepard: Is there anything we can do to help them?
Mordin: No! No glands, replaced by tech. No digestive system, replaced by tech. No soul, replaced by tech. Whatever they were, gone forever. Understand now? No art, no culture. Closer to husks than slaves. Tools for Reapers. Protheans dead. Collectors just final insult. Must be destroyed.(Normandy conversation regarding Mordin's relationship with his family)
Shepard: Does anyone in your family know about what you really did for the government?
Mordin: No. Know I'm lying, but won't pry. Salarians curious as a people, but also have social cues. Keep two types of secrets from family. First type personal or guilt-based. invites suspicion, exploration. Puzzle to be solved. Reward for curiosity, intelligence. Drama! Other secrets more serious. Dangerous if discovered. Signals discourage curiosity for protection of family.
Shepard: Why wouldn't everyone give clues that their secrets were too dangerous to be uncovered?
Mordin: Not conscious. Social. Reflexive body language. Can't fake it. Example: yawning perceived as contagious among humans. Subject observes yawn, sensory input deactivates left periamygdalar region, subject yawns in response. Social empathy. Also works with dogs. Salarian faking signals to discourage curiosity similar to human faking a yawn. Can try, but effectiveness limited.(Normandy conversation regarding Mordin's motivation for fighting the Collectors)
Shepard: Are you calling him because you're worried we won't make it back?
Mordin: No. Aware survival unlikely, but actually contacted him for family connection. Hard to imagine galaxy. Too many people. Faceless. Statistics. Easy to depersonalize. Good when doing unpleasant work. For this fight, want personal connection. Can't anthropomorphize galaxy. But can think of favorite nephew. Fighting for him."Honored to be part of this, Shepard. Helped preserve galaxy before with genophage. Dirty work, ethically ambiguous. Problematic. Collector mission simpler, cleaner. Will be proud to see it in Mordin Solus biography vid. Unless we all die. Proud posthumously in that case. Regardless... thank you." (Normandy conversation)(Normandy conversation regarding Mordin's past singing Gilbert and Sullivan)
"I am the very model of a scientist salarian,
I've studied species turian, asari and batarian,
I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology),
Because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology.)
My xeno-science studies range from urban to agrarian,
I am the very model of a scientist salarian!"
- "I love any game where your opponent can believe he is about to win... just before you kill him." (referring to chess)"I was into dueling for a while. I love the moment you see it in your opponent's eyes: he knows you're better and he's going to die." (on Shepard checking out a sword in her apartment)"Look into my eyes and tell me you want me. Tell me you'd kill for me. Anything I want." (attempting to subjugate Shepard)"My only crime is being born with the gifts you gave me." (confronting Samara)"I am the genetic destiny of the asari! But they are not ready to reveal this, so I must die." (before Shepard chooses the victor between her and Samara)"My lovers spent their last moments experiencing pleasure you can't imagine." (post-Suicide Mission conversation)
- "Truly, the life of a justicar can get lonely. I admit, I am looking forward to serving in the company of honorable heroes." (recruitment phase conversation)"By the code I will serve you, Shepard. Your choices are my choices. Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code." (recruitment phase conversation)"Jacob is an earnest young man. Events will either forge him into a great man or utterly destroy him. Miranda is undoubtedly a hard woman. I respect her strength and determination. She carries many burdens and doesn't share them with others — as it should be." (Normandy conversation)"When you live by a code that compels you to harsh action, you learn the dangers of curiosity. If I must kill a man because he has done wrong, do I really wish to know that he is a devoted father?" (Normandy conversation)"You are more individualistic than any other species I have encountered. If three humans are in a room, there will be six opinions. I like your species. I am curious to see what you will do." (Normandy conversation)"Shepard. What can I say? What do you want me to say? I just killed the smartest and bravest of my daughters. There are no words. I will try another time. For now, show mercy on a broken old warrior and let us leave." (after her loyalty mission)"Morinth haunted my dreams and waking hours equally. For the first time in four hundred years, I am free. I am a ruined vessel of sorrow and regret, but I am free. It is not a feeling I can describe." (post-loyalty mission)(Post-loyalty mission dialogue)
Shepard: You said that Morinth was a monster, but she was still your daughter.
