open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Clamp School Detectives has Suoh Takamura, an elementary school age martial arts expert with a 3rd dan black belt in Karate, Judo, Aikido, and Kendo. He is also the descendant of a Japanese ninja clan.
- Dragon Ball - Goku, Krillin and Chichi
- Dragon Ball Z - Gohan in the first few seasons, later Goten
- Fullmetal Alchemist - May Chang
- Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple - A number of characters, most notably the titular Kenichi Shirahama.
- Elementary-school aged Chikage Kushinada is easily the youngest fighting character.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid - As this is essentially a Fighting Series with Magical Girls, several characters fall under this, including the main character Vivio and her main rival Einhart.
- Mahou Sensei Negima! - Many of the major characters would qualify, particularly Ku Fei. Negi Springfield combines Child Mage with this trope to become a Child Kung-Fu Wizard.
- Ouran High School Host Club - Mitsukuni "Hani (Honey)" Haninozuka. In a subversion, he's already 17/18 years old, though he's Older Than They Look as well.
- Ranma ½ - Almost the entire teenage cast, except the older two Tendo sisters
- Tekken Chinmi - The titular young boy Chinmi trains to be a world class kung fu master.
- Tiger & Bunny - Pao-Lin Huang aka Dragon Kid uses kung fu against criminals at least as much as she uses her lightning powers.
- Muteki Kanban Musume - Deconstructed with protagonist Miki and The Rival Megumi, they were Kung-Fu Kids in their childhood, and at their 20's they are One of the Kung Fu Kids.
- Batgirl - The Cassandra Cain Batgirl is a teenager trained to be an assassin, but whose empathy for human beings prevents her from ever actually going lethal.
- Legion of Super-Heroes - Karate Kid (Val Armorr) is a master of every form of martial arts to have been developed by the 31st century
- Teen Titans - Robin is a Badass Normal whose skill in martial arts allows him to keep up with his superpowered teammates.
- Alex Rider - Alex has a black belt in karate, which alone is not enough to qualify for this trope, however he regularly uses his martial arts skills during his spy missions.
- The Black Belt Club - A children's book series about four young martial artists who go on secret missions.
- CHERUB - All CHERUB agents train in advanced martial arts, however Bruce Norris is particularly noted for his martial arts talent.
Live Action TV
- Kung Fu Kid - A 1987 Sega Master System video game about a kid that uses his knowledge of kung fu to fight enemies.
- How I Killed Your Master - The stories with the younger versons of the main character are something of a deconstruction, since he still has to spend a great deal running away or being rescued. Then again some of the rescuers count as this trope as well.
- The Bully's Bully - The unnamed heroine appears to be an example although this is not yet canon.
- The Life and Times of Juniper Lee
- Shuriken School - Eizan Kaburagi, Jimmy B. and Okuni Dohan
- Xiaolin Showdown - Though the protagonist ages are never give they don't seem to be older than 14
- Avatar: The Last Airbender - the young heroes (and villains), though proficiency in kung fu is pretty common in that world regardless of age.
- Toph Beifong was born blind and learned her own (vastly superior) earthbending without her parents ever finding out. Not only that, but she invented- invented - a brand new form of bending thought to be impossible (metalbending)... at twelve years old.
- A straighter example of this trope is present in the Sequel Series The Legend of Korra. Korra, the new Avatar, first started earthbending when she was five years old, something completely unheard of in the history of the Avatar. Even Aang, the youngest Avatar to ever master all four elements, didn't start learning his second element until he was twelve; and most Avatars don't even find out their identity until they turn sixteen.
- Referenced by name in the Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness episode "The Kung Fu Kid", starring Peng the young snow leopard...who although he claims to have had no formal kung fu training and is just a potter, is able to go toe-to-toe with Po, Temutai, and even Shifu and the Furious Five while under More Than Mind Control. Justified by it being In the Blood.