Manga: Mahou Shoujo of the End
A horrifying combination of Blackest Night
and Silent Hill
coupled together with the Magical Girl
Genre. Mahou Shoujo of the End
or Magical Girls of the End
is a horror manga written by Sato Kentaro that was released in 2012.
The story revolves around Kii Kogami, who lives a dull high school life with his bullied childhood friend. One day, a monstrous magical girl appears and kills nearly everyone in the school
, turning their dead corpses into zombies.
With a few survivors throughout the city, Kogami escapes the school as the Mahou Shoujo and their undead minions take over the city.
Compare Puella Magi Madoka Magica
and Elfen Lied
for stories about as dark.
- Alien Sky: A giant pentagram appears in the sky as Kii and the survivors flee the school. It shatters, releasing hundreds of Magical Girls.
- Anyone Can Die: And they do. Horribly.
- Ax-Crazy: Akuta. He doesn't even care about everything that is happening.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: many of the Magical Girls have powers not typically related to magical girls (not to mention necromancy). The very first one immediately proceeds to blow up several people with a mere touch of her wand, and most others are no better: one causes gruesome deformities, at least one makes heads go boom, one has been seen spraying poison gas, one sends out razor waves and one is even capable of possession.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Even though he has yet to use it against other Mahou Shoujos, apparently Akuta is able to use a Mahou Shoujo's wand. Nobody else has tried it, so it is unclear whether it is only him or whether anybody could do it. It might be because he has come in contact with a destroyed Mahou Shoujo's remains.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Beware Tsukune.
- Body Horror: In later chapters, one Magical Girl dressed like a nurse can be seen using her wand to switch people's limbs around. Several of her victims are seen laying on the ground because they are unable to move their deformed bodies, screaming for her to change them back.
- Bring My Brown Pants: In the first chapter, Tsukune wets herself after a magical girl massacres everyone inside the classroom except her and Kii.
- The Bullies: Sayano and Miki, whose first appearance in the story has them dunking Tsukune's head in a bucket of dirty mop water. Given what Kii finds out after traveling to the past, this may be an Invoked Trope on Tsukune's part...
- Catch Phrase: "Magical..." for Magical Girls.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Akuta the pervert cop, literally. He becomes instrumental in destroying the parasite Mahou Shoujo as he is the only one in the building who is actually good with a gun. He also becomes a major protagonist, if you can even call him that.
- Cute Mute: Himeji.
- Dysfunctional Family: Kii's family.
- Domestic Abuser: Kii's father
- Evil Costume Switch: The newly-risen zombies' clothes shift into black tatters very similar to the Magical Girls' costumes.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: The Magical Girls that are not horrendously deformed look like little Victorian dolls.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Sayano, which apparently Kii gave to her during their childhood.
- Gravity Sucks: one of the Mahou Shoujo specializes in drawing victims towards her. She also has an "inverted" twin that specializes in violently blasting victims away.
- Hidden Depths: Sayano, who was initially perceived as a bully but is in fact in love with Kii and was apparently only a bully because Tsukune forced her to in an attempt to draw Kii's attention to herself. In light of recent events there is gradually less and less evidence to disbelieve that claim, too.
- A lot of people, in fact, considering how much backstory starts getting revealed from the trip to the past and onwards.
- Implacable Man: Magical Girls are barely phased by being killed, as they regenerate too fast for it to be an effective tactic. If you break their wands, however...
- Kill It with Fire: the little dog of the second Mahou Shoujo is able to vomit powerful fireballs.
- Love Confession: Sayano to Kii.
- Magic Wand: The first Mahou Shoujo encountered has a very nasty-looking wand that looks more technological than actually magical. Has what seems to be a bundle of sticks of TNT arranged around it, which is pretty fitting considering that the thing is primarily used to make people and things go boom. Others also wield staves and wands that are no less horrifying. Apparently, wands are the source of Mahou Shoujo's powers and breaking a wand results in the permanent death of its Mahou Shoujo. Also, the ability of the Mahou Shoujos to raise the dead seems to be linked to the wands.
- Magical Girl: In a very horrific way!
- Mook Maker: the six-armed Mahou Shoujo is able to summon and even resurrect other Mahou Shoujos.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: one of the Mahou Shoujos has six arms. Four of them hold weapons that look like a cross between an axe and a scepter, and in the last two she holds a staff, which is presumably her "wand".
- Necromancer: the Mahou Shoujos have the ability to raise the dead, but apparently only through physical contact with their wands.
- Nigh Invulnerable: the Parasite Mahou Shoujo's skin is impenetrable. Her weak point is her eyes, but good luck hitting them, considering that if she blinks, it won't work. Made doubly hard since her hosts are not Nigh Invulnerable, and if you hit the host, you kill an innocent person.
- Ordinary Highschool Student: Before the Zombie Apocalypse, Kii led a rather dull life as a highschool freshman.
- Our Liches Are Different: The Magical Girls have distinctly lich-like abilities. A Magical Girl cannot be permanently killed unless its wand is destroyed (so the wand acts as a phylanctery of sorts). In addition, they are also necromancers.
- Parental Abandonment: Kii's parents have both committed suicide, his mother as a result of abuse from his father, and his father in his prison cell after getting caught committing robbery. The turmoil in his family is the reason why Kii just wants to have a normal boring life.
- Puppeteer Parasite: one of the Mahou Shoujos has this as her power. The people she controls have their physical strength enhanced dramatically. Since she takes control of the brain to do so, this Mahou Shoujo is able to speak and reason using the host's intelligence.
- The Reveal: When Kii travels to the past, he finds drawings of all the Magical Girls in young Tsukune's room.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Natsuki, the girl Kii has a crush on, dies in the first chapter.
- Stuff Blowing Up: if you get hit by the wand of the first Mahou Shoujo encountered, you will violently and messily explode.
- Time Travel: One of the Mahou Shoujos fires blasts that apparently rip through spacetime (or so Kii puts it), and those who get hit by them are suddenly sent back 10 years into the past, all the way back to the year 2002. Some try to get R&R from the situation and others explore their past childhood experiences. It's not long before the effect wears off and they go back to the present, though.
- Token Evil Teammate: Akuta.
- The Unfettered: Akuta finds himself liking what happened to the world after the Mahou Shoujo invasion, since without law and order, there is nothing to stop him from doing whatever he wants. That being mainly sexually molesting women.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Anyone gets killed by a magical girl gets reincarnated as a zombie.
- Zombie Gait: Averted. Those slain by Magical Girls can run and have a degree of Super Strength.