Video Game: Motherload
Motherload is a flash game developed by XGen Studios in 2004. The game takes place on Mars sometime in the future in a small martian mining outpost. The player controls a lone mining pod and is tasked to drill underneath the planet's surface in search of valuable ores. The gameplay is based on the mechanics of Dig Dug, except that there are no Pookas and Fygars to be seen under the surface—the entire challenge of the game comes solely from navigating the hazardous Martian sub terrain for ore and hauling it to the surface alive with the mining pod intact and without running out of fuel. As the miner reaches deeper under the Martian surface, various clues and transmissions begin to hint at something larger and more sinister going on, of which the answer seems to be hidden even deeper under the planet.Despite its infamously random Gainax Ending of sorts, Motherload is easily one of XGen's most popular, if not their most popular game to date. Another game based on the original, Super Motherload, was recently announced and will be available upon the release of the Playstation 4.
This video game provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: Mr. Natas, at first, who offers you money, congratulations, advice and safety warnings.
- Artistic License – Astronomy: Mars doesn't have one big moon. It has two tiny ones.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: Both forms of Mr. Natas.
- Awesome but Impractical
- Flying mining machines!
- A super-fast drill made of gold? Really?
- Cane Fu: Mr. Natas does this in his first form.
- Collision Damage
- Critical Annoyance: When the fuel tank gets close to empty, it starts beeping. When it reaches critical levels, the beeps happen so rapidly it's more like one long high-pitched note.
- Drill Tank: The drill can't damage the boss, ironically enough.
- Dug Too Deep
- Evil Is HammyMr. Natas: HAHAHA!! YOU FOOL!!! SEE YOU IN HELL!!!
- Fast Tunnelling: 120 ft per second for the amazonite drill.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: Other than the name, there is no clue.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Mr. Natas' provision of repair nanobots and explosives eventually led to his defeat.
- Interface Spoiler: Inventory screen shows ore all the way up to Amazonium.
- One-Winged Angel: Mr. Natas' second form, which looks vaguely like a giant mechanical demonic tiger standing on two feet.
- Readings Are Off the Scale: The meter starts to display as ?XXXXX with the Xs being random, rapidly flashing numbers after reaching -5800ft. On the boss level, it reads -66666ft.
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Mr. Natas' true form. Heck, he wears red and black and has RED EYES in his human form!
- Retirony: The friendly veteran miner who is the only other worker left on Mars dies trapped underground after mentioning that he is a few days from retirement.
- Sdrawkcab Alias: Mr. Natas.
- Serial Escalation: There are 10 kinds of ores, from ironium ($30) to amazonite ($500,000).
- Splash Damage Abuse: Mr. Natas' second form's claw attack can hit through the ceiling of the boss level.
- Stealth Pun: The final boss is...well, your boss.
- Stuff Blowing Up: The dynamite and the more powerful plastic explosives. Around -1000ft rocks that cannot be dug into appears, and damaging lava pockets show up around -3000ft. Both must be dealt with explosives (because the best way to get rid of lava is to blow it up). Around -5000ft invisible natural gas pockets may blow everything next to you up like dynamite but also causes heavy damage, and the boss can only be defeated with explosives.