open/close all folders
Films — Animated
Films — Live-Action
- Alive has two of the survivors crossing the Andes mountains in search of rescue after it's clear that no one is coming for them.
- Seven Samurai has a couple of farmers go to a city in order to enlist help from masterless samurai. Because they're poor, the elder advises them to find "hungry samurai", and eventually they do.
- In With Fire and Sword, the first book of the Sienkiewicz Trilogy, two main characters end up on a virtual suicide mission to get through enemy lines in order to summon the Polish army to help their position under siege.
- In the Knight and Rogue Series when Michael and Fisk realize there's no way the two of them will be able to escape capture by Ceciel's guards Michael makes himself the most noticible thing imaginable after giving Fisk the orders to run for it and let someone know he's been abducted.
- In This Rough Magic, second novel of the The Heirs of Alexandria series, Benito slips out of the impenetrable fortress of Corfu, past the Hungarian siege lines, and all the way north to Venice to summon help. Then back south and past the siege and into the impenetrable fortress again to tell them help is on the way. Then back out again...
- Happens in Warrior Cats. In Dawn of the Clans: The First Battle, Clear Sky and his cats trap Thunder, Gray Wing, Tall Shadow, and Jackdaw's Cry on top of the Great Rock at the Four Trees. Thunder manages to escape, and has to get back to the Moor Group so that he can bring cats back to save the other three. This involves a harrowing Chase Scene.
- In This Immortal, when Conrad and Hasan are stuck in a Hot Spot while tied to stone pillars with no way to free themselves, Conrad manages to talk his dog Bortan into going and fetching help. Or at least he hopes the dog understood him.
Live Action TV
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion lets you do this in an optional quest; the city of Bruma is under attack by an enormous Oblivion Gate, and you can request help from the other cities in the province (which they'll send, but only after you close the gates threatening them, first).
- Mass Effect 3 is pretty much Bring Help Back: The Game. You spend much of the game rallying any help you can think of and also solving several conflicts along the way to free up the conflicting parties' war resources, so you can take back Earth from the Reapers.
- Partly the case in Dragon Age: Origins, although there's no one particularly waiting for you to bring allies, as the original defenders are dead, and no one trusts the Grey Wardens anymore thanks to Loghain. Much of the game, however, does revolve around going around Ferelden and securing help, including Dalish elves (or werewolves), dwarves, (possibly) golems, magi (or templars), etc. Naturally, these will agree to send help only if you help them first. Oh, and you still have to convince the Fereldens to trust you again, so that the Ferelden army can join you.
- Basically the goal of every playable character in season one of Telltale's Game of Thrones. House Forrester is on the verge of war with House Whitehill, and after Lord Forrester is slaughtered at the Red Wedding his squire and children desperately try to get help wherever they can. His squire Gared joined the Night's Watch in an attempt to find a legendary grove said to hold the secret to saving their house, his eldest son Rodrick attempts to marry into a stronger house to gain an army while dealing with Whitehill occupation at home, his eldest daughter serves as Queen Margaery's handmaiden and attempts to enlist the aid of the Tyrells and Lannisters, and his second son Asher attempts to return with an army after having been exiled.
- The only way to unlock the Golden Ending of A Dance with Rogues is to give your word to bring back help to the Delberg Castle, besieged by the orcs in the endgame, and make good on that promise.
- The objective of most of your journey in Metro 2033 is to travel through dangerous tunnels to reach the largest station in the metro in order to ask the Rangers for help against the mysterious Dark Ones that threaten your small home station. They aren't willing to help as much as you hoped, though.
- Drow Tales has a villainous version. As of the Time Skip, the ruling clan of Chel'el'sussoloth, the Sharen, has angered so many people and built up so many enemies, that they are being overwhelmed by the Sarghress and Sullisin'rune clans. In order to preserve their crumbling empire, Zala'ess Vel'Sharen goes on a diplomatic mission to the city of Nuqrah'shareh in hopes of recruiting like-minded Blue Bloods with promises of conquest. Her mission is ultimately a success, and picks up enough allies to completely turn the tables on the rebels, just as her sister, Sarv'swati, is about to face her Last Stand.
- During the siege of the Alamo, a number of couriers were sent out of the fort to bring back reinforcements. They didn't make it back in time.
- Before the Battle of Marathon against the invading Persians, Athens sent Pheidippides, their fastest runner, to Sparta for reinforcements, a considerable distance which he covered in two days, allegedly with a time out to stop and chat with the terrifying wilderness god Pan. The Spartans didn't actually show up in time for the battle, so the Athenians defeated the Persian force with the help of only the tiny city of Plataia (and Pan, apparently.) An embroidered account claims that Pheidippides subsequently ran from Marathon to Athens and expired with the news of the victory on his lips, which probably apocryphal story eventually gave us the modern English word "marathon" in the sense of 'long-distance run'.
- The Alive example was a dramatization of a true story that occurred in 1972.
- The Donner Party, snowbound in the Sierra Nevadas, running out of food and losing people to malnutrition, sent a group called the Forlorn Hope to Sutter's Fort in the Sacramento Valley to seek help. The 100-mile trek... did not go well. It's debated among historians how much the Donner Party really did resort to cannibalism and how much was sensationalized in the newspapers, but the Forlorn Hope is generally agreed to have done it.