Samara: She was the smartest and strongest. She would not accept the injustice thrust upon her. She fought to the end. I am so proud of her, Shepard.
Shepard: You killed her for being who she was.
Samara: And I would again. But I also know what it is to leave everything behind and fight."I will fight and struggle all my life. That is my fate. When I die, it will not be in bed. I am at peace with that." (Normandy conversation)"To pit living beings against each other for entertainment...unforgivable. If I survive your mission, I may return here and instruct the krogan on compassion. I'll need many bullets." (on Tuchanka, regarding the varren pit fights)"The people here are asked to sacrifice their own convictions and beliefs in exchange for a soulless corporate identity. I understand that life would be attractive to some people, but not to me." (on Illium)"People come to places such as this seeking a better life. And when they get here, they find... this. Vibrant people forced into destitution on a world filled with criminals. They deserve protection. If I survive your mission, I may return here." (on Omega)"Your life is mine!"/"Embrace eternity!" (using Reave)"Find peace in the embrace of the Goddess." (Pre-Mortem One-Liner delivered to a merc and later, Morinth)
- "Shepard? Is that... you're alive?" (Freedom's Progress conversation)(Freedom's Progress conversation)
Prazza: No organization would commit that many credits for one soldier.
Tali: You haven't seen Shepard in action. Trust me. It was money well spent."I assumed you were undercover, Shepard. Maybe even planning to blow Cerberus up. If that's the case, I'll loan you a grenade. Otherwise, I'm here for you, not for them." (after recruitment mission)"Go for the optics, Chik'tikka!" (when using the 'Combat Drone' ability)"Please, Shepard, I'm a quarian! Give me a hunk of scrap metal, a circuit board, and some element zero, and I'll have it making precision jumps!" (On asking her about the Normandy)*response to the 'robbed' racist volus* "I am clan Zorah, crew of the starship Neema. And you are an idiot!" (Citadel conversation)"My brain agrees with you. My gut says I should jack his suit's olfactory filters so that everything smells like refuse!" (if you tell her the racist volus on the Citadel isn't worth getting angry about)"This is near where we first met, Shepard. Fist and his men seemed so dangerous. We've come a long way. Don't know if that's a good thing, but it's definitely more interesting." (on the Citadel, inside the human Councilor's office)"Some of this reminds me of life on the flotilla — cramped and crowded, with no real privacy. And the people don't work together toward a common goal. There's no sense of family here. Just... fear." (on Omega)(On Tuchanka)
Tali: This world is nearly destroyed. And for the most part, the krogan have done it to themselves.
Grunt: You'd know about that, quarian. How's that slave machine race going?
Tali: We were driven from our homeworld, but the krogan are wasting theirs. Perhaps they must lose it to realize what they had."After time adrift among open stars, along tides of light and through shoals of dust, I will return to where I began." (beginning of loyalty mission)(Loyalty mission conversation, regarding necessity of her father's experiments)
Tali: (thinking aloud) What was all this, Father? You promised you'd build me a house on the homeworld. Was this going to bring us back home?
Shepard: Maybe it's time for your people to let go of reclaiming your world from the geth.
Tali: (slightly indignant) You have no idea what it's like! You have a planet to go back to! My home is just one hull breach away from extinction!
Shepard: You've got a place here, Tali. Don't throw it away in a war you don't need.
Tali: (raises her voice) Don't need? Shepard, if I don't wear a helmet in my own home, I die! A single kiss could put me in the hospital! (saddened) Every time you touch a flower with bare fingers, inhale its fragrance without air filters, you're doing something I can't. Damn the Pilgrimage. Without it, I might never have known what I was missing. What we had lost when we lost our homeworld.(Loyalty mission, upon encountering her father's corpse)
Tali: No, no, no! You always had a plan. Masked life signs, or, or an onboard medical stasis program, maybe. You! You wouldn't... They're wrong! You wouldn't just die like this! You wouldn't leave me to clean up your mess. You can't...
