Primary Stylistic Influences:
Secondary Stylistic Influences:
"Somewhere on the back of the Miley Cyrus tour bus the guys in Metro Station are thanking their lucky stars that bands like Brokencyde came along. The crunkcore wave is to dance pop what 9/11 was to Gary Condit and his missing intern."
(also known as screamo crunk
and crunk punk
) is a fusion genre that combines second-wave screamo
with commercial hip hop
, especially Southern Rap
, and/or electropop
. The blend of screamo/metalcore and hip hop/electropop comes in varying degrees; for example, Hollywood Undead
utilize all traditional "core" instrumentation (guitars, bass and live drums), while BrokeNCYDE
and Dot Dot Curve only use synthesizers and drum machines; the only overt "'core" element of their music is the screaming
. In fact, some bands that are nigh universally associated with crunkcore aren't overtly crunk or
core, like 3OH!3 and Millionaires. Others, like Breathe Carolina and Blood On the Dance Floor, are clearly 'core-influenced but not remotely hip hoppish. Regardless, the crunkcore trend and bands associated with it are characterized by hedonistic party lyrics, flamboyant clothing and vocals that range from rapping and screaming to autotuned clean vocals.
The stylistic origins of crunkcore are blurry; in the late 2000s, the trend came out of nowhere and took Myspace
music culture by storm, seemingly overnight. In the mid 2000s, artists slowly but surely began to bridge the gap between hip hop/rap and "emocore", a curious mash-up — for example, rapper P.O.S. sampled Underoath and Jay-Z
collaborated with Fall Out Boy
. Formed in 2005, Hollywood Undead
are generally considered an early juggernaut for crunkcore; their major label debut Swan Songs
, along with the compilation album Punk Goes Crunk
and 3OH!3's single "Don't Trust Me", helped catapult crunkcore into mainstream attention.
The genre's name is somewhat of a misnomer, as the music's hip hop elements are usually more in the vein of Lil Wayne
than Lil Jon
. However, crunk artist E-40 has collaborated with Brokencyde
and Lil Jon
once performed with 3OH!3 during one of their concerts.
Should not be confused with the separate but somewhat related genre electronicore
, which is essentially metalcore and post-hardcore with electronic elements
Bands associated with crunkcore include:
For the sake of this article, "screamo" will remain synonymous with "mid-00's post-hardcore/melodic metalcore" here and "emo" with "music associated with the emo/scene trend".
Let's not contest how authentically emo or screamo any of the bands mentioned here are; it's just a hassle.
Tropes associated with Crunkcore:
- Christian Rock: Family Force 5.
- Deader Than Disco: Of the groups even still getting attention:
- Hollywood Undead had basically dropped the style before their first album even came out, going more for a heavier Rap Rock sound.
- I See Stars moved to a mix of dubstep and Metalcore.
- Falling in Reverse are dropping the gimmick again for their third album (all the rap will be relegated to Ronnie's solo work).
- Blood on the Dance Floor will never actually get any mainstream attention because half of the people who ever toured with them have accused Davhie Vanity of sleeping with teenage girls.
- Breathe Carolina went onto producing straight EDM.
- Emo Teen: Members of crunkcore bands are often self-identified "scene kids", a youth subculture closely related to emo. However, crunkcore kids tend to eschew the darkness and wangst of emo in favor of flamboyant fashion and party-hardy hedonism.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Enter Shikari have dabbled in crunkcore from time to time, and when they do, are the only members of this group to get critical acclaim and respect, although Hollywood Undead also gets some positive attention.
- Girl Group: Millionaires.
- Guilty Pleasure: Try to find someone who enjoys the genre. Even those who like it will have a hard time coming up with reasons why.
- Intercourse with You: The subject of many if not most crunkcore songs.
- Neologism: Would you believe the word "Crunk" was coined by Conan O'Brien?
- Public Medium Ignorance: In most people's eyes, crunkcore is generally limited to 3OH!3, Brokencyde and Hollywood Undead.
- Snark Bait/Internet Backdraft: Let's just say, if you had a dollar for every person who has criticized this genre, you'd live in wealth and luxury for the rest of your life.
- Trope Codifier: BrokeNCYDE.