Literature / Aivoton Aikamatka
(Finnish for 'Brainless Time Travel') http://aivotonaikamatka.blogspot.com/
is a Finnish web novel written by web author Rupert F
. The first seven parts of the series were originally released on DeviantArt
in 2009, but in August 2011 the series was started again in Blogger
The story in a nutshell: 12 year old Mike Thurson is one fateful night kidnapped by ferocious Space Pirates
for unknown reasons and taken to the 2500's
. There (or then?)
he and the privateers quickly get tangled into a mess concerning a valuable artifact
. Hilarity Ensues
This series provides examples of:
- Early-Bird Cameo: Dr. Ego appeared in deviantArt Christmas Special meme a good year before his actual introduction in-story.
- Eyepatch of Power: Sam, who lost in a duel and apparently popped an eye out of his head out of pure shame.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Mike.
- Full-Name Basis: Jin Fu.
- Fun with Acronyms: Doctor Ego, though his nickname comes from his initials ('Ellsworth Gregory Owen').
- Heavy Sleeper: Max. He has tried to get medication for that, but reading all those informative labels is so tiring...
- Hitman with a Heart: Jade Lockhart, a mercenary hired to kill Sam, who also happens to be his ex-girlfriend.
- Last-Name Basis: Hooks. Supplemental material on DeviantArt states his first name is Roland.
- Meaningful Name: Hooks. He has a hook hand as a part of a family in-joke.
- Mood-Swinger: Axel. He goes from polite gentleman to violent raging lunatic and back in matter of seconds.
- Mouthy Kid: Mike. He just doesn't know when to shut up.
- Mr. Exposition: Hooks mainly takes this role when explaining wonders of 2500 to Mike. This is lampshaded by Sam at one point.
- No New Fashions in the Future: Sam wears stereotypical pirate apparel, Jin Fu sports a men's kimono, and Hooks's attire resembles a cowboy.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: The woman at the World Main Office.
"Here's form 26855B. Stamps required here, here and here. Appropriate stamps can be acquired from floors 8, 17 and 23. By the way, the elevator's out of order."
- Oh, Crap!: See Who Is Driving?
- Also one from the whole crew when they discover that Axel has stolen the Heart of Darkness.
- Pun-Based Title: The name Aivoton Aikamatka is a play on finnish name of R. L. Stine's Tick Tock, You're Dead!
- Sadist Teacher: All Mike's teachers have shades of this, but the biology teacher Mr. Oldman is the worst offender.
- Schizo Tech: Sam's weapon is half-rifle, half-sword. Which both are outdated from their point of view. Also, see Cool Air Ship.
- Shout-Out: The class bully is named Jim Hopkins as a shout out to Bully.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Jade Lockhart's injuries during the Casino battle are played for laughs.
- Star Scraper: See Bizarrchitecture above.
- Stillborn Serial: Section C, the prequel webcomic, which lasted for 5 pages.
- Taking You with Me: Attempted by Jade at the Casino.
- The Watson: Mike. His character file specifically says that his purpose in the story is to ask all the questions that audience would ask.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Mike. The kid's 12 and he knows about Newton's apocalyptic scenarios and is able to recognize Mandarin Chinese when spoken.
- Who Is Driving?: When Max joins others for breakfast. Quickly followed by Oh, Crap! moment.