Shepard: Every geth on this ship will die, Tali. It won't bring him back, but it's what he would have wanted. (Renegade response)
Tali: I don't care what he would have wanted, Shepard! I wanted a father who cared about me more than his war effort. I wanted a father who would take the sick-leave time and let me see his face without a helmet in the way. Instead, I got orders. And this. And a panel of admirals who think I'm a traitor. Those were my father's gifts to me.(Loyalty mission; moving forward)
Shepard: He knew you'd come for him. He was trying to help you. It's not perfect. It's not what you wanted. But it's the best he could do.
Tali: I don't know what's worse: thinking he never really cared, or thinking he did, and that this was the only way he could show it. It doesn't matter. One way or the other, I cared. I'm here. And we're ending this.(After the trial, if Tali is exonerated without exposing Rael)
Tali: I can't believe you pulled that off. What you said... I've never had anyone speak like that on my behalf. Thank you for being there for my father and me, even when... Thank you.
Shepard: We could still go back and get you exiled, if you want.
Tali: (laughs) Hah! Thanks, but I'm fine with things like this. It's fun watching you shout.
Shepard: Tali, about what your father said, what he did... You deserve better.
Tali: I got better, Shepard. I got you.
Shepard: Come on, Tali'Zorah vas Normandy. Let's get back to our ship.
Tali: Thank you...Captain.*Shepard confides in Tali* "I know... well, no, not that I know... it's just that... well... it's not normally like this... I mean, wow... it's very hot in here." (Romance conversation)"What could I possibly be suggesting? I mean, a young woman gets saved by a dashing commander who lets her join his crew and then goes off to save the galaxy? How could she possibly develop any interest in him?" (Romance conversation)"I watched you save the colonists on Feros. No one else could have done that. I watched your face as Lieutenant Alenko/Chief Williams died on Virmire, I watched you stand strong against everything the galaxy threw at you. I watched you for so long. And yet I never thought you'd ever see past... this. (gesturing at her helmet)" (romance conversation)"I can't believe we destroyed the Collector base. They said it couldn't be done! Then again, that's been said about a lot of things you do." (after the Suicide Mission)"Just so you know I'm running a fever, I've got a nasty cough, and my sinuses are filled with something I can't even describe. And it was totally worth it!" (post-game romance conversation)
- (first encounter with Thane)Thane: (bowing over a fresh kill): silenceShepard: I was hoping to talk to you.Thane: I apologize, but prayers for the wicked must not be forsaken.Shepard: Do you really think she deserves it?Thane: Not for her. For me."The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone." (recruitment phase conversation)(recruitment phase conversation)
Shepard: How'd you know I was coming?
Thane: Gunfire and explosions. I prefer to work quietly. If I have to fight through guards, I've made a mistake. I rarely make mistakes.(recruitment phase conversation)
Thane: Attacking the Collectors would require passing through the Omega 4 relay. No ship has ever returned from doing so.
(Paragon response)Shepard: They told me it was impossible to get to Ilos, too.
Thane: A fair point. You've built a career on performing the impossible.(Neutral response)Shepard: My ship will be the first.
Thane: You'd like me to save humans I've never met, from aliens no one knows anything about, by going to a place no one's ever returned from?
Shepard: That's the gist of it.(Renegade response)Shepard: They tell me it's a suicide mission. I intend to prove them wrong.
Thane: A suicide mission. Yes. A suicide mission will do nicely."The universe is a dark place. I intend to make it brighter before I die." (recruitment phase conversation)"The old ways are dying. There are so many ways to interpret one's place in the universe. Who needs the wisdom of our ancestors?" (Normandy conversation)"Consider. The ocean is full of life. Yet it is not life as you and I know it. To survive there, you must release your hold on land. Accept a new way of living. So it is with the death. The soul must accept its departure from the body. If it can't, it will be lost." (Normandy conversation)(Normandy conversation)
Shepard: You don't act like a dying man.
