Funny: Top Secret!
As typical for a ZAZ! production, if you're not laughing every 30 seconds, it's because you're watching Top Secret! on cable and there's a commercial break.
But if you want examples of Funny Moments:
- Omar Sharif doing everything in his power to play the spy tropes serious, which only makes the movie funnier.
- How Sharif survives the car compacter. At least the windshield wipers still work...
- Nick's torture at the hands of the Germans. He passes out and imagines himself back in high school, the day of the big exam. When he wakes up he sees he's still being tortured.
Nick (relieved): Oh, Thank God.
- The entire scene of entering the Swedish used book store (with Peter Cushing!). Filmed backward, but executed flawlessly to appear going forward (well, except for them going upward a sliding pole and the dog).
- Here's the scene played forward. So deep is ZAZ's commitment they stuck in jokes that no one would hear!
- When Nick and Hilary make love, they roll passionately on the floor and the camera tries to discreetly turn to a nearby fireplace. But the couple rolls into view again, forcing the camera to discreetly turn again to yet another fireplace.
- And when they parachute with the French Resistance to rescue Hilary's father, they embrace yet again in mid-air... with yet another fireplace floating on its own parachute.
- Skeet surfing.
- The national anthem of East Germany.
Hail, hail, East Germanyland of fruit and grapeland where you'll regretif you try to escapeno matter if you tunnel underor take a running jump at the wallforget it, the guards will kill youif the electrified fence doesn't first
- Getting introduced to the French Resistance fighters.
Du Quois: This is Chevalier, Montage, Detente, Avant Garde, and Deja Vu.
Deja Vu: Haven't we met before?
Nick: I don't think so.
(Deja Vu nods, but then glares at Nick like he remembered something)
Du Quois: Over there, Croissant, Souffle, Escargot, and Chocolate Mousse.
- "How ironic! Another day and I would have completed my tunnel!"
- And you have to see the tunnel...
- But why would he want to escape to Joisey (according to the sign in the tunnel)...
- "No, that doesn't sound like Mel Torme."
- Nick: "Listen to me Hillary. I'm not the first guy who fell in love with a woman that he met at a restaurant who turned out to be the daughter of a kidnapped scientist only to lose her to her childhood lover who she last saw on a deserted island who then turned out fifteen years later to be the leader of the French underground."
Hillary: "I know. It all sounds like some bad movie."
(Beat, as the two turn slowly toward the camera.)
- For added hilarity, watch the movie with someone who has never seen it before. Shout "IT IS!" After Hilary's line right before the beat. See the look on your friend's face. Priceless.
- When La Résistance is attacked in their shed, there are closeups of feet running in one direction, and then the other direction, and then breaking into a synchronized dance routine.
- Nick and Hilary's ridiculous dance routine. A ZAZ trademark they would use in The Naked Gun.
- The ad-lib for the song "Spend This Night With Me".
"Oh, honey dumpling, I promise I'll even be nice to your momma".
- UNDERWATER SALOON FIGHT. You heard me.
- When Nigel reveals he is a traitor, he picks up a rifle leaning on a tree and the tree falls over.
- The dead carrier pigeon.
- For that matter, the flock of pigeons that escape Nigel's coat when Hillary discovers he's the mole.
- "And I will miss you most of all, Scarecrow!"
- The Travel Montage which turns into a game of Pac-Man.
- Nick and Hillary are riding in a hay wagon on their way to see The Torch; we hear a German drinking song being sung, and assume it's the driver. But the close-up shows us that it's the horse pulling the wagon who's doing the singing. As Nick and Hillary get down from the wagon, the horse lets loose with a hacking cough.
Nick (to the driver): Is he all right?Wagon Driver: Oh, yes. He caught a cold the other day, and he's just a little hoarse.Horse (as they're pulling away): It's been a hard day's night, und I've been vorking like a dog...
- Everybody now: "YAH, yah, YAH! YAAAAH!"
- Nick`s over the top performance of a love song (of the "slow" variety) complete with a do-wop backing chorus. When he goes into speaking in the middle sequence (Parodying Neil Sedaka), he stresses how he cannot live without "her", constantly trying to kill himself. Cue a gallows noose, a set of railroad tracks and a gas stove, suddenly appearing on stage!
- For that matter, how he "seduces" a young girl, who faints in his arms, only for him to literally dump her (with a laudable "thud") moments later. And the girls in the audience, reacting from the classical screaming to fainting, to getting visibly off on him...