We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Manga: Mahou Shoujo of the End
A horrifying combination of Blackest Night
and Silent Hill
coupled together with the Magical Girl
Genre. Mahou Shoujo of the End
or Magical Girls of the End
is a horror manga written by Sato Kentaro in 2012, and licensed in the US as Magical Girl Apocalypse
The story revolves around Kii Kogami, who lives a dull high school life with his bullied childhood friend. One day, a monstrous magical girl appears and kills nearly everyone in the school
, turning their dead corpses into zombies.
With a few survivors throughout the city, Kogami escapes the school as the Mahou Shoujo and their undead minions take over the city.
Compare Puella Magi Madoka Magica
and Elfen Lied
for stories about as dark. The author, Sato Kentaro, has another manga, Mahou Shoujo Site
- Alien Sky: A giant pentagram appears in the sky as Kii and the survivors flee the school. It shatters, releasing hundreds of Magical Girls.
- Anyone Can Die: And they do. Horribly.
- Ax-Crazy: Akuta. He doesn't even care about everything that is happening.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: many of the Magical Girls have powers not typically related to magical girls (not to mention necromancy). The very first one immediately proceeds to blow up several people with a mere touch of her wand, and most others are no better: one causes gruesome deformities, at least one makes heads go boom, one has been seen spraying poison gas, one sends out razor waves and one is even capable of possession. There's also a One-Panel Wonder (if she can be called that...) MG that looks like a character from an 8-bit videogame who shoots a gun that rips the skin off of people.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Akuta is able to use Mahou Shoujo's wands against Mahou Shoujos to great effect. Nobody else has tried it, so it is unclear whether it is only him or whether anybody could do it. It might be because he has come in contact with a destroyed Mahou Shoujo's remains.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Beware Tsukune.
- Body Horror: In later chapters, one Magical Girl dressed like a nurse can be seen using her wand to switch people's limbs around. Several of her victims are seen laying on the ground because they are unable to move their deformed bodies, screaming for her to change them back.
- Bring My Brown Pants: In the first chapter, Tsukune wets herself after a magical girl massacres everyone inside the classroom except her and Kii.
- The Bullies: Sayano and Miki, whose first appearance in the story has them dunking Tsukune's head in a bucket of dirty mop water. Given what Kii finds out after traveling to the past, this may be an Invoked Trope on Tsukune's part...
- Catch Phrase: "Magical..." for Magical Girls.
- bordering on Pokémon Speak. only the Parasite Mahou Shoujo is capable of normal speak, by using her host's body.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Akuta the pervert cop, literally. He becomes instrumental in destroying the parasite Mahou Shoujo as he is the only one in the building who is actually good with a gun. He also becomes a major protagonist, if you can even call him that.
- Cross Over: a four-chapter one between MSOTE, Hakaiju and Versus Earth, all published in Shounen Champion. Murderous magical girls, Lovecraftian creatures and grotesque space aliens... Japan is pretty much screwed.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Akuta. A disgusting pervert and not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's a superb shot and becomes even more competent when he becomes able to use wands.
- Cute Mute: Himeji.
- Dysfunctional Family: Kii's family.
- Domestic Abuser: Kii's father
- Evil Costume Switch: The newly-risen zombies' clothes shift into black tatters very similar to the Magical Girls' costumes.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: The Magical Girls that are not horrendously deformed look like little Victorian dolls.
- Elite Mooks: The Magical Girls are by no means "mooks" even in and of themselves, but the Summoner Girl can upgrade them even further by means of her staff.
- Every Girl Is Cuter with Hair Decs: Sayano, which apparently Kii gave to her during their childhood.
- Flunky Boss: the six-armed Mahou Shoujo is able to summon and even resurrect other Mahou Shoujos.
- Gonk/Nonstandard Character Design: Akuta the policeman is more simply drawn/cartoonish than everyone else. Two otaku met by Kii back in 2002 are pretty Gonk-ish too.
- Gravity Sucks: one of the Mahou Shoujo specializes in drawing victims towards her. She also has an "inverted" twin that specializes in violently blasting victims away.
- Hidden Depths: Sayano, who was initially perceived as a bully but is in fact in love with Kii and was apparently only a bully because Tsukune forced her to in an attempt to draw Kii's attention to herself. In light of recent events there is gradually less and less evidence to disbelieve that claim, too.
- A lot of people, in fact, considering how much backstory starts getting revealed from the trip to the past and onwards.
- Possibly even Akuta.
- Implacable Man: Magical Girls are barely phased by being killed, as they regenerate too fast for it to be an effective tactic. If you break their wands, however...