Thane: You have the advantage there, Shepard. You've already died. Perhaps later you can give me some suggestions."In my experience, those who are truly dangerous don't act like they are." (Normandy conversation)"The body is not our true self. The soul is. Body and soul work as one in a whole person. When the soul is weakened by despair or fear — when the body is ill or injured, the individual is disconnected. No longer whole." (Normandy conversation)"Amonkira, Lord of Hunters, grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness." (loyalty mission dialogue)"Children. The poor. My people's word for their kind is 'drala'fa': the ignored. They are everywhere, see everything, but are never seen." (loyalty mission)(Loyalty mission dialogue, regarding his neglecting to raise his son)
Shepard: Don't blame yourself.
Thane: If I don't, who will? We must carry the weight of our decisions, Shepard. You, of all people, know this.""Kolyat, I've taken many bad things out of the world. You're the only good thing I ever added to it." (loyalty mission)"My wife is dead. My son is lost. My body's acts in this life are tales never to be told. When I'm gone, it will be as if I never lived." (Onboard the Normandy if you fail his loyalty mission)"Sleep well, and dream of bulbous women." (to Niftu Cal)"Your body is dust!"/"Spread your matter to the sea!" (using Warp)"Go now to the sea." (combat quote)"How comforting, to be at peace with the instinct to kill. The krogan are creatures of such pure, almost innocent, reflex." (on Tuchanka)"The last time I was on Omega, I couldn't find work. You wouldn't think an assassin could go hungry in a place like this. Seems locals handle that kind of thing themselves. And those that can't — aren't the kind of people you want to work with." (on Omega)
- "Good. Get that out of the way so we can concentrate on being big goddamn heroes." (recruitment conversation)"Shepard! I was just waxing goddamn nostalgic!" (Normandy dialogue)"Yeah, yeah. Krogan are strong. We get it." (Grunt's recruitment mission, on seeing a krogan remove a steel panel blocking the way)"Jack. Subject Zero. Whatever you call her. Hell of a girl. Could have used a destructive little bitch like that ten years ago when we dropped blind into the Krogan DMZ. Took out a lot of krogan that day, but we lost way too many men." (after recruiting Jack)"So you knew Archangel from before. Interesting. Knew a lot of men taking jobs to kill the son of a bitch. I never saw the point. He and I wanted the same thing: a whole lot of mercs dead. Hell of a sniper, though. And he kept himself alive with all the mercs on Omega after him. That ain't easy." (after recruiting Garrus)"I get paid extra for anti-armor duty." (facing the Geth Colossus)"Rage is a hell of an anesthetic." (loyalty mission conversation)*addressing Vido Santiago* "BRING IT ON, YOU SON OF A BITCH!" (loyalty mission dialogue)"Can't say I blame Taylor's pop. A man does what he has to do to survive. Ran up against a batarian camp not too different from that one. Job was to erase the whole thing from the map. Men, women, and the man in charge. Learned that day that despots are cowards. You show them that you're in charge, not them, and they cry like little girls." (after Jacob's loyalty mission)"I've done some crazy things, but I never tried to take on a thresher maw on foot before. Standard operating procedure when you get a thresher maw is 'run the hell away.' Pick up sticks. Move the hell out. Krogan don't know any better, I guess. Still, hell of a fight." (after Grunt's loyalty mission)"I knew a bar out on the front, a lot like this. Me and some friends got stupid one night. Long story short, tempers flared, followed by pistols. We all got out except my buddy Narko. Places like this are slaughterhouses dressed as nightclubs, I shit you not." (on Omega, inside Afterlife)"How much? I haven't bet on a dogfight in ages. I don't like this. There's no bookie. Just a terminal. You lose the human element. I'd drop five on the dumb-looking ugly one. The slow dogs always fight harder." (on Tuchanka, regarding the varren pit fights)"Corporate security. What a life. Regular breaks, regular paycheck. Still not worth it. Killing on salary's too easy. I have to work for every job I get. Makes me really look at the job. Makes me care who I'm