Japan were a New Wave band from London formed by vocalist David Sylvian, bassist Mick Karn, Keyboardist Richard Barbieri and drummer Steve Jansen. There were active from 1974 to 1982 and reunited shortly in 1991. They are considered an influential Synth Pop band of The Eighties and leader David Sylvian later became a distinctive Art Pop pioneer.Not to be confused with Japan, the country.
- Adolescent Sex (1978)
- Obscure Alternatives (1978)
- Quiet Life (1979)
- Gentlemen Take Polaroids (1980)
- Tin Drum (1981)
- Rain Tree Crow (1991)
This band provides examples of:
- Badass: Bassist Mick Karn. Also quite The Dandy.
- Bishōnen: Everyone in this band.
- Breakup Breakout: David Sylvian became an iconic art pop musician of The Eighties.
- Camp: They weren't called New Romantics for no reason.
- Deadpan Snarker: David Sylvian has his moments.Reporter: If gentlemen used to take Polaroids, do they take Hipstamatic pics on their iPhones now?Sylvian: No, I think they take Viagra now.
- Darker and Edgier: They were known for easy-going Synth Pop, but later evolved into complex Genre Busters.
- Dutch Angle: The music video for Swing.
- Expy: Nightporter is very reminiscent to Erik Satie's Gymnopédie No. 1.
- Some people accuse David Sylvian to be an expy of David Bowie.
- Genre-Busting: The last album combines synth-pop with East-Asian folk music.
- Glam Rock: Started like that, and just kept the flamboyant clothes.
- Intentionally Awkward Title: Adolescent Sex.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: They never really get higher than a 3. But it's not like they wanted.
- Nobody Loves the Bassist: Averted, as Mick Karn is considered one of the best rock bassists of all time.
- Red China: Played straight on their album Tin Drum. The cover◊ shows David Sylvian sitting below a Mao poster, eating rice.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Once again, everyone in this band.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: David Sylvian. He didn't wear them during their Glam Rock years.
- Synth Pop
- Three Chords and the Truth: Mostly averted.
- Trope Codifier: New Romantic, which is a lush version of Synth Pop.
- Word Salad Lyrics: David Sylvian is prone of that.