During her youth, Kate was a badass
demon hunter. She was an orphan
who was taken in by agents of the Vatican and trained to fight demons
when they come to our dimension with their evil schemes.
But eventually she met Eric, her true love, and after years of being a Battle Couple
, they decided to retire, marry, and pursue a normal life.Jump forward fourteen years.
Kate's now on her second husband due to Eric's sudden but tragic death. She has daughter Allie, just about to turn fourteen, and son Timmy, aged two. And her past Buffy
type lifestyle is about to come home to roost. Can a mom with two kids and a bunch of housewife responsibilities keep Santa Diablo safe from demonkind's evil machinations?
That's the question Julie Kenner's Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom answers, often hilariously.
So far, the series consists of:
- Carpe Demon
- California Demon
- Demons Are Forever
- Deja Demon
- Demon Ex Machina
This series contains examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Kate gets pissed at demonkind for attacking her in her home, leaving mysterious artifacts around, and making her late for the only date her daughter is likely to invite her to.
- Back from the Dead: Kate's first husband, Eric, who is occupying the body of David Long, Allie's chemistry teacher.
- Bad Ass: Kate, Eddie, David. And Allie in training to become such.
- Bad Ass Family: Kate, Eddie, Allie and Eric.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Allie and her best friend Mindy slide close to this on some occasions.
- The Chosen One: Eric-in-David's-body
- Chekhov's Gun: One per book:
- Kate herself in the first book
- The bag full of saints' bones in the second.
- Eric's ring in the third.
- David/Eric himself in the fourth.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Subverted. Kate has a small handful of dishes she can make well, but what she makes best is orders from the local market/caterers.
- Full Name Ultimatum: Mother of two, it's only to be expected, particularly when one is a teenager.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Kate is a blonde, and cute and wholesome, continuing to hunt demons because it will keep her family and friends safe — virtuous!
- Half-Human Hybrid: Eric/David. Apparently he was unaware of his nature until it was exposed in Deja Demon.
- Happily Married: Kate and Eric. Not so much with Laura and her husband. and potentially not so much with Stuart and Kate.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Nadia.
- Honorary Uncle: Grandfather, actually, in the person of Eddie though Kate has allowed the family to believe there's a blood connection through Eric, Eddie is just another hunter.
- Housewife: Kate was one happily before demons came to town. Now she juggles housewifery with demon hunting.
- Improvised Weapon: Kate tends to wear barettes with metal clasps; good for stabbing demon possessed humans in the eye.
- Infant Immortality: Timmy, the youngest kid in the series, is most fiercely protected by Kate. Other kids may or may not survive, but they're usually high school age, and therefore nearly adults.
- Our Souls Are Different
- Demons can cohabit with people who have been tempted because the soul is willing to permit it.
- People who are of strong religious faith will, even at the moment of death, stick around and fight; to keep a demon out of their body until the body will no longer accept the presence of a life force.
- Red Herring: one a book.
- Religion is Magic: Holy Water will hurt/burn demons, even if it's only a couple drops in a glass of water or on a baby wipe.
- Romancing the Widow: Stuart marrying Kate.
- Running Gag: The family cars keep getting destroyed by demons.
- Seeking Sanctuary: Churches are safe ground from demons, and a lot of the important artifacts belonging to the Church are kept there.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Kate and Laura both can pull off thirtysomething devastating hotness when they set their minds to it.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: Allie for her chemistry teacher. And pretty much anything male. But it only lasts until she gets in on her mother's secret. Then there are more important things to focus on.
- With This Ring: Kate and Laura have conversations about Kate's fidelity and whether she's ever taken her wedding ring off since marrying Stuart.
- Allie wore a ring of her dead father's on a chain around her neck.