How can a creation be called a "success"? Different people have different opinions, but in general, they can be split off into:
- Commercial success: It manages to at least cover up the production costs, if not more.
- Critical success: Critics deem the work as great.
- Fan success: The fans like the work.
- Demographic success: it manages to succeed in pleasing the target demographic.
- Outer demographic success: it manages to please people outside of the demographic.
- Multiple demographic success: If the work manages both of the above.
And, as one saying puts it, "you can't please everyone". Same goes with doing any kind of creation.
So naturally, any kind of creations can succeed in one place, but become a flop in another.