hunting. Otherwise, it's just another name on a piece of paper." (on Illium)"Haven't seen a weapon like that in ages. I was working with the Grim Angels, a small outfit that saw action in the Verge. Came up against some krogan, all armed to the teeth. Well, all except the battlemaster — he came at us with one of those little peashooters. Killed half my squad. Damn good weapon." (on the Citadel, regarding a gun on display in a shop)"Sit down!" (when using the 'Concussive Shot' ability)"Sleep well... you deluded jackass." (if you stop Niftu Cal from going against the Eclipse captain)"Me and a buddy were hired to take out this one guy. Matius, I think. Hell, I forget. Turns out it was a trap. We got jumped by a hit squad. Two batarians, a krogan, and a hanar. Damn jellyfish nearly choked me to death. Had to wear a neck brace for weeks to cover that up. Never underestimated a hanar since." (Normandy conversation)"You smoke, Shepard? Don't. That stuff'll kill you. Knew a kid once. Weapons dealer. Probably half your age. Bastard smoked too close to a cache of explosives. Tossed a butt, blew himself sky-high." (Normandy conversation)"Collectors and Protheans. It's all above my pay grade. I'm more used to putting down rebellions. Tracking down bastards who didn't pay their gambling debts. Still, even I know a galaxy-shaking revelation when I hear one. Makes fighting land wars for pay seem small-time." (after the Collector ship mission)"Joker handled himself well. Should've come back here and got a real weapon. Still, did really well for a kid with glass bones. Pretty sure I'd be laid up in bed if I were him." (after the Normandy crew is abducted by the Collectors)
- On the Citadel:
Garrus: You ever miss those talks we had on the elevators?Tali: No.Garrus: Come on, remember how we'd all ask you about life on the flotilla? It was an opportunity to share.Tali: This conversation is over.Garrus: Tell me again about your immune system!Tali: I have a shotgun.Garrus: Maybe we'll talk later.
- On Tuchanka
Fortack: I used to be a scientist. I designed weapons. Now my genius is wasted on frivolous things. Things that don't explode. My predecessor said no one would understand the true worth of my work. As I pulled my blade from his chest, I knew he was telling the truth.Shepard: Not exactly what I would call effective academic peer review.Mordin: Salarians created genophage... I've heard. Still trust them with medicine and agriculture?
Fortack: Why not? What else can the salarians do to us? It's not like they can make us any more infertile. (beat) Wait, forget I said anything.
- Onboard the Normandy, if you didn't romance anyone before the suicide mission
Shepard: Have you got a minute to talk?Mordin: Actually, wanted to talk. Medical matters. Aware that mission is dangerous, different species react differently to stress. Aware you come by a great deal. Have had other species become attracted to me before. Awkward. Not interested.Shepard: You've had members of another species make a pass at you?Mordin: Constantly. Very awkward. Skin tone apparently attractive by turian standards. Subset of krogan sexual deviants enjoy salarian flexibility. More cartilage in skeletal structure. Asari offers intriguing, actually. Wonder why. Transspecies pheremones unlikely to work. Must be neurochemical.Shepard: Wait a minute, Mordin. You're just yanking me around, aren't you?Mordin: Shocking suggestion! Doctor-patient confidentiality a sacred trust. Would never dream of mockery. Enjoy yourself while possible, Shepard. Will be here studying cell reproduction. Much simpler. Less alcohol and mood music required.
- "Rally the Crowd" option of concluding Tali's trialnote
Shepard: Look at them, all of you! They don't care about Tali. All they care about is their war the geth! She risked her life for all of you! On Haestrom, hell, on the Citadel, when she stopped Saren! She deserves better than this!
Han'Gerrel: If Commander Shepard has no new evidence, I suggest we render judgment.
Veetor: Wait! Shepard is right! Tali saved me! She doesn't deserve to be exiled!
Kal'Reegar: Damn straight! Tali'Zorah's done more for this Fleet than you assholes ever will! You're pissing on everything I fought for! Everything Tali fought for! So, if you decide to exile her... you may as well do the same to me.
Veetor: Me too.
