- Granted, they're not part of the films themselves, but the blooper reels for the films are very funny.
- "Mr. Cotton! Do you have the courage and fortitude to follow orders and stay true in the face of danger and almost certain death?!"
Jack: Do you have the courage and fortitude to follow orders and stay...I love you man, let's just face the fact.
Jack: Do you have the courage to fortitude...
Jack: Do you have the courage and fortitude to follow orders and stay brave in the sea...oh, god, I hate this bloody line. Where are the writers? I'm gonna kill them...
- Not to mention, he said all of that last bit in character.
- On the deck after rescuing Elizabeth, Norrington is mocking Jack's equipment and then suddenly...
Johnny Depp: Was that a plane?
- At one point, Elizabeth appears to spontaneously explode.
- At the Pirate Council:
Johnny Depp: "Let us not, dear friends, forget our... lines. Yes! Let us not forget our lines."
- Johnny Depp forgetting the name of the Flying Dutchman and calling it The Davy Jones Crocodile Machine.
All that's left is for you to climb aboard the Davy Jones Crocodile Machine
or whatever it's called, what is the bloody thing called?
** The best part is that he says this almost entirely in character.
- At one point, the editing crew screws around by taking a ship battle scene, playing it in fast-motion, and adding in sounds of screeching tires and machineguns firing.
- There's also Orlando Bloom's "Aarrrr, swash swash, buckle buckle," and Tom Hollander and Johnny Depp's numerous tries to get a scene done (the bargain upon the Endeavour), which includes Hollander's haughty "I'm trying to work here," and Depp's "That be...You can't curse on a Disney film, mate. *pause in which the director confirms* ...see, I told you!"
- Context for the repeated failed shots: Hollander and Depp are filming the scene with a foghorn outside. It's so loud and close by that when it goes off, it nearly knocks both of them off their feet. Of course, this happens more than once...
- Actually, the scene is where a cannonball bursts through the room right before they shake hands to close the deal. The foghorn was there as a way for them to know when to act out being surprised of the explosion. They know it's coming so they have to simulate a realistic reaction if cannon ordnance suddenly bursts through right next to you. Being 'nearly knocked off your feet' is an understandable reaction to an explosion. Still, it is surprising so their reactions are more forced since it's not a cannonball but a very loud horn, simulating the force a cannonball would project when exploding nearby will need to be forced.
- Hollander doing an impromptu jig while filming a scene.
- Johnny Depp is the master of the in-character mess-up.
Gibbs: Let's put some distance between us and this island and head out to open sea.
(behind Jack, Pintel and Ragetti are late in getting into position for throwing a warm layer over Jack's shoulders)
Jack: Yes to the first, yes to the second, but only... (stumbles his line by the blanket showing up) so far as we keep to the- I'm just gonna start the take again, shall I?
- One take of the otherwise dramatic opening scene in Dead Man's Chest:
- (Beckett) *long beat, points* "Kill him!"
- (Governor Swann) "The charge is conspiring to set free a man convicted of...*takes a sigh with a long pause* ...I can't read my own writing. Crimes! Thank you very much!"
- If you look closely, you can also see Tom Hollander (Beckett) struggling not to crack up.
- This one ties into Governor Swann's above quote:
Beckett: The charges are conspiring to set free a man legally... lawfully... Sorry, I'm slightly confused because I didn't know which verse we were doing. Shall I say it or Jonathan (Governor Swann) say it?"
Governor Swann: It's my line, dear.
Governor Swann: It's all right. (Jokingly mimes while shaking his fist at Beckett as if he wants to punch his face.)
- Jack's conditions of help: "I shall help you to find the compass, if you'll do strange things to my dog. His name is Tim."
- Geoffrey Rush staying in character when he flubs his lines:
- "Calypso! I come before you as but a servant... *his hat is blown off* Ye blew my hat off, ye *bleep*!"
- "And I won't let the likes of Beckett Cutler... *pause* er, sometimes known as Cutler Beckett..."
- This beautiful exchange:
Will: HARD TO PORT! GATHER WAY! KEEP HER TRIM!
NAY, BELAY THAT! *long beat
* ...DO SOMETHING ELSE!
Will: *looks utterly terrified for a moment, before laughing*
- Geoffrey Rush accidentally hitting himself in the eye with his spyglass is known to cause giggles and sympathetic wincing at the same time.
Depp: That's powerful.
- Even funnier is the fact that Rush only hits himself in the eye because, when he goes to dramatically open the spyglass, he actually breaks it in half, leading to the above quote.
- Anytime someone fails to catch something.
- "There's a female presence here sir, all the men have felt her. No they haven't... "
- In another outtake, Depp is shooting the Locker scene where he swings from the Pearl onto the desert below. He preps, swings, the camera follows, and crash; Depp crashes onto the ground, having mistimed his landing.
Johnny Depp: *under his breath* "Oh, my god..." *gets right to his feet completely in-character*
- During the Parlay scene from At World's End, as Geoffrey Rush, Keira Knightley, and Johnny Depp are walking, Rush's hat flies off due to the wind. What does Depp do? Staying perfectly in the character of Jack Sparrow, he tosses his own hat off and strikes a dramatic pose.
- Jack's incident with the Jar of Dirt.
Jack: Why fight when you can negotiate? [Begins to remove Jar of Dirt from his pocket.] All one needs — [realizes his wig is caught in the jar while Will laughs] Help?
- Helicopters keep interrupting during On Stranger Tides
Johnny: What I want first...is Ponce de Leon's helicopter.
Scrum: ...or when an helicopter flies over your head, and you're supposed to be in the middle of the sea. It's not real.
Extra: It screws everything.
- "I'm Peter Pan!"
- Even funnier if you've played Kingdom Hearts 2. Due to the lack of a Neverland level in that game, Sora gets the Peter Pan/Tinkerbell summon in Port Royal instead.
- Johnny's numerous attempts to get the hat off Penelope's head.
Johnny: I think this take's going very well, don't you?
- Rush attempting to get his wooden leg back on.
Rush: No, it's broken.
Depp: Can't help you, mate. I don't want to touch it.
- The best part: both say this in character.
- "God, stop it, please!"
- Made funnier by the fact that Philip is a man of the cloth; this line works in and out of character.
- On Stranger Tides: Johnny appears from round the corner...with his hat on wonky. He notices, straightens it before backing out of the scene.
- "Same thing, only better, please."
- "Let us sail! To the Wounded, Diseased Canary!"
- "To the Dying Gull!" "To the Dying Gull."
- "Horrible name."
- The last Blooper in Dead Men Tell No Tales, Johnny Depp gets his foot stuck in a boat.
Jack: I'm dead. That's me, I won't be in 6.