Maō Dante or Demon Lord Dante is a 1971 manga by Go Nagai. Remakes of the manga were released in 1994 and 2002. A 13-episode anime was released in 2002. Unfortunately, the animation of that series was extremely poor, the story was filled with plot holes, and to get it worse, the English dubbed version was dreadful at best.Many themes from Maō Dante recur in other works by Nagai, including Devilman and Devilman Lady. In fact, Devilman came into being because Toei wanted to make a Lighter and Softer version of Dante.
- Attempted Rape: Lamia to Medusa.
- Battle of the Still Frames: the majority of the anime's action sequences were this.
- Eye Beams: Dante starts using these out of nowhere in the last episode.
- Fanservice: This is written by Go Nagai, so it's expected to pop out here and there.
- God Is Evil
- Heroic Sacrifice: Ironically, most demons get this treatment, especially Medusa in her Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Hijacking Cthulhu: The title demon tricks Ryo into freeing it, then rewards the boy by eating him. But somehow, Ryo's personality survives this, taking over Dante's body and displacing its previous human identity Judas Iscariot .
- Hot-Blooded Sideburns: Obviously.
- Light Is Not Good: God speaks to his followers via a pillar of light.
- Lost in Translation: Official subs have... questionable quality. Prime example is calling Beelzebub "Veil Zebub". His demon form is even a giant fly.
- Male Gaze: Comes up during Fanservice parts. Shower scenes come to mind.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Dante and Medusa are combinations between dinosaurs, mechas, humans and even God's pure power. Typical cooking, right?
- Power of Love: In the final episode Ryou and Saori's mutual love destroys the Big Bad. Subverted in that it also destroys the world, kills everyone else, and puts them in the roles of Adam and Eve of the new world.
- Rape as Drama: While it was never shown on screen, one can guess how Lamia impregnated dozens of kidnapped women in her dimension/lair. Scene with them hanging down naked and pregnant from her nets.
- Satan: One of the sealed Demon Lords. He's actually a pretty nice guy.