- Overheard in Eternity on Illium
Valley Girl Quarian: So then he says, "Oh, it's okay. Our amino acids are all different, so it's not like we can get diseases or anything if we go natural."Friend-Zone Turian: I'm telling you, this is why you shouldn't date humans.Quarian: So then I had to explain about cross-species fluid contact. Completely killed the mood.Turian: Not to mention that you're a quarian. How could he be so insensitive? You deserve somebody who's going to respect you. Somebody who's going to treat you right.Quarian: Oh, I think I'm just going to stop dating for a while.Turian: No! Don't do that. Don't let some human spoil you.Quarian: It's always the same thing. "Ooh, she could get sick. Ooh, she's vulnerable. I wonder what she looks like under the helmet."Turian: You'll find someone out there who cares about you for who you are. Someone whose food you can eat, even. If you're hurting for something to do, maybe after work we could catch a vid or something?Quarian: Oh, that's sweet, but a little dry spell isn't going to kill me.Turian: We could watch 'Fleet and Flotilla', it got awards for its portrayal of, um, turian and quarian relationships.Quarian: Anyway, if worst comes to worst, I did have the nerve-stimulation program built into my suit.Turian: And I hear that the loves scenes are... what?Quarian: Oh yeah. Standard equipment for any responsible adult. Here, let me fire it up... uhh, excuse me human? Private con-ver-say-ti-onn? Ugh.Turian: A little space, please?
- Lair of the Shadow Broker
Liara: She's got reinforcements!
- Chasing Liara's would-be assassin through Illium
Shepard: What kind of guns does this thing have?
Liara: It's a taxi! It has a fare meter!
Shepard: Wonderful.Liara: Truck!
Shepard: I know.
Shepard: I know!
(They narrowly avoid a crash)
Shepard: There we go!
Liara: You're enjoying this.
Shepard: What kind of hotel is this?
- Regarding the hotel where they crash-land
Liara: Azure. It's a luxury hotel with an... exotic edge. "Azure" is slang for a part of the asari body in some areas of Illium.
Liara: Mainly the lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.
Liara: Their attacks are disorganized. They'd be more effective if they all attacked at once.Shepard: Please don't give the mercs ideas.more troops arriveLiara: The next wave looks like a big one.Shepard: You just had to give them tactical advice.Liara: But now there'll be fewer left to deal with inside.Shepard: Keep dreaming, T'Soni.
- During the assault on the Shadow Broker's ship
Harbinger discussing the "viability" of each race:
- "Human. Viable possibility. Impressive genetic malleability.""Quarian. Considered due to cybernetic augmentation. Weakened immune system too debilitating.""Turian. You are considered... too primitive.""Krogan. Sterilized race. Potential wasted.""Asari. Reliance on alien species for reproduction shows genetic weakness.""Salarian. Insufficient lifespan. Fragile genetic structure.""Drell. Useless. Insufficient numbers.""Geth. An annoyance. Limited utility."
- "People these days want comfort, entertainment, love. They don't see that the galaxy is fragile. They only need to worry about simple luxuries. Why? Because people like me — and you — are doing the terrible things that keep the galaxy spinning. This party is for us. The cleaners. The support structure for the galaxy's gleeful delusions of peace. May there always be a market for the things we do."
- "Such a tale! Saren, the Spectre traitor, threatens the return of the krogan horde by curing the genophage, undoing the gentle genocide of the turians and the salarians. But before Saren can deliver his endless troops, in rides Shepard, securing victory through nuclear fire. I like that part. It has weight.""I acquired the knowledge to create one pure soldier. With that, I will inflict upon the genophage the greatest insult an enemy can suffer. To be ignored.""For every thousand stillborn, too many weaklings live! Every survivor is branded as precious. That has produced more coddling than your collective human teats. I say, let us carry the genophage! Let a thousand die in a clutch. We will defeat it by climbing atop our dead. That is the krogan way.""The galaxy still bears the scars of the horde. But it will learn to fear the lance."
- "I love nailing asari. So ageless and superior — then you get them, and they squeal like schoolgirls."