- Kaiju: An enormous Mahou Shoujo that looks like an anime from the 60s, with an upside-down head, wielding a fountain pen, than can throw trucks and swat down helicopters like they're nothing. It also appears to grow larger.
- Kill It with Fire: the little dog of the second Mahou Shoujo is able to vomit powerful fireballs.
- Love Confession: Sayano to Kii.
- Magic Wand: The first Mahou Shoujo encountered has a very nasty-looking wand that looks more technological than actually magical. Has what seems to be a bundle of sticks of TNT arranged around it, which is pretty fitting considering that the thing is primarily used to make people and things go boom. Others also wield staves and wands that are no less horrifying. Apparently, wands are the source of Mahou Shoujo's powers and breaking a wand results in the permanent death of its Mahou Shoujo. Also, the ability of the Mahou Shoujos to raise the dead seems to be linked to the wands.
- Magical Girl: In a very horrific way!
- Mega Manning: Akuta can gain the power of any Magical Girl by taking their wands.
- Ms. Fanservice: Yoruka Hanzawa and her gigantic breasts. Akuta becomes completely obsessed with her, and with them.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: one of the Mahou Shoujos has six arms. Four of them hold weapons that look like a cross between an axe and a scepter, and in the last two she holds a staff, which is presumably her "wand". The main weapons are used for summoning Mahou Shoujos, while the staff empowers them.
- Necromancer: the Mahou Shoujos have the ability to raise the dead, but apparently only through physical contact with their wands.
- And then there's the Mahou Shoujo with the power to raise other Mahou Shoujos from the dead.
- Nigh Invulnerable: the Parasite Mahou Shoujo's skin is impenetrable. Her weak point is her eyes, but good luck hitting them, considering that if she blinks, it won't work. Made doubly hard since her hosts are not Nigh Invulnerable, and if you hit the host, you kill an innocent person.
- Off with His Head!: Miki gets her head punched off of her shoulders by a little girl possessed by the Parasite Mahou Shoujo. To add insult to injury, the head falls into a ramen bowl.
- Ordinary Highschool Student: Before the Zombie Apocalypse, Kii led a rather dull life as a highschool freshman.
- Our Liches Are Different: The Magical Girls have distinctly lich-like abilities. A Magical Girl cannot be permanently killed unless its wand is destroyed (so the wand acts as a phylanctery of sorts). In addition, they are also necromancers.
- Parental Abandonment: Kii's parents have both committed suicide, his mother as a result of abuse from his father, and his father in his prison cell after getting caught committing robbery. The turmoil in his family is the reason why Kii just wants to have a normal boring life.
- Puppeteer Parasite: one of the Mahou Shoujos has this as her power. The people she controls have their physical strength enhanced dramatically. Since she takes control of the brain to do so, this Mahou Shoujo is able to speak and reason using the host's intelligence.
- The Reveal: When Kii travels to the past, he finds drawings of all the Magical Girls in young Tsukune's room.
- Sacrificial Lamb: Natsuki, the girl Kii has a crush on, dies in the first chapter.
- Say It with Hearts: and stars, arrows, and other symbols. They're magical girls, after all.
- Shout-Out: a few, curiously not to other Zombie Apocalypse stories. Godzilla is name-dropped by Akuta when witnessing the devastation made by the giant Magical girl, and he also mentions John Titor when he, Kii and others travel back in time to 2002. During the time travel arc KyaryPamyuPamyu and AKB48 are also name-dropped, just to make sure that the characters are not in 2012 anymore.
- Stuff Blowing Up: if you get hit by the wand of the first Mahou Shoujo encountered, you will violently and messily explode.
- Time Travel: One of the Mahou Shoujos fires blasts that apparently rip through spacetime (or so Kii puts it), and those who get hit by them are suddenly sent back 10 years into the past, all the way back to the year 2002. Some try to get R&R from the situation and others explore their past childhood experiences. It's not long before the effect wears off and they go back to the present, though.
- Token Evil Teammate: Akuta.
- The Unfettered: Akuta finds himself liking what happened to the world after the Mahou Shoujo invasion, since without law and order, there is nothing to stop him from doing whatever he wants. That being mainly sexually molesting women.
- What Year Is This?: Kii asks this when teleported back to 2002.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: According to the color inserts, Tsukune has aqua hair.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Anyone gets killed by a magical girl gets reincarnated as a zombie.
- Zombie Gait: Averted. Those slain by Magical Girls can run and have a degree of Super Strength.