open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Pokémon is one show that likes using this trope, mainly for Black Comedy and Rule of Funny purposes.
- In Hentai Kamen, the titular hero's mankini is his weapon.
- One of Rock Lee's signature moves in Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth, as a result of him trying to copy Naruto's Sexy Jutsu.
- The "Capitalist Pig" bondage slave in Detroit Metal City is a portly middle-aged man in a bikini.
Comics — Books
- Deadpool has worn a bikini at least once. When informed he has visitors offering mercenary work and advised that he change, he puts on his weapons, and greets them still wearing the bikini.
- Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless shows that a mummy ought to be dressed in bandages from head to toe, a woman can wear just a skimpy thong bikini at the beach. The final panel, under the caption, "However, a mummy should never wear a bikini," shows the mummy wearing a bikini over bandages, thinking, "Looking good..."
- In a New Mutants Beach Episode, Warlock, due to his unfamiliarity with human society, shows up in a bikini. (He later changes into a speedo.)
Films — Live-Action
- Borat is quite possibly one of the more famous examples. The neon green mankini that Sacha Baron Cohen wears in the film has become popular on beaches.
- This was a plot point in Furry Vengeance.
- Not shown, but referenced in Remember the Titans: In an effort to increase team cohesion, the coaches pair up the white players and the black players and force them to learn things about their partner. One player reveals that his partner wears leopard-print bikini underwear.
- In Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, on the beach of Doctor Evil's island lair, Felicity walks ashore in a white bikini recalling Ursula Andress in Dr. No — then so does Austin.
- One appears briefly in The Den.
- In one sketch on The Amanda Show, Drake loses a bet to Amanda and has to run down the street in a string bikini.
- Monty Python's Flying Circus was the earliest example of this; with John Cleese sometimes wearing one for Rule of Funny purposes.
- Medium also did this in the notorious episode "Will the Real Fred Rovick Stand Up?" which featured Diedrich Bader as the aforementioned Fred Rovick, wearing a bikini.
- Hollyoaks is also prone to this trope as well, and will be doing so more over 2011.
- Mankini is a recurring character on The Soup played by Nic DeLeo. He's mostly a Butt-Monkey.
- iCarly: "Bikini Dog Food Fight"
- In one episode of MythBusters, a ballistics gel dummy had to be fitted with an underwire bra for a myth. Turned out Tory was close to the right size for it....
- Yoshiki Hayashi did this for both a filmed apology for canceling an event in the 90s and for promotional photos and the album cover of the Jealousy album. And yes, he filled out the black lace very well.
- There was plenty of discussion about this on The Other Wiki. Consensus was: it's unencyclopedic.
- Billis in the "Honey Bun" number from South Pacific is generally dressed in a coconut-shell bikini top and a grass skirt.
- La-Mulana: The prize for beating Hell Temple is an all-too-revealing shot of Lemeza wearing a skimpy women's swimsuit.
- Dead Rising
- While you (unfortunately?) never see it, in Rune Factory 3 when you speak to Evelyn on the first day of summer she mentions that by the end of the day she'll get someone to wear a bikini that she's made of turnip. Just so there's no confusion, she adds that by 'someone' she means Gaius. Gaius is the male dwarf.
- One of the many extra scenes in Persona 4: Golden is a Beach Episode of sorts. Kanji shows up in a tiny speedo and is humiliated since the other guys are all wearing trunks. He first censors himself with Teddie, and then ends up wearing a bikini made of seaweed.
- Referenced in Disgaea 5 in the description for the Bikini armor. (Like any piece of armor in the game, it doesn't provide a visual change)
- The Simpsons: Homer Simpson, trying to "Think Unsexy Thoughts" while in an elevator with an attractive coworker, pictures fat drunken slob Barney Gumbel in a bikini.
- South Park: The Movie Midget in a Bikini is one of the news reporters.
- Midget in a Bikini also appears in the series, his first appearance was in "Pinkeye".
- Beavis And Butthead in the "Babes R Us" episode.
- I Am Weasel once invented a "motorbikini" and tried it.
- It almost happened in Regular Show in "The Unicorns have got to go" when Rigby sees one in a recliner and claims the Unicorns got him a lady, to which Mordecai replies, "That's not a lady." But due to Executive Meddling, the man in a bikini got replaced with a burned-out biker with long hair in a recliner who looks like Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin).
- An episode of Clarence has the titular character trying on clothes at the thrift store as he prepares for a date, one of which is a bikini.
- Actor Jim Carrey wearing then-girlfriend Jenny McCarthy's suit at the beach. Pictures.
- Truth in Television: male bikini-wearing appears to be a fairly common thing. It is not predominantly associated with gay men, despite stereotypes. Youths will do this during their college/university years as a joke.
- Note that the word "bikini" refers to the bottoms as well as the top. Any pair of shorts that bares the upper thighs is technically called "bikini briefs", and until about the 1980s it was not considered shameful for American men to wear them while swimming.
- Russell Brand