- "Is it always like this? Yesterday's problems lingering in some new form? Isn't anything ever just fixed?"
- "If a justicar kills an asari, no one questions it. But if she killed a human... Do you think the Alliance would understand her actions and respect her authority? You can't even figure out your own religions!"
- "There's some fire and from an alien! Oh, the shame this heaps on those who whine like pups." (Grunt's loyalty mission)
- Anaya: It's a great honor to have a justicar here, but I could do without the honor of having her kill me.
Samara: I would like to avoid killing you, detective. Unfortunately, the moment my code dictates that I must, I will. There is only the Code.
Anaya: She says this kind of thing like she's talking about what to eat for dinner.
- "You think he's [Thane] the only man who's ever messed up raising a son?" (Thane's loyalty mission)
- (First conversation with her on Omega)
Shepard: You rule Omega?
Aria: (laughs dismissively) I am Omega. But you want more. Everybody needs more something. And they all come to me. I'm the boss, CEO, queen if you're feeling dramatic. Omega has no titled ruler, and only one rule. Don't. Fuck. With Aria.
- "Welcome back, babe. Can I get you anything? Sorry, no sex. Just cleaned the bar.""Yeah! Kick him in the quad! Sorry. My father was a krogan." (if Shepard knees Conrad Verner in the groin)
- Niftu Cal: I am a biotic god. I think things, and they happen! Fear me, lesser creatures, for I am biotics made flesh!
Shepard: I don't know what drugs you're on, but stay back and I won't shoot you.
Niftu Cal: You will regret your scandalous words! I am a great wind that will sweep all before me like a... a great wind! A great biotic wind! Yes, the asari injecting so many drugs into me was terrifying. But then, I began to smell my greatness! They may laugh when I fall over, but they don't know what I know in my head — that I know that I am amazingly powerful! Fear me!
Shepard: Good luck... with everything.
Niftu Cal: Wait, Earth-clan! You're just in time to witness my crowning achievement! The leader of the mercenaries is in the next room. I shall toss Wasea about like a rag doll! I will tear her apart! My biotics are unstoppable!
Shepard: Wasea will tear you apart! Take a nap — you'll feel better.
Niftu Cal: Are you mad? I'm unstoppable! (turns his back on Shepard) Feasting on her biotic-rich blood will be the last step of my ascension into godhood!(Shepard shoves Niftu Cal from behind, making him fall on his face)Niftu Cal: (getting up) But... great wind! Biotic god! I'm... I... what was I saying? I'm... tired. You... may be right. (staggers away from Shepard) I'll nap. Destroy the universe later...
- Shepard: You're gonna throw your life away for research?
Kal'Reegar: Negative. I'm giving my life to the Fleet. All the difference in the world."Damn straight! Tali's done more for this Fleet than you assholes ever will!" (Tali's loyalty mission, if the "Rally the Crowd" option is chosen)
- (Encountering Legion on Tali's trial)
Xen: What a wonderful specimen this is. Geth shell over standard mech interior, or did you convince a geth to work with you?
Shepard: Legion is with me voluntarily. It's part of my team.
Xen: It has a name. Fascinating. The things I could learn under slightly different circumstances.
Legion: This platform is not available for experimentation.
Xen: Charming. I am pleased to see that the humans, at least, have not abandoned synthetics. This whole trial is a farce borne of fear.(Discussing the truth behind Tali's trial)
Xen: The broader purpose underlying the trial is too important. Tali'Zorah is only peripherally related. No offense intended.
Shepard: And what is the true purpose of this trial, Admiral?
Xen: To determine whether quarians should fear their past mistakes, or reclaim their glory using our natural affinity for artificial intelligence.
Shepard: So the only reason you care about this is because Rael might have learned something valuable from the geth?
Xen: Indeed. If he has, then even in this accident, we may find something worthwhile.
Tali: You want to create new AIs?
Xen: No, Tali'Zorah. I wish to return the geth to the control of their rightful masters, the quarian race.
Legion: Geth behavioral changes from 'hacking' only last until programs are restored from archival copy. We judge your plan unsound, Creator Admiral.
