Webcomic: The Bully's Bully
The Bully's Bully is a textless web comic by Courtney Huddleston and James Taylor which began on 19 December 2012 and updates on Monday and Wednesday each week. According to a message by Courtney in the story comments, each story will begin with a Dream Sequence.Using pictures alone, the comic tells short stories about an unnamed young heroine (dubbed BB by the comic's fans) who attempts to stop bullies from hurting the helpless.From the first story, what we know about BB is that she has a happy home life, owns a devoted cat (which behaves more like a dog by following BB around), she attempts to avoid violence when possible and she uses the minimum violence possible when forced to fight. BB seems to be a good fighter when she does fight.There are indications that BB has martial arts training but this is not canon as at this writing. BB has a form of extrasensory perception which one fan has dubbed "Empathic Precognition", i.e. she feels the pain of the bullied, before it actually happens. She also seems to know exactly where the bullying is about to happen, so she can arrive in time to do something about it.It can be assumed that BB's Empathic Precognition is automatically limited in range to situations which are physically close enough for her to intervene in, although again, this is not yet canon.BB would prefer to win the bully over rather than simply beat the snot out of him. So far, this has worked exactly once. How well this goes in the majority of cases remains to be seen although as of story #4, BB has learned a new skill which could be called Empathic Projection. She can by physical touch force a bully to feel empathy with his or her victim. The Bully's Bully lasted for six issues, ending in 2015.The Bully's Bully Forum was started by a long-time reader of the web comic as an alternative to using the comment section of the comic. The forum is not endorsed or run by the comic's authors.
The Bully's Bully contains examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: In most cases, adults seem to ignore the bullying.
- Alliterative Title: The Bully's Bully
- ...And That Little Girl Was Me: An old man tells BB a story of a boy who had been bullied until a girl stood up for him. After the story , we learn that the man was one of the bullies.
- Badass Normal: BB seems to be this, overlapping with Cute Bruiser.
- Bully Hunter: The heroine. She always tries to stop violence with non-violent means, but when that fails, she's not afraid to kick serious ass if needs be.
- Cane Fu: An old man overpowers a bully with this.
- Captain Oblivious: Most of the adults we see ignore the bullying.
- Cursed with Awesome: BB feels the pain of bullying victims, in fact when it first happens it's crippling, and uses it to know when to react. Later she gains the ability to inflict the pain victims feel on bullies.
- Cute Bruiser: BB seems to be this, overlapping with Badass Normal.
- Dream Sequence: Each story begins with one of these, generally of BB dreaming about stopping bullies.
- Driven to Suicide: Happens to one of BB's friends in story 5. Depicted as the tragedy it would be in real life.
- Emotion Bomb: Later issues show BB has this ability, using it in lieu of martial arts and forcing bullies to experience what she and the victims she protects do, reducing them to tears.
- Facial Dialogue: Enforced by the textless format.
- Good Is Not Soft: BB sleeps like a baby dreaming of beating up on bullies, is so nice and kind she would make Paragon Shepard envious, makes every bid to reason with The Sociopath, fights only when it's kill or be killed, Save the Villain repeatedly, and when bullying results in suicide inflicts Mind Rape.
- Helping Granny Cross the Street: Played straight when BB is shown doing this, to show the protagonist's kindness.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: The heroine has an adorable little cat as her companion.
- Martial Pacifist: The heroine attempts to stop violence with nonviolent means before resorting to violence.
- Meaningful Look: For the same reason as Facial Dialogue.
- No Name Given: None of the characters have been given "canon" names.
- Psychic Children: BB is able to sense bullying at a distance before it happens and as of story #4 is capable of forcibly projecting empathy onto a bully.
- Silence Is Golden: The entire comic is presented without any sounds or dialogue.
- Sixth Sense: BB seems to have the ability to sense the pain of the bullied before it happens, dubbed Empathic Precognition by a fan.
- The Bully: The bullies the heroine tries to stop.
- The Hero: The unnamed little girl who is the heroine of the story.
- The Sociopath: The first bully gleefully tried to kill a basket of puppies and the girl's cat, and could have killed her too.
- Tranquil Fury: How BB behaves when deciding how to deal with the first bully we see. She even gives us the main image on the trope's page.