Playing With: Science Is Bad
Basic Trope: Science is dangerous/Always Chaotic Evil.
Back to Science Is Bad
- Straight: Megacorp has been experimenting with technology Powered by a Forsaken Child.
- Exaggerated: Every scientifically-minded individual enjoys shooting people and stabbing kittens For the Evulz.
- Downplayed: Most scientists tend to be Morally Ambiguous Doctorates, or just really rude.
- Justified: Science is viewed as heretical in-setting, and is pursued in defiance of the local Crystal Dragon Jesus.
- Subverted: As straight, but their main competitor, Trope Co., has been experimenting ethically for decades...
- Double Subverted: ...As far as the public knows.
- Parodied: Satan lobbies strongly for increased science education.
- Zig Zagged: TropeCo invents a ray that fires pure joy...which it then uses to brainwash the world...and then Megacorp scientists disable the ray...by nuking the city it's contained in. But the nuke turned everything into ice cream, and people still died from it. And irradiated ice cream can't be safe to eat...
- Scientists never appear.
- Scientists are pretty evenly spread across the good/evil axis.
- Enforced: The producer's girlfriend was taken by a hot scientist guy, so he made the writers change the story into an anti-science Producer Tract.
- Lampshaded: "Oh, come on!! Could we have at least one non-Mad Scientist? Huh?"
- Invoked: Dr. McLennan's jealous colleague, Dr. Barton, gives both of them a drug that makes them stupid.
- Emperor Evulz turns the crowd against the local Science Hero, making the think his science is evil. He then sits back and watches them tear him limb from limb.
- Emperor Evulz keeps his citizens from using technology against him by convincing his subjects that any science more advanced than the wheel is evil.
- Defied: Behold! THE ENLIGHTENED CARL SAGAN-MAN!! Educating the world in the wonders of SCIENCE!!!
- Discussed: "These newcomers know how to use chemicals. Are they trustworthy?"
- Conversed: "Oh, here we go. The bad guy's a scientist. Did the writers never watch Mythbusters? 'Cuz those guys are friggin' awesome."
- Deconstructed: Anti-science fanatics destroy the scientific community, leading to a dark age where medicine and technology come to a halt.
- Reconstructed: ...But magic is just as good.
- Played For Laughs: Mad Scientist as Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain.
- Played For Drama: Dr. McLennan has to go on the run when the people get the idea to Burn All the Scientists, and eventually gets caught and killed because he's an Absent-Minded Professor.
Back to Science Is Bad