""It's like if two metrosexual rapists starred in A Night at the Roxbury."A band from New Mexico, their style incorporates elements of Crunk rap, Electronica and Screamo. One of the members controls the lights and fog machine. One is described as being in charge of "Lyrixxx/Screams/Gangster Raps." This could tell you everything you need to know, but it doesn't.Broken CYDE are generally regarded as the main band of the (relatively recent) genre of Crunkcore; if you've heard a crunkcore band, chances are it's these guys. They have one of the strongest Hatedoms in music today, but they also have a large fanbase, which sets the stage for quite a few flame wars.The band was formed in 2006 by members Se7en and Mikl. They apparently named the band "Brokencyde" after coming up with an idea that the band's music was "fundamentally broken inside". They were later joined by members Phat-J and Antz. In 2008, they released their BC13 EP, and in 2009 they released their debut album, I'm Not a Fan...But the Kids Like It!, which was universally panned by critics (as well as the band's Hatedom, which is often said to be larger than their actual fandom).
- Se7en - screams, rapping
- Mikl - clean vocals
- Phat J - synths, guitars, beats, backing vocals
- Antz - beats, fog machine, lights, backing vocals
- several EPs and mixtapes
- I'm Not a Fan...But the Kids Like It!, 2009
- Will Never Die, 2010
- Guilty Pleasure, 2011
Brokencyde provide examples of:
- Artifact Title: The band's name, which means "broken inside", is a remnant from their more pensive beginnings.
- Camp Straight
- Crunkcore: Trope Maker and Genre-Killer, though your mileage could vary.
- Distaff Counterpart: To crunkcore Girl Group Millionaires. They're actually friends with each other and have toured together on several occasions as well.
- Emo Teen: Earlier days anyway. But for the most part, they lean towards the "Scene" fashion, still keeping the "emo swoop" bangs, piercings and tattoos, while wearing bright and fashionable kinds of clothes.
- Fight Fur Your Right To Party: The band's sort-of mascot Bree-Bree, who appears in the videos as someone in a pig fursuit. There was also a bear in the "Teach Me How to Scream" video.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: According to "Freaxxx" (but don't get the wrong idea: these gentlemen assure us that they don't waste time with lesbians).
- Hollywood Pudgy: Phat J is only fat compared to the rest of them.
- Indecisive Parody: They have claimed Parody Retcon in the past but now insist that they're totally serious about what they do.
- Add to the self awareness they have about their divisiveness and things just get even more confusing.
- Lampshade Hanging: The name of their first album (well, the first one that counts) is I'm Not a Fan, But the Kids Like It! And then there's "Guilty Pleasure"...
- The Load: Antz is the band's third backup vocalist, second beat maker and is also credited with, erm, working the fog machine and lights.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly
- Old Shame: They regard their 2007 release "The Broken" as this.
- Parody Retcon: Most people laugh when they hear Broke NCYDE started off their career as serious artists. But their first album, The Broken, is an entirely serious affair. Needless to say, that album is so hated, even Broke NCYDE's fans think it's utter garbage.
- Trope Maker and Trope Codifier: For crunkcore.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: One of their most popular songs is called "FreaXx".
- The band's name and the names of its members also count.