"That day, the human race remembered: the terror of being dominated by them, and the shame of being held captive in a birdcage."
For more than a hundred years, the last remnants of humanity have lived inside a fortified city designed to protect them from a powerful race of man-eating giants referred to as Titans. The two races have locked each other into a stalemate: the Titans cannot breach the walls of the city and humanity cannot make war with the Titans without disaster.
Those facts held true until the day humanity received its "grim reminder": a colossal Titan smashed a hole in the perimeter wall of the village of Zhiganshina, which allowed its smaller kin to wander inside and wreak havoc. Three children escaped from the ensuing massacre: Eren Yeager, an aggressive adolescent boy; Mikasa Ackerman, his quiet adoptive sister; and Armin Arlert, Eren's bookish best friend. The trio later decide to join the Survey Corps, a military branch dedicated to making excursions into the outside world to fight the Titans and research ways to defeat them once and for all — and Eren, with vengeful and murderous intent in his heart, vows to kill every last Titan on Earth.
Despite the action-y sounding premise of Attack on Titan
(and it does contain a great deal of action), author Hajime Isayama also weaves a tight story around its large cast of characters
, and the strange, apocalyptic world in which they find themselves. Titan
also revolves around the concept of failure: the humans repeatedly struggle to accomplish anything, often sacrifice their lives, and make major mistakes to have it all come to naught in the end
. Every so often, however, humanity's persistence, wits, and luck manages to pay off — and through their victories, a complex portrait of the world begins to form (one that reveals something more sinister to the weirder aspects of their world
primarily explores how people deal with trauma, survival, loss, and death... as they fight man-eating giants.
From its relatively modest beginning, the manga managed to become the 11th-highest seller of all time in 2011. After the premiere of the anime adaptation (which became exceptionally popular in its own right), sales of the manga boosted exponentially, which has made Titan
the most popular new anime/manga and surpassing many established franchises. The manga consistently sold in the top two every month and new volumes are being surpassed only by a certain best selling manga of all time
and still growing. The success of both anime and manga launched a franchise ranging from video games to light novels to fragrances and coffee mugs.
Plans arose for a live-action film adaptation planned for a 2014 or later release, but production appears to have gone on hold due to Creative Differences between the director and the screenwriter
(amongst other issues). The film has since resumed production for a 2015 release, with Bloody Monday
star Haruma Miura as Eren, model-turned-actress Kiko Mizuhara as Mikasa, Kanata Hongo as Armin, Satomi Ishihara as Hanji, Nanami Sakuraba as Sasha and Takahiro Miura as Jean. The first cast posters can be seen here
The anime adaptation
premiered on 5 April 2013
; Yasuko Kobayashi
served as head screenwriter and Hiroyuki Sawano
composed the series' music.
Viewers living in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland may watch the anime legally at Crunchyroll
; as of 30 October 2013, they can also read the manga on Crunchyroll
(which licensed the show for the United States) also streams the show, along the usual lines of subscribers getting it first and free viewers gaining the opportunity to watch it later. In Australia and New Zealand, Madman Entertainment
has the series available for viewing on Anime Lab
. In the USA, Toonami
began airing the dubbed version of Titan
as of 3 May 2014
. In Australia, SBS 2
began airing Titan
in the original Japanese with English subs as of 30 September 2014. And just in case you really don't like any of those options, there's always Netflix.Titan
has spawned numerous Spin Offs
, across multiple media formats, out of its once-meager success:
- Before The Fall: A Light Novel prequel series and manga adaptation that details the creation of the Maneuver Gear and the battles of one young survivor of a Titan attack. Satoshi Shiki now helms a manga adaptation of this story.
- A Choice with no Regrets: A Visual Novel and manga adaptation, written by Gan Sunaaku and illustrated by Hikaru Suruga; this prequel details Levi's recruitment into the Survey Corps.
- Lost in the Cruel World: A visual novel about Mikasa.
- Burning Brightly in the Forest of Night: A visual novel about Levi and Eren.
- Wall Sina, Goodbye: A visual novel about Annie.
- Attack! Titan Junior High: An on-going manga series by Saki Nakagawa and supervised by Hajime Isayama; a Spinoff Babies Slice of Life comedy, the story takes place in a Middle School AU.
- The Last Wings of Mankind: A Nintendo 3DS game based on the series.
- The Wings of Counterattack: A mobile/browser game.
- Spoof On Titan, a 4-Koma parody by hounori that flanderizes the characters' traits and various memes for comedy
- Attack on Avengers, a one-shot Intercontinuity Crossover with Marvel Comics which sees the Titans invading the Marvel Universe and battling The Avengers.
- Chibi Theater: Fly Cadets Fly!, a comedic series of shorts based on when the 104th Trainee Corps cadets, who are Super-Deformed, go through their training. A Running Gag occurs where the Colossal Titan shows up at the end of each episode to swallow the main characters, though they're perfectly fine the next day.
A fan-made tribute game
also exists, as does an individual trope page
for the game.
This series has both a Character Sheet
and a drinking game
Don't confuse Attack on Titan
with Giant Killing
or I Kill Giants
. Fans frequently shorten the Japanese title (Shingeki no Kyojin
, which means Advancing Giants
) to SNK, though the series has nothing to do with that SNK
. Speaking of confusing acronyms, this AOT is not to be confused with Age Of Time
.NOTE: Please do not read the spoilers if you've only watched the anime; from here on out, spoilers also include information about the manga.
On that day, TV Tropes received a grim reminder: we lived in fear of the Tropes and were disgraced to live in these cages we called folders.
O mein Freund! Jetzt hier ist ein Sieg. Dies ist die erste Gloria. O mein Freund! Feiern wir diesen Sieg für den nächsten Kampf!Translation