Playing With: Pals with Jesus
Basic Trope: A perfectly normal person is friends with a divine/supernatural being.
Back to Pals with Jesus
- Straight: Bob and Jesus have a standing date to go bowling every Saturday night.
- Bob and Jesus share an apartment together and split chores and bills.
- Bob is friend with almost every divine or religious being out there.
- Bob and Jesus are lovers.
- Downplayed: Bob and Jesus live in the same town and have met a few times, but they're not close friends.
- Subverted: Bob's friend Jesus only looks like Him and is frequently mistaken for Him.
- Double Subverted: Except that Jesus is Invisible to Normals and appears as he truly is to those who can sense him, like Bob.
- Parodied: Bob is invited to a huge party in the Astral Realm, where members of several pantheons will be in attendance.
- Zig Zagged: Bob and Jesus have been friends, like, forever! Except Bob has a mental disorder and confuses a friend with Jesus, who plays along to be nice. Except that Jesus does miracles but only in front of Bob! However, Bob being an Unreliable Narrator throws doubt on it.
- Averted: Bob and Jesus are pals... the same way Jesus is pals with every other Christian, through prayer.
- Enforced: "We are particularly tired of those works portraying God as an unsympathetic jerkass, so we went along to incorporate Jesus into the show, as an affable and rather human person, to defy this pejorative convention."
- Lampshaded: "Wait, you're friends with who?"
- Invoked: Bob's address book is seen; Jesus is on the J list.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Jesus always tries to befriend Bob, but he keeps eluding him because he infers it would just bring lot of trouble and comedic situations into him.
- Discussed: "Why would Jesus want a human for a best friend?" "He's Jesus, why wouldn't he?"
- Conversed: "Which divine figure would you want as your best friend?"
- Seeing Jesus on earth, especially seeing him doing ordinary everyday things like going bowling, causes mass hysteria as the belief systems of Christians and especially non-christians are shattered.
- Enemies with Atheists.
- Alternatively, Bob's friendliness with Jesus invites divine and defiled retribution from both heaven and hell on him and his world...
- ...But, being friends with Jesus, either evades, redirects, or otherwise fails to be affected by the wrath of angels and demons.
- ...eventually the belief systems are rebuild around bowling and priests start celebrating Mass in bowling alleys.
Back to Pals with Jesus