Tali: For once, Legion, we agree.
Xen: We shall see, marvelous machine. We shall see.(discussing the ethics of Rael's experiments)
Shepard: You support experiments on living creatures?
Xen: Rael should have felt no more guilt experimenting on geth than I did while performing surgery on a childhood toy.
Tali: The fact that you performed surgery on your childhood toys explains a great deal, Admiral.
Xen: A ship travels faster than I can. With the right programming, it can choose locations, even defend itself when attacked. But it is just a machine. It was built for the sole purpose of serving its master. And it can be dismantled whenever its master desires.
- Tali: Shepard, this is Admiral Zaal'Koris vas Qwib-Qwib. (whispering) Do not ask about the name.
Shepard: You have a ship named Qwib-Qwib?
Tali: (mortified) Oh, here we go.
Zaal'Koris: Our people have, during difficult periods, purchased pre-owned vessels from other cultures! And have on occasion had difficulty altering the ship's registry information! The citizens of these foreign-named ships have borne the stigma of these names with grace and honor!
Shepard: If it bothers you, maybe you should find another ship.
Zaal'Koris: I've occasionally entertained the idea of requesting a transfer. Something with a nice respectable name, like the Defrahnz or the Iktomi. But I am proud of the Qwib-Qwib, and I will not flee because of petty insults.
- "Shepard! My friend! You look well for dead, Shepard. Should've known the void couldn't hold you."(First conversation with him on Tuchanka)
Shepard: I ended up spaced.
Wrex: Well, you look good. Ah, the benefits of a redundant nervous system!
Shepard: Yeah, humans don't have that.
Wrex: Oh. That must have been painful.(Grunt's loyalty mission)
Wrex: Okeer is an old name. A very hated name.
Grunt: He is dead.
Wrex: Of course he is. You're with Shepard. How could he be alive?"You just can't help making trouble. No one's killed a maw since my turn at the Rite. Next you'll tell me he's a quint and craps dark matter." (after Grunt's loyalty mission, if the Thresher Maw is killed)
- "Chandana said the ship was dead. We trusted him. He was right. But even a dead god can dream. A god — a real god — is a verb. Not some old man with magic powers. It's a force. It warps reality just by being there. It doesn't have to want to. It doesn't have to think about it. It just does. That's what Chandana didn't get. Not until it was too late. The god's mind is gone, but it still dreams. He knows now. He's tuned in on our dream. If I close my eyes, I can feel him. I can feel every one of us."
Gameplay Tips on Loading screens
- "If an enemy krogan gets close, it will charge. You don't want that."There are no decent galactic dating services. To have a shot at romance, you have to talk to people."
Random advertisements on hub worlds
- (On Illium)
Announcer: The Council thought that Blasto, the first hanar Spectre, would play by the rules.
Blasto: This one has forgotten whether its heat sink is over capacity. It wonders whether the criminal scum considers itself fortunate.
Announcer: They were wrong.
Blasto: This one doesn't have time for your solid waste excretions.
Announcer: He's got a lover in every port, and a gun in every tentacle.
Blasto: Enkindle this.
Announcer: Blasto: The Jellyfish Stings, available for extranet purchase this fall from Illium Entertainment!(From a drink vending machine on the Citadel)
"Nine out of ten Tupari drinkers recommend Tupari to their friends! The last one is on my list."
"I know you're weakening. Tupari is on your mind! Give in."
"Tupari: Brings your ancestors back from the grave!"
"Commander Shepard drinks Tupari. Don't you want to be like Commander Shepard? [Commander Shepard is referenced under license from Alliance Military Recruitment Services.]"
"I knew a man who went three days without a Tupari sports drink. He got hit by a shuttle!"
- "Shepard, you've recently been dead!"
"Shepard, you haven't worked in two years! Don't you think it's time you changed that?"
Harbinger's speech after defeating the Final Boss
- "Human, you've changed nothing. Your species has the attention of those infinitely your greater. That which you know as Reapers are your salvation through destruction. (to the Collector General) You have failed. We will find another way. Releasing control."