Funny Terrain Cross Section
Stock Femur Bone or fully articulated skeletons), aliens, treasures or crazy objects scattered in for the sake of fun. Somewhat related to Funny Background Event.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Carnival Phantasm: During Shiki's date plan in episode 4.
- Doujin Work: Lots of random stuff around the subway tunnels.
- Pani Poni Dash!: From time to time we get to see anthill-like underground galleries◊ with pop-culture references, and Mazinger Z's head looming under the school pool.
- In one issue of Ryan North's Adventure Time comic, a cutaway of the underground includes a fossilized T. rex about to stomp on a house.
- Sergio AragonÚs throws around buried items in a lot of his art.
- Lumberjanes: When the girls slide down the underground tunnel in the second issue, all sorts of things can be seen buried in the surrounding soil, including bones, a mole, a treasure chest, and a worryingly large tooth.
- In a The Smurfs gag, two Smurfs are waiting for a seed to germinate. When they give up, it's shown that underneath them, the seed grew a large root so the tree started to grow behind them.
- A Monty Python skit where a buried casket is shown next to multiple other buried caskets in a cemetery who all form a bickering community of the dead.
- xkcd 1110: "Click and drag". The last panel features a GIGANTIC map with lots of funny scenes including a veritable labyrinth underground. Someone figured out that if it were printable at screen scale it would be over a hundred feet long.
- In this Sandra and Woo
- The Strong Bad E-mail "buried", where Strong Bad believes there's an ancient civilization beneath Strong Badia and includes things like a coffin labeled "Rich" and a skeleton resembling the "abandoned" character Homeschool Winner.
- As seen in The Simpsons
- Filmation's Adventures of Superboy shorts, which were part of The New Adventures of Superman show. In one episode Superboy travels underground and the audience sees dinosaur skeletons in cross section.
- Used several times in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- Stock Femur Bones can be seen in the Diamond Dogs' tunnels in the episode "A Dog and Pony Show", as well as a complete ribcage when Spike uses his sapphire to "fish" for the Diamond dogs.
- The hole the Cutie Mark Crusaders dug to trap Big Mac in "Hearts and Hooves Day" was surrounded by a Stock Femur Bone, a horse-shoe and a car tire.
- In "Bats!", when Pinkie Pie starts digging into the ground to escape Flutterbat, there's a Stock Femur Bone and a myriad of gemstones.
- Teen Titans Go!: In the episode "Legendary Sandwich", the map to the King's Lettuce is has a dinosaur skeleton and Stock Femur Bones. And when Beast Boy is digging through the earth looking for it, there's a human skeleton running away from a T. rex skeleton.
- The Magic School Bus Explores Inside the Earth had the bus drill from one area to another using these as loading screens.
- XGen Studio's Web Game Mother Load mostly takes place below the surface of Mars. Underground objects include religious artifacts, dinosaur bones, Martian skeletons and treasure chests.
- Plants vs. Zombies uses this as an easter egg and achievements screen. If one were to scroll down far enough, they would not only see references to other games Pop Cap Entertainment made (Like BeJeweled and Peggle), but it will eventually culminate in an upside-down picture of zombies in China.
- In Professor Layton game Last Spectre, of all places, the top screen map shows this when in the Black Market.
- The Cave has all sorts of items embedded in the surrounding rock, usually relating to the theme of the current cave section.