"My advice would be to bring a friend that has your basic characteristics, but is slightly less attractive."
— Dan Arieli gives dating tips in Predictably Irrational
A character that exists to provide a flattering contrast to the audience by being worse than the audience in some specific respect.
This trope exists on a sliding scale of scorn; at one end the character simply exists as a flattering contrast to the audience (the Idiot Hero
often fits here). At this end of the spectrum, the audience focuses on the "if this
character can do x, then I certainly can do x!"
On the other end of scorn scale is the harder version, where a character that is made pathetic so the audience can feel better about themselves (via Schadenfreude
). The Ditz
, a very common trope in Sitcoms
, is this (but Played for Laughs
Arguably an Expectation Lowerer
is an Inversion
of Escapist Character
; Escapist Characters allow you to feel good by giving you an Audience Surrogate
that you can experience awesomeness through. An Expectation Lowerer makes you feel good in the exact opposite way; you cannot
identify with this character and this character, in at least one respect, is worse than you.
Not to be confused with This Loser Is You
; where a character you identify with
is the character that sucks. This Loser Is You
basically flings the audience's faults back into their face whereas an Expectation Lowerer
allows them to distance themselves from their faults.
Compare-Contrast the Mary Sue
; a character who (like the Expectation Lowerer
) the audience does not
identify with, but due to the character's strengths
rather than weaknesses
Possibly related to Friedrich Nietzsche
and his concept of "Pathos Of Distance" (where one casts that which one does not
identify with as the morally wrong).
open/close all folders
- Friedrich Nietzsche and his aforementioned concept of the "pathos of distance" is arguably related to this. Nietzsche argued that moral concepts came about because societies/groups/cliques defined themselves (and a list of traits they allegedly embodied) as "the good" and hence "the unlike us" became "the bad."
- St Thomas Aquinas believed that the righteous in Heaven will be able to observe the torments of the wicked in Hell; the better to enjoy their blessedness. This is probably the harshest demonstration of the second kind of Expectation Lowerer, with gloating and schadenfreude on a celestial level.
Live Action Television
- This, mixed with Bile Fascination, drives sites like Encyclopedia Dramatica and People of Walmart (among many, many others).
- Barney Gumble from The Simpsons, is meant to be even more of a Straw Loser than Homer is. Subverted in that Barney makes an effort to get clean and sober (although he does fall Off The Wagon every now and again.) He's been Out of Focus in more recent seasons, because with his recovery efforts, he does not fulfill his Expectation Lowerer role anymore.
- Carl of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Fat, balding, ugly, hairy, a slob, a perverted sleezeball, and beyond.
- SpongeBob SquarePants is not the brightest bulb in the circuit by any means, but compared to Patrick, he looks like a genius.